Gregg Williams - the next GB defensive coordinator?

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Redskins have parted way with their Defensive Coordinator.

I would love to see this guy in GB....

Comments???

packer_backer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packers arent gonna can sanders. before him they had like 4 different d coachs in as many years. they already got 2 years of bob's scheme down, their not gonna make them learn a new one. i might be the only one who isnt fond of sanders vanilla penalty prone scheme.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not another DC!!
Gb def didn't do too bad compared to Washington:
Total Def 11 vs 8
Rush 14 vs 4
Pass 12 vs 16
Sacks 13 vs 16
Int 6 vs 23
Score 6 vs 11 (The only def stat I really care about.)
Keep in mind that outside of CB, the Packer defense is still very young with Pickett having the most exp with 7 years in the league. Which means hopefully they will only get better over the next few years.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be nice, but that means we'd have to start from scratch again.

The only reason why it would be nice is because Washington also runs a 4-3 scheme.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgive me. I have not been following P.F.T. or the Packers this week.

Have there been "Actual-Factual-Whispers" that MM was unhappy with Sanders performance? "Were individual players on the "D" UN-Happy?"

Did they feel that he did not connect, bring the best out of them, or listen to their concerns?

Or is this a forum thought?

Reaction score
I don't think millertime or anyone else was implying that McCarthy is unhappy with Sanders, but I thought it was more towards hiring Williams to this staff, not necessarily as DC.

The Redskins have parted way with their Defensive Coordinator.

I would love to see this guy in GB....

Comments???

Williams has experience, and he is certainly proven. As a DC I'd say no simply because Sanders has shown to be up to the task, and I think continuity is the best thing right now.

As a position coach on the D, I'd have to wonder who Williams could replace. The only one off the top of my head I can argue a case for being replaced in Secondary coach Schott.

Even then, I think Schott has turned it around and certainly did a solid job compared to 06-07. I'd be hesitant to fire a guy after the players he looks after did not do much wrong.

The only possibility left is Defensive consultant. I remember Sanders saying that he spoke regularly with Bates, and if I'm not mistaken they did occasionally talk about the Packers D. If that is indeed true, then there isn't a need to have a consultant, since Bates kind of fills that role.

Besides, I don't see any past history between McCarthy and Williams, and since McCarthy didn't hire his mentor Marty Schott. as an offensive consultant last year, I doubt he hires Williams as a D consultant this year. My guess is that McCarthy (in part) simply doesn't want to risk ruining the chemistry and cohesion that exists within our coaching staff by bringing Williams in. McCarthy may also feel there is simply no need for it, etc.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't make sense for Williams, who is considered to be one of the better defensive coordinators in the NFL, to come to Green Bay and play second fiddle to our guy. I just don't see it happening, as it would be a very awkward arrangement.

If the Packers were looking for a new defensive coordinator, Williams could be a consideration, but Sanders isn't going anywhere after the Packer defense had such a good season.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders seems to have done pretty well this last year as the DC. The only thing I'd like to see us do is dial up some pressure on occasion. It seems like if we don't get there with the four guys up front, the opposing QB sits back there forever and picks us apart. ie) Eli had tons of time in the NFC Championship and it seemed like there were no adjustments to change that...extremely frustrating.

Staff online

Latest posts