Gunslinger or Game Manager?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the consensus among all the talking heads is... that the reason for Brett's newfound success is his ability to manage the game. They keep repeating it over and over assuming the great gunslinger, has been properly reigned in and is a changed man.

I disagree.

Brett has always been really good at the slant pass(maybe the best ever)... and this year MM has used it to perfection. however now, people assume that Favre throwing short slants is him managing a game compared to zingin it deep and into coverage.

I think its really a substitute to the run game and Brett is the same as he always has been. Mike McCarthy just happens to be using him more effectively. So while BF is upping his short distance 10 yard **** and dunks... he is still taking shots downfield and still making some silly Brett Favre throws. This year they just seem to be going more his way (accounted to both his confidence level and his recieving corps talent). I just get tired of the branding of the GUNSLINGER or the GAME MANAGER.
Hes just a QUARTERBACK playing in an effective offensive game plan with effective players around him. simple as that. right?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett would prefer it if you just called him "a football player".

Personally, I think Montana was the best slant passer. That is how all the yards and TD's with Rice occurred. SF was the king of the quick slant pass.

I think Brett is more patient this year as he is confident that his recievers will get open. I also feel that with his choice of 2 plays at the line, he is more confident in the play. He is looking short first and downfield second (unless he sees a mismatch like Jone's TD catch).

Wisdom can be mistaken for management.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre does both, when they are down on points he will be a gun slinger to see if some make the plays. That is why his interception record was so high. They always had to come back from behind. This year he is managing the game more and he is more protective of the ball. But thats because he can be, we have recievers catching the balls, running mostly the right routes. He now can count on his team not like before. He has and always will be the best QB IMO.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Favre has changed at all. What has changed is that he has more time (and protection) to throw the ball. Last year, he was running for his life. This year, he's got time.

Look back through the last four games and he's still making the same questionable turnover throws, each game has the ball bouncing off defenders hands (or penalties calling back turn overs).

The pass protection is the key. Give Brett time, and we really get to enjoy him. It is great fun getting to watch him enjoy the game. I also really like McCarthy's approach of throwing a lot. You've got a top QB, use him.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the consensus among all the talking heads is... that the reason for Brett's newfound success is his ability to manage the game. They keep repeating it over and over assuming the great gunslinger, has been properly reigned in and is a changed man.

I disagree.

Brett has always been really good at the slant pass(maybe the best ever)... and this year MM has used it to perfection. however now, people assume that Favre throwing short slants is him managing a game compared to zingin it deep and into coverage.

I think its really a substitute to the run game and Brett is the same as he always has been. Mike McCarthy just happens to be using him more effectively. So while BF is upping his short distance 10 yard **** and dunks... he is still taking shots downfield and still making some silly Brett Favre throws. This year they just seem to be going more his way (accounted to both his confidence level and his recieving corps talent). I just get tired of the branding of the GUNSLINGER or the GAME MANAGER.
Hes just a QUARTERBACK playing in an effective offensive game plan with effective players around him. simple as that. right?

Good post. I hate both terms as well. I think part of Favre's improvement is because McCarthy is giving him more latitude to call audibles. As a result, Favre is able to keep his head in the game more than he did under Sherman/Rossley. He's thinking out there, and that's a big part of the fun for him. The record-setting TD to Jennings, for example, was an audible.

By the way, I think the term "**** and dunk" should never be used with Brett Favre either. He throws the touch pass as well as anyone, but he always mixes in some really hard throws as well.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I disagree.

Good post. I hate both terms as well. I think part of Favre's improvement is because McCarthy is giving him more latitude to call audibles. As a result, Favre is able to keep his head in the game more than he did under Sherman/Rossley. He's thinking out there, and that's a big part of the fun for him. The record-setting TD to Jennings, for example, was an audible.

By the way, I think the term "**** and dunk" should never be used with Brett Favre either. He throws the touch pass as well as anyone, but he always mixes in some really hard throws as well.

Yeah, I think that the phrase "**** and dunk passes" apply to Brett the same way that "fat and ugly" apply to Jessica Alba.

They're just in a completely different universe. There was that near-int that hit Winfield square in the hands, and would have gone back for six, but I'm pretty sure that 'ol Antoine broke a couple metacarpals. :lol:

Members online

Latest posts