Groundhog day

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The following are casual observations from the embarrassment that was the Packers' game last night:

We are down to Fisher, a decent utility back, and Gado, a young untested kid with development potential. Given that the defense was obviously prioritizing shutting down the run, and doing so very well, would you not at least try to disguise your intentions and mix it up a little with down/distance and formation. I knew where most of our runs were going...so did the Vikings.

Donald Driver and, to a lesser extent, Chatman, are the two receivers Favre has any trust in. Just like last time, the Viking's defense rolled double coverage to Driver, and we kept forcing the issue. The first Int was a great move by the d-back and a poor route by Thurman. The second was the defense responding to what they had already seen many times in both contests with the Packers. An inevitable outcome when you force it to Driver in double coverage.

Given that we are down to our 3rd and 5th RB, and are missing 3 of our top 5 WRs, the TEs, an already strong group, becomes the defacto strength of the offense. They worked early, and they worked late during panic mode.........but for 3 whole quarters, Mike Sherman...a former TEs coach no less....chose to completely ignore the strongest group of players he has on offense.

The defense DID NOT lose this game...they were abandoned by the offense for the entire second half and were just plain physically spent.

Look at the first half stats for both teams and compare to the second half. One coach went into the half and made the right adjustments, one coach did nothing or made the wrong adjustments. Guess which is which!

Mike Sherman excited me the first 2 year of his tenure as head coach, he began to concern me with 4th and 26 and his subsequent response in hastily firing Donatell and hiring crony Slowik. His increasing frequency of strategic and tactical errors last year made me lose some respect for him, getting outcoached twice by Mike "Meathed" Tice makes me believe he must go....whether or not Favre goes with him.

To his credit, or possibly the players strong ethic, Mike Sherman continues to get good effort out of his players, but his glaring inability as a coach is killing this team. You have to know that despite their effort, their are an increasing number of players in that locker room that have lost faith in the guy....just like many of us fans.

Net, musccy....you cannot defend last night or the first Queens game. We were simply outcoached both times....BY MIKE TICE for Christ's sake!!!!

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised that GB was not using their TEs.
Were they injured or something?

Btw,for all that pregame hype, Gado is nothing special.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All three TE's were health, and all three have made some big-time clutch plays throughout the year, all three appear to have Favre's confidence, and big Mike, "offensive genius" decided no to use them.

Gado is a developmental prospect with much potential. Let's face it, the defense prioritized stopping the run because they knew other WR's could not get open, allowing them to double Driver, whom MS would continue to dial up in spite of the double, and then completely ignore the TEs.

Pathetic!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Digs I was at the game and everyone at Lambeau could tell you what play will come from the offense, and YES after the second quarter Tice made the right corrections and Shermy didnt, I was also impressed by his first two years but now I want him out of Green Bay !!!! OUTCOACHED BY TICE !!! 3 times in one year !!!

Members online

Latest posts