Ground Rules for all Packer fans

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it was Batman who said, "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain." The "Purple Favre Situation" is complicated for any cheesehead. Lets lay down some ground rules:

1. Despite what team Favre plays for this year (or in the years to come), despite what he may say or what he may do, it will always be okay to wear a Favre Packer jersey. Regardless of what will happen with Favre's legacy, the green and gold #4 epitomizes the Super Bowl XXXI era.

2. We should keep up with Favre stats, records, highlights, etc, however, under no circumstances shall we buy, and/or wear, a Purple Favre jersey. There may be some sticky situtations...For instance, posters which illustrate Favre playing for the Pack, Jets, and Vikings. These are considered couth so long as favre as a Packer is highlighted.

3. Lets say, God forbid, that the Packers do not enter the playoffs, but the vikes do (under the helm of Favre), then it is okay to cheer on the Vikings. HOWEVER, this cheering must NOT be done with Vikings fans. This cheering must be done in solitude; preferably in a basement or other secrete location, if done at all.

4. As Terrell Owens would say "thats my quarterback." If Brett and Rodgers both have a statistically equal season, and are both in the running for league MVP, we vote for Rodgers. He is not only a Packer, he's our quarterback.

5. Friends don't let friends cheer for the Vikings. Unless of course there is something in it for GB, such as having the vikes beat the bears leading to Packer divisional supremisy. .

6. Packer loyalty trumps Favre loyality. Emotions will fly with this rule, especially considering the way Favre was treated by Teddy. Furthermore, arguments could be made that Favre created the Packers as we now know them today. However, as a third generation Packer fan, I don't want to tell future cheeseheads that people jumped ship and became Viking fans because 39 year old Favre wanted one more shot. We need to stay the course. Which leads to rule number 7...

7. When the Pack play the Vikings, we cheer for the Packers to win, but for Favre to have a decent game. This is nothing against our defense. We always want them to do well. However, rule number 7 is a compromise between maintaing loyality between both the Packers and Favre. We should not necessarily cheer against Favre; even as the leader of our bitter rival. If you feel the need to boo #4, this is acceptable in any stadium except Lambeau Field; consider instead the silent treatment.

8. We must remember that Favre's legacy is his to do with however he pleases.

9. No matter the odds, we should never count Favre out. Two years? Two more teams? I hope not. But then again, Steve Deberg, Vinny Testaverde, and Warren Moon were all starting QBs at the age of 44.

Go Pack!
-J. Krelt

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But - is it okay to wear a VIKING #4 jersey at Lambeau? I'm a Packer fan. I don't care who Favre plays for, he isn't a Packer any more and hasn't worn green and gold for a while now. If you want to cheer for a guy on divisional rival its a free country. But I wouldn't be caught dead in a MN, Bear or Lion jersey no matter WHOSE name is on said jersey.

OP
OP
jkrelt

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great question, Pugger. The answer is no. It is never okay to attend Lambeau Field in any other team jersey; especially the Vikings.

Please consult rule #6. Even in the temple Favre built, it is never okay to wear a Vikes jersey in the Mother Land (Lambeau); even if Farve's name is on back.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will too bad if I simply cheer for the vikes to be obliterated when and if they got to the playoffs? I mean, they face any other team that's not chicago, I will cheer for the other team.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it was Batman who said, "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain." The "Purple Favre Situation" is complicated for any cheesehead. Lets lay down some ground rules:

1. Despite what team Favre plays for this year (or in the years to come), despite what he may say or what he may do, it will always be okay to wear a Favre Packer jersey. Regardless of what will happen with Favre's legacy, the green and gold #4 epitomizes the Super Bowl XXXI era.

2. We should keep up with Favre stats, records, highlights, etc, however, under no circumstances shall we buy, and/or wear, a Purple Favre jersey. There may be some sticky situtations...For instance, posters which illustrate Favre playing for the Pack, Jets, and Vikings. These are considered couth so long as favre as a Packer is highlighted.

3. Lets say, God forbid, that the Packers do not enter the playoffs, but the vikes do (under the helm of Favre), then it is okay to cheer on the Vikings. HOWEVER, this cheering must NOT be done with Vikings fans. This cheering must be done in solitude; preferably in a basement or other secrete location, if done at all.

4. As Terrell Owens would say "thats my quarterback." If Brett and Rodgers both have a statistically equal season, and are both in the running for league MVP, we vote for Rodgers. He is not only a Packer, he's our quarterback.

5. Friends don't let friends cheer for the Vikings. Unless of course there is something in it for GB, such as having the vikes beat the bears leading to Packer divisional supremisy. .

6. Packer loyalty trumps Favre loyality. Emotions will fly with this rule, especially considering the way Favre was treated by Teddy. Furthermore, arguments could be made that Favre created the Packers as we now know them today. However, as a third generation Packer fan, I don't want to tell future cheeseheads that people jumped ship and became Viking fans because 39 year old Favre wanted one more shot. We need to stay the course. Which leads to rule number 7...

7. When the Pack play the Vikings, we cheer for the Packers to win, but for Favre to have a decent game. This is nothing against our defense. We always want them to do well. However, rule number 7 is a compromise between maintaing loyality between both the Packers and Favre. We should not necessarily cheer against Favre; even as the leader of our bitter rival. If you feel the need to boo #4, this is acceptable in any stadium except Lambeau Field; consider instead the silent treatment.

8. We must remember that Favre's legacy is his to do with however he pleases.

9. No matter the odds, we should never count Favre out. Two years? Two more teams? I hope not. But then again, Steve Deberg, Vinny Testaverde, and Warren Moon were all starting QBs at the age of 44.

Go Pack!
-J. Krelt
I think this is VERY good, and won't condemn any packer fan that follow these rules. Except for #3. Any self respecting Packer fan would NEVER cheer for the vikings. I won't cheer for Favre either, but IMO it's okay if one wants him to do well. As long as the vikings loose. It's kind of contraditory, but you can cheer for him (I won't), and still root against the vikings. It's doable.

OP
OP
jkrelt

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is VERY good, and won't condemn any packer fan that follow these rules. Except for #3. Any self respecting Packer fan would NEVER cheer for the vikings. I won't cheer for Favre either, but IMO it's okay if one wants him to do well. As long as the vikings loose. It's kind of contraditory, but you can cheer for him (I won't), and still root against the vikings. It's doable.

Personally, I love to watch Brett Farve play the game of football. Coming from the era of guys like Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, and Sterling Sharpe, Farve is a living legend. I like watching the Fave highlight reel. He has always been a helluva player. Gentlemen, as I put the drama aside, my respect for Brett Farve, the NFL quarterback remains regardless of what color his helmet may be wearing this year. Its difficult to understand Favre off the field, but that is a topic for a different thread.

About rule #3....
I'm guessing most of us reading this forum have been watching the Pack long before Favre ever suited up in the green and gold. Therefore, I'm assuming most of us haven't forgot about the Favre era in Wisconsin and how awesome it was for many years. Given Favres impact on not only the game of football, but on the great state of Wisconsin, I think it is perfectly ok to follow rule #3...just make sure to follow it up with rules 5, 6, and 7. Obviously, without Favre in purple rule 3 goes out the window.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But - is it okay to wear a VIKING #4 jersey at Lambeau? I'm a Packer fan. I don't care who Favre plays for, he isn't a Packer any more and hasn't worn green and gold for a while now. If you want to cheer for a guy on divisional rival its a free country. But I wouldn't be caught dead in a MN, Bear or Lion jersey no matter WHOSE name is on said jersey.

wow you really nailed it ... i say NO WAY ... i have to tell you i went to the last game ... i was in club seats way on top ... yup i saw 2 number 4 queens jerseys .. i felt violated in a bad way ... whats that QUEENS JERSEY DOING HERE ... it was just too much purple for my eyes ... then in my head i heard that STUPID HORN ... no way ... i say if you wanna make a statment by wearing a number 4 to lambeau please i beg you wear a packers 4 ...

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ohh ,, and im not bagging on number 4 at all ... i say let the man play ball .. like i said i think it really brings life to the NFC ... its going to be a great season ... yea so i was just saying no purple #4 jerseys at lambeau .. i mean in the end we are all packers fans ,, well most anyway ...

OP
OP
jkrelt

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ohh ,, and im not bagging on number 4 at all ... i say let the man play ball .. like i said i think it really brings life to the NFC ... its going to be a great season ... yea so i was just saying no purple #4 jerseys at lambeau .. i mean in the end we are all packers fans ,, well most anyway ...

That is great. I wish I would have thought of that rule "no purple #4 jerseys at Lambeau." That would have really completed the list....I could have called the list the 10 Green and Gold Commandments or something....lol

On second thought, this stuff is getting way to biblical already.... A buddy of mine is already referring to years in the NFL in B.F and A.F (Before Favre and After Favre)...you know like B.C and A.D. According to him all time is relative to 1991, Brett's rookie year. Pretty over the top, but pretty funny (maybe you had to be there!).

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I believe it was Batman who said, "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain."
That was Harvey Dent. Sorry, The Dark Knight is my favorite movie, I felt like I had to correct you. Lol. Don't mind my nerdishness.:star-wars:

Moving on to the actual point of this topic:

7. When the Pack play the Vikings, we cheer for the Packers to win, but for Favre to have a decent game
Nope. When we play Favre, I will spend 3 hours rooting for a few things, the Packers, and for Favre to throw about 30 picks and maybe tear a knee.

Doesn't change what he did for the Pack, I'll always hold him in high regard for bringing us a Super Bowl, but he's the Vikings quarterback. And short of actually losing their lives, I wish nothing but the worst on those purple bastards.

OP
OP
jkrelt

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha ha. I should have remembered it was Harvey Dent. Someone reminded me that the quotation isn't perfect either. Oh well.

Anyways, I think most ppl are with ya. With or without Favre, the Vikings are bitter enemies. Personally, Favre has been a helluva player in my eyes. I like to see him do well. Then again, I really want our defense to do well this year as well. So I had to make a compromise.... Packers win, Favre a good game.

I don't want just any quarterback to do well against our new 3-4 scheme. But like I said, I still enjoy watching him make plays regardless of what color helmet he may be wearing. No don't confuse me here, there are a handful of other Vikqueens who use to be Packers...they can all go down in flames with the rest of the Purple horn blowin' pansies. But Favre is an extraordinarly different situation. Either way, the NFC North should be a fun division to watch this year!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Speaking of the Vikings Air Horn.

Can't wait to see them blowing their damn horns each time Favre completes a pass. Dude, he completed a pass!! You know what that means.

BBBLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I would love to be in charge of the Stadium horn or sountraack. Then hit it every time he got up, sat down, pulled on his helmet or farted.

LOL

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. When we play Favre, I will spend 3 hours rooting for a few things, the Packers, and for Favre to throw about 30 picks and maybe tear a knee.

Doesn't change what he did for the Pack, I'll always hold him in high regard for bringing us a Super Bowl, but he's the Vikings quarterback. And short of actually losing their lives, I wish nothing but the worst on those purple bastards.

Couldn't have said it any better. I don't hate him, I just hate him now. And maybe for some years, but somewhere in the future we will all be able to look back and laugh.

And hope we can all laugh on oct. 5 and nov. 1. :happy0005:

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May I suggest to all the back-turners and do not wear the Favre in purple jerseys people that the best revenge would be to not let the purple-nurples into the stadium at all. I mean buy up all those tickets...there should never be any stupid horns blowing at Lambeau for crying out loud (unless it's a tailgate signal of some sorts). There won't be any purple Favre jerseys on our turf if you buy up all the tickets. I know, some of those sneaky suckers will still manage to get a few tix, but really the best revenge I can think of against Favre would be to wear a Rogers jersey, or Driver, or somebody other than Favre. It's time to put the Favre jersey in the back of the closet. Clean it one last time...fold it up, and LEAVE it there for the next 7 years or so when he gets inducted to the Hall Of Fame as a Packer (yes he will). Put the Green and Gold 04 in storage, just like those baby clothes from 12 years ago, or your old high school rock concert tee-shirts...put them away already. Then when Favre looks up into our stands, he won't see 60,000 Green and Gold 04 jerseys, he will see all the people he let down by playing for the other team !! Show him we have moved on, that is the best revenge.

OP
OP
jkrelt

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about making fun of Favre? Can we do that?

Absolutely. Making fun of Brett Favre is a lot of fun. Anyone who has seen that **** Favre video on YouTube can contest. However, on the football field, making fun of Favre is not acceptable in Lambeau Field. Any other field in the NFL is fair game. #4 deserves to not have hecklers in the stadium he helped build; after 16 straight seasons, a Super Bowl, and a 29 game home winning streak, we owe him that much....just barely. Of course, this rule would change if Favre went totally purple crazy and mooned the crowd like Randy Moss did after scoring a touchdown. Then all bets are off.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw something great when I watched a replay of the Bills/Pack preseason game last week. The camera showed a section of fans at Lambeau and there was a gal wearing her G&G #4 jersey. She used thick red tape and made a circle over the number with a red diagonal slash thru it!!

Members online

Latest posts