1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Oden.. Out for the Year..

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pack93z, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I am starting to feel better about the Bucks slipping in the lotto... alot of money sitting and hoping for a full recovery... I guess we can say Durant should have been their pick huh..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/09/13/oden.blazers.ap/index.html

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Greg Oden, the top pick in this year's NBA draft, likely will miss his first season with the Portland Trail Blazers after surgery on his right knee Thursday.

Doctors found cartilage damage during an exploratory procedure, and team physician Dr. Don Roberts performed microfracture surgery to repair the damage.

"There are things about this that are positive for Greg. First of all, he is young. The area where the damage was is small and the rest of his knee looked normal," Roberts said in a statement. "All those are good signs for a complete recovery from microfracture surgery."

The 7-foot center is expected to be on crutches for up to eight weeks. Full recovery likely will take six to 12 months, the team said.

Oden was the No. 1 pick in the June draft out of Ohio State, where he averaged 15.7 points and 9.6 rebounds.

The Blazers scheduled a news conference Thursday to discuss Oden's situation.

"Certainly this is a setback, but our future is still incredibly bright," Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said. "Is it disappointing? Yes. However, this is a great core of talent and players of strong character and will continue to be."

It was Oden's second health problem since the Trail Blazers drafted him. He had a tonsillectomy in July after struggling in two Las Vegas summer league games.

Oden recovered and had been working out in the Portland area. The MRI was taken Thursday, and Oden refrained from working out over the weekend.

Despite being hampered by a wrist injury at Ohio State, Oden led the Buckeyes to the national championship game as a freshman. He had 25 points and 12 rebounds in the loss to Florida.

Oden talked about the injury earlier this week in his blog. He said he had a sharp pain about a month ago when he was on vacation.

"I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to seem like I was complaining or making excuses for anything. Plus I wasn't doing anything at the time I realized it hurt, so I figured it couldn't be anything big," he said.

The Blazers open training camp Oct. 2. The regular season opener is at San Antonio on Oct. 30.

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I was just about to post this.

I was never an Oden guy. One of my friends is all about this guy, and thinks I'm an idiot for thinking Oden won't be dominate in the NBA.

The excuses made fro Oden are great. "he was playing with an injured hand!"

and now this. Gotta love a big center with knee problems at the age of 20. That's always a good start to a career. Yeah, he'll be dominate. Right.

Bulls draft pick:

[​IMG]

damn that kid's ugly.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Man.........."Carrot Top" sure has grown!

4. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Me neither.. thought Durant was the better choice.. probably even Horford.. but I have to admit I was pissed when the Bucks drafted YI... guy didn't want to play here and how many half mobile 7 footers can one team have...

Bulls have a chance I believe to take another step.. as much as I would like to see KG win a championship, I truely hope that the C's experiment blows up in Ainge's face..

5. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I wasn't happy with this pick, but in Paxson I trust. Eastern Conference Finals baby!

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Noah is being groomed so when Ben Wallace is too old or too useless(whichever comes first), Noah and Tyrus Thomas can bring energy down low.

It's like a Justin Harrell pick. his time isnt now...its preparation time.

7. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I know what he will be used for. I just thought his talent was overblown. He will be fine, another high-profile, large school kid that is used to winning. I like what Paxson is doing with the team.

8. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113

Yeah he is very ugly

9. BearDown!

BearDown! Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help but to think that the Trailblazers drafted damage goods. I think there's more to this injury.

I gotta go with the Raptors. I love this young team. The NBA is on its way to crossing back over to be dominated again by the East. The Cavs are one good player away, the Bulls, I think, need possibly one more year to mature, the Raptors about 3, and a team like the Bucks is about to breakthrough

I'm expecting the Cavs/Bulls to be today's version of late 80s and early 90s Pistons/Bulls.