Gruden would be a perfect fit!! Why not?

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s still young, knows Green Bay, proven winner and he’s got the fire!! The last thing - “Fire” is what is lacking..our team is still young and impressionable...I think a GM like Eliot Wolf and Gruden would be a great combo....

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gruden did a poor job in Tampa. The team declined every year after the Super bowl. No thanks. We already have that with MM.

OP
OP
D

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gruden did a poor job in Tampa. The team declined every year after the Super bowl. No thanks. We already have that with MM.

Sure you could say that about a lot of coaches...Holgren for one...But I’d still take him over what we have now..

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s still young, knows Green Bay, proven winner and he’s got the fire!! The last thing - “Fire” is what is lacking..our team is still young and impressionable...I think a GM like Eliot Wolf and Gruden would be a great combo....
I've expressed my opinion of Gruden in the past. Please no!

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won a SB with Dungy's players and Callahan was too dumb to change up the plays. After that, the guy won 0 playoff games in six seasons. That said, he's better than McGarbage.

Last edited:

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gruden is overrated. He won a Super Bowl against a team he knew like the back of his hand with one of the greatest defenses of all time and was pretty much mediocre after that.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gruden is overrated. He won a Super Bowl against a team he knew like the back of his hand with one of the greatest defenses of all time and was pretty much mediocre after that.

True, but he had little talent to work with after Sapp, Rice, and Lynch left town.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly.
But at this point I would rather the WHOLE Wisconsin Badgers coaching staff.
How can anyone disagree?
Bucky football is 10-0 and in the top 10.
And we got Jim Leonard, a former Badger/pro, Wisconsin fave and media darling.
Can't go wrong with these guys!

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want him just so I can see a Packers fan show up on TV at Lamebeau with a Chucky doll wearing a miniature sized home made cheese head hat.

And I dunno why I always see so much disinterest or dislike of Gruden.
I like him as a MNF commentator.
For me, he is a good replacement/substitute for Jon Madden. His love for the game is expressed when he broadcasts.
As a coach? I dunno how he is or how he would do. All I know is that he still really studies the game.
I don't want him to coach for selfish reasons so that I can continue to enjoy his time on TV.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
How can anyone disagree?
No thanks. Can't remember the successful coach making the move from college directly to the NFL. Besides, who have the Badgers defeated thusfar? A schedule full of the likes of Jack and Harry's Polytechnical University.

Now that I've said that ... F*** 'em Bucky!!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
No thanks. Can't remember the successful coach making the move from college directly to the NFL. Besides, who have the Badgers defeated thusfar? A schedule full of the likes of Jack and Harry's Polytechnical University.

They've avoided a "bad" loss to one of the patsies on their schedule which most other college teams cannot say.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The camera picked up a fan wearing a shirt with that phrase during a crowd shot.
LOL

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Wisconsin Badger love fest wanting them come to the Packers needs to stop (bitter Hawkeye fan from yesterday). Fans got way to emotional when Abbrederis got a season ending injury in 2014.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
They've avoided a "bad" loss to one of the patsies on their schedule which most other college teams cannot say.

Unless you count Pete Carroll who originally came from the college ranks to become an assistant in the NFL, then eventually went back to College, then back to the NFL. :confused:

Reaction score
No NO NOOO! If Gruden comes aboard we’ll never hear the end of the “Turkey Hole” passing strategy game plan.:rolleyes:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can anyone disagree?
You just said the reason without realizing it. They are the perfect fit for Wisconsin's college football program due to their experience in the system, the fan base, recruiting preferences, etc. Disrupting that chemistry would be asininie. Their coaching styles/chemistry would also not translate well over to the NFL due to having dozens of different players on the team who would come from multpile conferences & team systems.

In NCAAF, you can truly build through the "draft" and groom players to fit your system. The NFL is an entirely different animal due to trades, free agency, player age (regression), etc. Not to mention it takes a certain personality to coach a collegiate team...that's why you rarely see successful collegiate coaches of major programs make it in the NFL; someone like Lou Holtz is perfect for college, but someone like Bill Cowher is perfect for the NFL, etc. Paul Chryst and his team are destined for the NCAA. End of story.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think he's overrated, I find it real hard to believe he didn't have ANY job offers.

The problem with that though is that assuming he did, that he would turn them down tells me he's not serious about getting back into coaching or wants to.

I know the argument is going to be "well, none of those offers had Aaron Rodgers as QB in them." Problem is elite QB or not, at the end of the day coaching is one of those tasks that you have to be into, and I don't think I've ever heard of a coach who went out of football for 9 years and returned to it.

And I dunno why I always see so much disinterest or dislike of Gruden.

Personally, I don't think it's any dislike of Gruden himself that irritates people. What you have to remember is that John Gruden and Bill Cowher are the 2 most commonly brought up coach names by just about every NFL fan whenever they get discontent with their current regime. Also, I can definitely say there just is a constant rumor mill that flies around that both have definitively said they're going to get back to coaching "very soon." It gets annoying because there's been no evidence since the last coaching gigs of both to suggest such things.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with that though is that assuming he did, that he would turn them down tells me he's not serious about getting back into coaching or wants to.

I know the argument is going to be "well, none of those offers had Aaron Rodgers as QB in them." Problem is elite QB or not, at the end of the day coaching is one of those tasks that you have to be into, and I don't think I've ever heard of a coach who went out of football for 9 years and returned to it.

Personally, I don't think it's any dislike of Gruden himself that irritates people. What you have to remember is that John Gruden and Bill Cowher are the 2 most commonly brought up coach names by just about every NFL fan whenever they get discontent with their current regime. Also, I can definitely say there just is a constant rumor mill that flies around that both have definitively said they're going to get back to coaching "very soon." It gets annoying because there's been no evidence since the last coaching gigs of both to suggest such things.
Count me as one with a definite dislike for him. I've said it before, but his defense of Warren Sapp after the hit on Chad Clifton and then a similar response years later supporting Danny Trevathon's hit on Davante Adams. If that is the kind of play he likes... I don't want him coaching any team I follow. We don't need a return of the Forest Gregg years.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Count me as one with a definite dislike for him. I've said it before, but his defense of Warren Sapp after the hit on Chad Clifton and then a similar response years later supporting Danny Trevathon's hit on Davante Adams. If that is the kind of play he likes... I don't want him coaching any team I follow. We don't need a return of the Forest Gregg years.

Yeah that's true, just seems though that it just gets constantly circulated that he's coming back to coaching when I've never heard or seen any moves out of him to suggest he is.

On another note, I take back what I said about that 9-year absentee though. Just remembered **** Vermeil was out of football for 15 years before coming back and being the architect of the Rams' greatest show on turf. But I'd say that's very much an exception to the rule.

Members online

Latest posts