Griese to Chicago

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is still only 31 years old. They had to do something because they still do not know if Grossman is injury prone or just unlucky.
I would like to see an open competition for the starting job and not have it just given to Grossman from day one. Let the better QB play no matter who that might be.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is more of a reflection on the health of Grossman than Orton's play. Orton wasn't that bad for a rookie but like all rookies needs a bit of time. Griese will be there when Grossman isn't over the next few years.
Eventually Griese and Grossman will be replaced by Orton.

shoopster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Indeed did the bunch of bums currently calling themselves Chicago Bears finally made a decent signing on offense, the first since Jerry "Slick" Angelo has taken over. Brian "Big'N" Griese is there to serve as a backup, but given "Rx" Grossman's history of bad health, Brian "Big'N" Griese will be the starter by week 3 . . .

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hahahahahahaa... Yup. Laugh it up boys.
Is there any team in the NFL who's QB situation is more uncertin than the Packers right now?
Hahahahahahahaaa......

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not call a soon to be 37 year old QB coming off a shaky season while admitting that he is not sure if he wants the ball in his hands with the game on the line solid by any means. That is if he really comes back at all because you can take anything that he says about playing with a grain of salt at this point.
That is also if he stays healthy because if he gets hurt then you have Aaron Rodgers with nothing more than a few snaps under his belt in the NFL as the starter and he looked shaky at best even then. He has thrown a total of 16 passes with a pick for a QB rating of 39.8.
I thought that Packer fans claimed that Kyle Orton was a major bust because he had a passer rating of 59.7?
Orton is way ahead of Rodgers and he will be the 3rd stringer here.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre or grossman...hmmm...

Favre or orton...hmmmmm...

Favre or Griese...hmmmm...

why r u here?

Reaction score
Phil, I agree that Orton is ahead of Rodgers at this point. But lets not forget that Orton is also 2 years older than Rodgers. That means Orton has had 2 more years experience at tougher competition at Rodgers. While both Orton and Rodgers have a steep learning curve, Rodgers is even steeper because of the fact that he hasn't had the exposure of top competition like Orton.

As for Favre, can you blame the guy for questioning if he would want the ball in crunch time? Would you want the ball in your hands if all you had to throw to were a bunch of NFLE type players? The best players were injured, and the only other good one, Driver, was covered. Not to many people would be thrilled with having the ball when the game is on the line with those players. And as Bruce said, real men with integrity always question themselves.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and I said pretty much the same thing back in August of last year. I thought that Orton was a steal for the Bears and he may end up being a better NFL QB than Rodgers. I said that the Packers could have taken a much-needed defensive player with their # 1 and still picked Orton at # 2 and I was ripped for that.
I was not making a "Kyle Orton is great" statement because I don't think that he is. I was just pointing out that the Bears 3rd string QB is better than the guy who still may end up being the starter for the Packers in 2006.

By the way, I still think that Favre questioning if he wants the ball is something that the Packers should be concerned with. I saw Michael Jordan and Walter Payton when they were surrounded by mediocre talent and they wanted that ball every time! You can not decide to be "The Man" just when you have the help to make you look good. You have to want it every day.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No comparison..Beartroll...

Jordan was an egotistical ball hog who stayed in the game way too long...

Favre is a warrior!

Basketball and football are different...

ONe guy CAN dominate in Basketball...not in football...

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No comparison..Beartroll...

Jordan was an egotistical ball hog who stayed in the game way too long...

Favre is a warrior!

Basketball and football are different...

ONe guy CAN dominate in Basketball...not in football...

You make less and less sense with every post.

How many times did Michael Jordan win a game in the last seconds?
If Favre does it he is a "warrior" but anyone else is an egotistical ball hog? Jordan was the greatest basketball player of all time and there was not a single team in the NBA that did not wish that he had played his career for them. He has 6 rings to show for being a egotistical ball hog.
Jordan stayed too long? Favre certainly cost the Packers more last year with his **** poor play then Jordan did at the end of his career. Who is staying too long?
I believe that I also mentioned Walter Payton wanting the ball with the game on the line. Are you going to say that he was a stiff too?

Basketball and football are different? Wow! Thanks for filling us in on that earth shattering news Einstein! What next, pizza and fried chicken are different too? Say it isn’t so!

One guy CAN dominate in Basketball...not in football? Who was talking about dominating a game in the first place? According to you Favre can dominate everything from a football game to controlling the weather with his nose hairs.

Your weirdo schoolgirl crush on Brett Favre makes you come off as a clown and your obnoxious manner makes you the biggest jerk on this board.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

By the way, I still think that Favre questioning if he wants the ball is something that the Packers should be concerned with. I saw Michael Jordan and Walter Payton when they were surrounded by mediocre talent and they wanted that ball every time! You can not decide to be "The Man" just when you have the help to make you look good. You have to want it every day.

Read the Quote below, it's a good one !!!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is not about being afraid of looking in the mirror, it is about being afraid of failing. If you are afraid of failure or adversity then why bother at all?
Step aside so someone with the courage to at least try can have their chance.

Reaction score
WOAH! I want to see proof of Brett saying he was afraid to fail. The fact is that Brett is cautious of coming back to a team that won't contend, because he wants another ring, or a chance at it. If Favre contributed to the demise, then who would you have at QB Phil? I take exception to you saying Brett is scared of failing.

First of all, if anyone of the Bear's QBs were starting for the Packers last year, I highly doubt the Packers would have won even a game. If Brett was on your team, then the fact is that there was an EXCELLENT chance that you would have been playing in the Superbowl. If you put Manning, Brady, hell even Marino behind our patheic line last year, and our injury depleted team, they would struggle to put up the numbers Brett put. His bad play didn't cost us that much, because the fact is his bad play was to be expected. You name me ONE player who could have made due with such a delpleated team last year, carrying them on their backs to the playoffs. Just one. No player can win in football on their own, week in week out. Truth is we were only even in half those games becaue Favre is the player he is, and the leader he is.

I draw the line at ANYONE, especially a Bear's fan, saying Favre is afraid of failing. This man has poured his heart and soul into the Packers, and has never once refused to do something because he thought he would fail. The only time he was reasonable afraid to fail was the game vs Oakland when his father passed away. He wanted to go and play for his dad, but by his own admissions, Favre said he was afraid like never before of going out and failing in the game. The guy gave it his all, but what is more important is that the team gave it their all for this one guy. This one guy who never quit on them, or himself. This one guy who is the last guy that anyone should question about being afraid to fail.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
WOAH! I want to see proof of Brett saying he was afraid to fail. The fact is that Brett is cautious of coming back to a team that won't contend, because he wants another ring, or a chance at it. If Favre contributed to the demise, then who would you have at QB Phil? I take exception to you saying Brett is scared of failing.

First of all, if anyone of the Bear's QBs were starting for the Packers last year, I highly doubt the Packers would have won even a game. If Brett was on your team, then the fact is that there was an EXCELLENT chance that you would have been playing in the Superbowl. If you put Manning, Brady, hell even Marino behind our patheic line last year, and our injury depleted team, they would struggle to put up the numbers Brett put. His bad play didn't cost us that much, because the fact is his bad play was to be expected. You name me ONE player who could have made due with such a delpleated team last year, carrying them on their backs to the playoffs. Just one. No player can win in football on their own, week in week out. Truth is we were only even in half those games becaue Favre is the player he is, and the leader he is.

I draw the line at ANYONE, especially a Bear's fan, saying Favre is afraid of failing. This man has poured his heart and soul into the Packers, and has never once refused to do something because he thought he would fail. The only time he was reasonable afraid to fail was the game vs Oakland when his father passed away. He wanted to go and play for his dad, but by his own admissions, Favre said he was afraid like never before of going out and failing in the game. The guy gave it his all, but what is more important is that the team gave it their all for this one guy. This one guy who never quit on them, or himself. This one guy who is the last guy that anyone should question about being afraid to fail.

Did I make up the quote about Favre questioning if he wants the ball in his hands with the game on the line? He said it, not me.
As far as being afraid of failing, what else would you use to describe that statement? Help me to understand how that quote from Favre shows that he is the ice water in his veins courageous hero that he think that he is.
What do you “thinkâ€

Reaction score
Look Phil, the past 4 years the media has blown it out of proportion. Look, perhaps the first two years were a little overblown, but the fact is good QB's have retired at 33 and 34. So it is natural to wonder if Brett would stick around.

The past two years have been called for. It was a really hard time for Brett to loose his father, and the fact is that no one was sure if he would want to come back after that. Then last year, he lost his brother in law and found out his wife had breast cancer. He faced a road in which he had to decide if his career was worth staying away from home, where seemingly so many problems were arrising. You cannot blame Brett for the media questioning his retirement for the past 2 years. Maybe they overblew it the first couple of years, but it is a real issue for now (after what his family went through in Katrina), and the it has been an issue the previous 2 years.

The quote said that Brett wasn't sure he wanted the ball in crunch time, with the game on the line. That does not mean that he is afraid to fail. Phil I am sure you can attest to this, if the game is on the line, a person's competitive nature kicks in. If you are good at what you do, then you want the ball because you think you can win. Brett never said he didn't think he could win, Brett questioned whether he had that competitive nature in him still to want the ball. As Winni pointed out, real men with integrity are not afraid to question themselves. What Brett did was merly point out that if he felt he wasn't willing to have the ball in his hands and lead the Packers on a last drive, whether or not he should be playing.

Brett has had the ball in his hands during the final two minutes many times. He has won a few, and also lost a few. Why on earth would he be afraid of loosing when he already has lost a few before. Answer me that Phil. Even Brett knows he can't win em all, and he isn't concerned with winning them all. Just going out there and doing his best. But he questioned whether that was possible if he didn't have the spirit and drive to want the ball in crunch time. He never ONCE said he was afraid to fail, because Brett will be the first to tell you he has failed on many occasions.

And you say I consider Brett a hero? Well I consider Brett to be a source of inspiration. This man has faced more adversity than most do in a lifetime, yet he has bounced back every time. He has NEVER missed a game, when it would have been easy for him to. He could have skipped one after his father died, but no. He honoured his father in a way that his father would have been proud. His wife lost her brother, found out she had breast cancer, and Brett lost a friend in Reggie White. He never once took a game off to deal with those distractions. He showed up for work and by God he did it with a smile. Then his family went through hell during Katrina, and fighting for their lives. Did he skip any games? NO! Brett has played with broken thumbs, something I think you would appreciate since Grossman struggles to stay healthy. Is Brett a hero, well it depends on the person you ask. But in mordern times, Brett is certainly inspiration for people that no matter how hard things get, you can make it through. I said it before, I take exception to anyone challenging this man's will and desire. Brett Favre is Brett Favre, but one thing Brett Favre is not is a coward (which means being afraid to loose).

Members online

Latest posts