Gruden shopping for assistants to return to coaching?

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking Raiders because of Carr. If for some reason McCarthy gets fired, I guarantee Gruden would come here in a heartbeat and possibly with a discounted price.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport specifically named the Buccaneers as Jon Gruden's "preferred" team if he chooses to leave ESPN for a return to coaching. Obviously the Raiders are not an option because he would only return as a head coach. Until another team is named as a possible suitor for both sides, anything beyond what has been reported so far is just dreaming.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell no. He ran Tampa into the ground in a few years. We can find better.

Look with what he did with Rich Gannon. AR is at bare minimum 1.5 times the qb he was. Tampa had no talent and probably didn't have a GM that was worth a ****. His stint in Oakland was phenomenal and worth the risk. A offensive mind like him with AR has a very good chance of succeeding. And if missing the playoffs by 1 game in his last year is running the franchise into the ground, then I think I'd take him ahead of MM right now.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport specifically named the Buccaneers as Jon Gruden's "preferred" team if he chooses to leave ESPN for a return to coaching. Obviously the Raiders are not an option because he would only return as a head coach. Until another team is named as a possible suitor for both sides, anything beyond what has been reported so far is just dreaming.

That is the assumption Green Bay isn't open. But if it is open, who are we kidding? Green Bay with AR is 10 times the job Tampa is now. Just fire the ******* at DC then this team looks like a SB contender.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't these Gruden rumors been ongoing for several years now? This story is likely clickbait, nothing more.

Obviously, him coming to Green Bay is laughable. McCarthys gonna be around for a long time. Once Rodgers is back it's business as usual.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is the assumption Green Bay isn't open. But if it is open, who are we kidding? Green Bay with AR is 10 times the job Tampa is now. Just fire the ******* at DC then this team looks like a SB contender.

Only Packers fans on this forum are suggesting a possibility of firing Mike McCarthy. Can you find any NFL Network anaylsts who believe therre is a realistic chance McCarthy is on the hot seat despite not having Aaron Rodgers for eight weeks?

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't these Gruden rumors been ongoing for several years now? This story is likely clickbait, nothing more.

Obviously, him coming to Green Bay is laughable. McCarthys gonna be around for a long time. Once Rodgers is back it's business as usual.

The difference this year is Jon Grudenactually said he is considering a return to coaching. In the past he always was quick to say, "I love my job at ESPN," before anything could come out of it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Only Packers fans on this forum are suggesting a possibility of firing Mike McCarthy. Can you find any NFL Network anaylsts who believe therre is a realistic chance McCarthy is on the hot seat despite not having Aaron Rodgers for eight weeks?

In my opinion it's a given McCarthy will return as the team's head coach for the 2018 season.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They are 6-12-1 without Rodgers since 2008 and 0-3 in games he left in the 1st quarter due to injury. 22 games is not a small sample size. I don't care what other analysts think, his seat needs to be warm. You're right he probably won't be fired but that record is unacceptable.

D

Deleted member 6794

They are 6-12-1 without Rodgers since 2008 and 0-3 in games he left in the 1st quarter due to injury. 22 games is not a small sample size. I don't care what other analysts think, his seat needs to be warm. You're right he probably won't be fired but that record is unacceptable.

While I totally agree that record is unacceptable I believe a lack of talent is mostly to blame for it.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Analysts do not about Mike McCarthy being on the hot seat because there have been no signs of it even being a possibility.

Did I actualy say anything about there being too small a sample size? Probably not. I said we don't have the right guy to be our QB2.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ian Rappaport just reported he is contacting his posse for a return....Packers perhaps? I am down!
Are Packers fans the types to show up with Chucky dolls?
It is so Raiders-ish. Is it Packers-ish?
It would be fun to see them wearing little cheese hats.
So please let this happen!
For the Chucky Cheese! For the Chucky Cheese! For the Chucky Cheese!
C'mon. Everybody join in the chant!
For the Chucky Cheese! For the Chu....
Guys? Um.... guys? Hello?
OK, I'll just... um.... go over here... uh...yeah.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I totally agree that record is unacceptable I believe a lack of talent is mostly to blame for it.
Good GM's find talent in the draft or sign talent in free agency. Good coaches adapt to that talent and overcome any deficiencies.

Look at our military, for example. Hardly anyone is born as a top-notch soldier. EVERYONE needs to be coached in order to be the best. Sure, many of them have already possess great skills that align with a successful future in the armed forces, but even those soldiers require a great deal of coaching. Their superiors are masters at coaching to their strengths and minimizing their weaknesses.

No matter the industry, lack of talent should never be an excuse. Rather, it is lack of adaptation. A good coach/mentor will ALWAYS find a way to turn a scrub into a star (in a team aspect at the very least). COACHING. COACHING. COACHING.

D

Deleted member 6794

Been there, done that as a fan. I have seen it both ways. Here is how to tell: What changed this year? If all you can name are injuries to starters, it is not coaching.

I believe that cosching is partly to blame for the team's struggles, especially on defense, but it's not the only reason.

Good GM's find talent in the draft or sign talent in free agency. Good coaches adapt to that talent and overcome any deficiencies.

Actually I don't care if a lack of talent or poor coaching is mostly to blame for the defense struggling anymore. Thompson and Capers had seven years to fix it and weren't able to. Therefore both have to be replaced.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference this year is Jon Grudenactually said he is considering a return to coaching. In the past he always was quick to say, "I love my job at ESPN," before anything could come out of it.

Close - a pay raise came out of it, THEN he loved his broadcasting job

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, I wonder how many coaches have a winning record when playing with their backup QB. You really need amazing talent in your team to overcome an injury to your star starting QB.
The colts (with Manning injured and now with Luck) barely win games without their starting QB, the cards have a losing record since Palmer went down, the Raiders weren't a real playoff team anymore without Carr last year.

So the record when Rodgers is down is not the most relevant criteria when evaluating the coaches for me.

However I would also be for a replacement of Capers. The performance is bad since years, besides investing most of the draft picks in the defense.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
To be honest, I wonder how many coaches have a winning record when playing with their backup QB. You really need amazing talent in your team to overcome an injury to your star starting QB.
The colts (with Manning injured and now with Luck) barely win games without their starting QB, the cards have a losing record since Palmer went down, the Raiders weren't a real playoff team anymore without Carr last year.

So the record when Rodgers is down is not the most relevant criteria when evaluating the coaches for me.

However I would also be for a replacement of Capers. The performance is bad since years, besides investing most of the draft picks in the defense.
The Colts have never had much talent around Manning/Luck. That's the GM's fault as well.

The Cardinals with or without Palmer this year hasn't been a huge difference. They were 3-3 in games he started and completed this season, and were on its way to 3-4 before he got injured in the 2nd quarter. Rams beat them 33-0.

The other 8 games without Palmer? 4-4. The results are remarkably similar.

The Patriots and Steelers exemplify good examples of teams that are exceptionally well ran that have been able to win games when Brady or Big Ben have been out of the lineup. Expecting the Packers to be able to do the same is not an unrealistic idea.

H

HardRightEdge

The Vikings are doing pretty well with what amounts to their 3rd. option at QB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts