Greg Jennings Packers HOF: Yes or No

Greg Jennings, do you put him in the Green Bay Packers HALL OF FAME?

• Total voters

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if Driver had gone to another team last year, rather than ride the pine for his final season, it would be screw him too?

If he said the things Jennings did, and continues to say, after leaving, then yes, screw him too. Jordy, for example, left for another team and that's fine. He didn't go on to trash Packers management or throw Rodgers and others under the bus and whine about how he was mistreated. He should, and will be in the Packers HOF. Class and character count to me. Jennings has neither.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he said the things Jennings did, and continues to say, after leaving, then yes, screw him too. Jordy, for example, left for another team and that's fine. He didn't go on to trash Packers management or throw Rodgers and others under the bus and whine about how he was mistreated. He should, and will be in the Packers HOF. Class and character count to me. Jennings has neither.
Love your comment.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I don’t think it should be a standard. I’m just applying it to this situation with Jennings. Clearly, a number of opinions, pro and con, need to be gathered first. All that said, I don’t think Jennings should be considered for the Packer HOF (just my opinion) and now wish I had left it at that.

Actually only one opinion matters and that is of the individual voter. Perhaps you meant factors pros and cons rather than opinions in which case I agree we should look at all the factors involved and when I have I think he should be in. Like I said before I think his production is enough to get him in and I am not going to hold his personal opinions against him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually only one opinion matters and that is of the individual voter. Perhaps you meant factors pros and cons rather than opinions in which case I agree we should look at all the factors involved and when I have I think he should be in. Like I said before I think his production is enough to get him in and I am not going to hold his personal opinions against him.
Thanks for the correction. I was referring mostly to the facts and stats that would determine anyone’s induction into the HOF. And there are some subjective factors - was he a team player, did he support his teammates on the field, and on. And I don’t much care what he said either. While I don’t think his production qualifies him, we can disagree over that.

But from most comments, it seems a lot of people are taking his comments into consideration. That approach would leave a pretty bare HOF.

D

Deleted member 6794

But from most comments, it seems a lot of people are taking his comments into consideration. That approach would leave a pretty bare HOF.

I can't think of any player currently in the Packers HOF that badmouthed the team in the same way as Jennings.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to think the team is capable of not being petty and can acknowledge the accomplishments Greg made while with the Packers.

We don't win Superbowl XLV without his 2 TD's. He also caught Favre's record breaking TD (421) against the Vikings.

Greg was one of my favorite players while he was with the team (so I'm biased). IMO his beef with Rodgers shouldn't prevent him from being in the Packers HOF.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your argument MAY be sound enough, but your opening line was a bit patronising "Let me clue you in on something" ??? Osh might not share your opinion on this subject like you and I are on opposite sides of the fence about Favre. As this one stands I ACTUALLY agree with you, but that doesn`t mean an opposite opinion is 100% wrong. Just my two cents worth
Well said. We should be able to stand on opposite sides without making things personal, a mistake I’ve certainly made..... My goal now is not to regret anything I write here. The glorious thing about this forum is the diversity of opinion. I’ve changed my mind on Jennings based on what has been written and now believe he should be in the GB HOF. What changed my mind? Just some cold, hard facts presented in a relatively neutral fashion.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me clue YOU in to something. Guys who continue to play for the packers for extended periods of time are not just driven by money to play the game. GB is a tiny town in a basically otherwise boring state. They stay (not only for the money that they get paid on a comparison basis basically), they stay for many other reasons. They love the small town feel, they LOVE the fans, they love the idea of playing for a storied and historical team. Also, if some player was playing for, let's say, the NYG and was making 4 million per season and then had to turn around and spend 1/4 of his pay each year on a place to live and NY city expenses -vs- living in or near GB where your money goes 10 times farther ....hhhmmmmmmm.......no brainer for me. Cost of living goes a long way in my book as well, and we are only one of a few teams that can do that. Yes, nowadays money is a driving factor, and there is no possible way to know if Arod would have went to another team if offered a better chunk of change, but I am willing to bet that he would not have departed due to a minor change in pay, 10's of millions or more, anyone would, but not for a couple million. Plus our front office aint that damn stupid.
We just moved back to the Milwaukee area after spending 18 years living just outside San Francisco. There ARE a ton of intangibles associated with the lifestyle here in Wisconsin. It can actually be reduced to $$$ because living here is so easy and so inexpensive when compared to the Bay Area. People actually go out of there way to say “Hi” here and ask “How’s your day” and mean it. Yeah money is important. So is quality of life. Anyone choosing to live their lives according to the highest bidder, football player or not, will probably live to regret it. The good news? You can go home (and cheer for the Packers!).

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to think the team is capable of not being petty and can acknowledge the accomplishments Greg made while with the Packers.

We don't win Superbowl XLV without his 2 TD's. He also caught Favre's record breaking TD (421) against the Vikings.

Greg was one of my favorite players while he was with the team (so I'm biased). IMO his beef with Rodgers shouldn't prevent him from being in the Packers HOF.

It wasn't just Rodgers he had a beef with. He trashed the entire organization.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't just Rodgers he had a beef with. He trashed the entire organization.

I figured someone would say that, I haven't found evidence of that myself. I've read he thought Mike McCarthy's coaching became a problem ... So, being critical of the coach and the QB doesn't mean he crapped on Lambeau field and the team's history. A player should be able to have an opinion without being blackballed by their franchise and their fans.

Look how pissed but still articulate Greg is here:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Greg also makes some good points here: https://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/1472319555584

I don't think this is a guy who's trying to make headlines... but his opinion is getting traction. It's VERY odd that Rodgers hasn't tried to help smooth things over with Jennings.

I'd like to hear what Donald Driver has to say about this relationship. How did things start to go sour between Rodgers and Jennings. Just seems so odd.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think this is a guy who's trying to make headlines... but his opinion is getting traction. It's VERY odd that Rodgers hasn't tried to help smooth things over with Jennings.

Jennings is definitely trying to make headlines when he bashes Rodgers as that's the only time he's relevant. I don't see any reason for #12 trying to smooth things with him.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is definitely trying to make headlines when he bashes Rodgers as that's the only time he's relevant. I don't see any reason for #12 trying to smooth things with him.

I disagree. Jennings was asked his opinion in one of the posted videos and responded to Rodgers comments in another. He's being asked these questions by journalists or analysts and giving his straight up answer. He can't help it's getting traction. Rodgers beef with Jennings is just weird - if Rodgers can't take criticism from a teammate then we've been in real trouble with Rodgers for years. If Rodgers would have smoothed things over, he'd avoid the embarrassment of the Dunne article.

D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree. Jennings was asked his opinion in one of the posted videos and responded to Rodgers comments in another. He's being asked these questions by journalists or analysts and giving his straight up answer. He can't help it's getting traction. Rodgers beef with Jennings is just weird - if Rodgers can't take criticism from a teammate then we've been in real trouble with Rodgers for years. If Rodgers would have smoothed things over, he'd avoid the embarrassment of the Dunne article.

It all started with Jennings' sister bashing Rodgers and the franchise in a series of tweet and whenever Greg has opened his mouth he has been critical of his former quarterback as well as the organization. As I've mentioned before that's the only time he has been relevant since leaving Green Bay.

Therefore there's absolutely no reason for Rodgers to approach him by any means.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It all started with Jennings' sister bashing Rodgers and the franchise in a series of tweet and whenever Greg has opened his mouth he has been critical of his former quarterback as well as the organization. As I've mentioned before that's the only time he has been relevant since leaving Green Bay.

Therefore there's absolutely no reason for Rodgers to approach him by any means.

What Greg's sister does is irrelevant to this exchange.

Greg has parlayed his football career into a talking head role on TV. He's done pretty well for himself since leaving football. We're even arguing about his possible induction into the Packer HOF (I'm in favor). He's been key to probably the two biggest moments in recent memory for this franchise (Brett's touchdown record tieing TD and eventual record breaking TD and 2 TDs in the Superbowl). He's as relevant as any past Packer WR.

Yes, he's been critical of Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers. Two important pieces of a franchise, but not THEE whole franchise. Not the fans, not the lore, not the field, not the town, etc. A google search brings up a gag helmet signing where he wrote "packers suck" on a viking helmet (at the request of the fan) and not much else. I'd love to see if there are additional pieces of info if people have it. Jennings took out a full page ad in the paper thanking the franchise and has come back to the field as an analyst - if he had hated his time with the team, I doubt he does either.

This one-way feud between Rodgers and Jennings (who appears ready and willing to open dialog with Aaron again) shows a lack of class - mature individuals can mend fences and not be childish. The longer it goes on, the more Greg is right. Aaron is in the spotlight, he should lead by example. What is he telling the team if he's blackballing those who are critical of him? The young WR's are probably scared to death working with Aaron - St. Brown had already been running Aaron's routes and not McCarthy's to ensure he stays on Aaron's good side. I mean, Aaron can't even mend fences with his PARENTS... and he is leading our team? I know that's an aside and a cheap shot, we'll never get the whole story there (from what I've read it stems from his brother tearing apart one of his houses partying and the family taking the brothers side) but doesn't that seem odd?

Anyway. I'm just not impressed with Aaron these days from a professionalism standpoint. Obviously, my Jennings bias is in full swing. He deserves better than this, considering he played a pivotal role in Rodgers early career and success. He was a great WR for this team.

D

Deleted member 6794

She started the whole thing and Jennings did nothing to contradict her.

Yes, he's been critical of Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers. Two important pieces of a franchise, but not THEE whole franchise. Not the fans, not the lore, not the field, not the town, etc. A google search brings up a gag helmet signing where he wrote "packers suck" on a viking helmet (at the request of the fan) and not much else.

What else do you need??? Jennings will take a shot at Rodgers or the Packers whenever anybody will ask him to just to be talked about.

This one-way feud between Rodgers and Jennings (who appears ready and willing to open dialog with Aaron again) shows a lack of class - mature individuals can mend fences and not be childish. The longer it goes on, the more Greg is right.

Jennings is the only one to blame for that feud and he has shown a complete lack of class. I actually respect Rodgers for not talking to him as it wouldn't serve any purpose. That definitely doesn't mean Greg is right though.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
She started the whole thing and Jennings did nothing to contradict her.

What else do you need??? Jennings will take a shot at Rodgers or the Packers whenever anybody will ask him to just to be talked about.

Jennings is the only one to blame for that feud and he has shown a complete lack of class. I actually respect Rodgers for not talking to him as it wouldn't serve any purpose. That definitely doesn't mean Greg is right though.

Rodgers started the feud on the field with his comments towards the 49ers signing Greg during a contract year. This is reported from multiple sources. So you're wrong there. Also, when has Jennings bashed the Packers organization?

The media have latched onto this story because it's showing notches in Rodgers armour. He clearly has interpersonal relationship problems, or at least issues with communication. The media is trying to establish a link between his faults and the struggles the team has had of late. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A person who’s not perfect? Get out!

I’ve never worked anywhere that didn’t have some coworkers not get along over something.

The fact that they could work well enough to win a championship tells me all I need to know. Who cares if he can be hard to work with for some.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers started the feud on the field with his comments towards the 49ers signing Greg during a contract year. This is reported from multiple sources. So you're wrong there. Also, when has Jennings bashed the Packers organization?

The media have latched onto this story because it's showing notches in Rodgers armour. He clearly has interpersonal relationship problems, or at least issues with communication. The media is trying to establish a link between his faults and the struggles the team has had of late. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

This is what I found:

The moment came when Green Bay hosted the San Francisco 49ers in 2012, and cornerback Carlos Rogers asked Jennings why he was running so many short routes. Jennings said it was a contract year, which is when Rodgers stepped in saying, per Jennings, "You guys should get him at the end of the year."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/04/greg-jennings-aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-tension

That "per Jennings" part is important.....I don't know what, if anything, Aaron Rodgers said, I only know I have Greg Jennings word for it.

So....Who really knows? Probably no one in this forum, although some may think they know......

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg has parlayed his football career into a talking head role on TV. He's done pretty well for himself since leaving football. We're even arguing about his possible induction into the Packer HOF (I'm in favor). He's been key to probably the two biggest moments in recent memory for this franchise (Brett's touchdown record tieing TD and eventual record breaking TD and 2 TDs in the Superbowl). He's as relevant as any past Packer WR.

Yes, he's been critical of Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers. Two important pieces of a franchise, but not THEE whole franchise. Not the fans, not the lore, not the field, not the town, etc. A google search brings up a gag helmet signing where he wrote "packers suck" on a viking helmet (at the request of the fan) and not much else. I'd love to see if there are additional pieces of info if people have it. Jennings took out a full page ad in the paper thanking the franchise and has come back to the field as an analyst - if he had hated his time with the team, I doubt he does either.

This one-way feud between Rodgers and Jennings (who appears ready and willing to open dialog with Aaron again) shows a lack of class - mature individuals can mend fences and not be childish. The longer it goes on, the more Greg is right. Aaron is in the spotlight, he should lead by example. What is he telling the team if he's blackballing those who are critical of him? The young WR's are probably scared to death working with Aaron - St. Brown had already been running Aaron's routes and not McCarthy's to ensure he stays on Aaron's good side. I mean, Aaron can't even mend fences with his PARENTS... and he is leading our team? I know that's an aside and a cheap shot, we'll never get the whole story there (from what I've read it stems from his brother tearing apart one of his houses partying and the family taking the brothers side) but doesn't that seem odd?

Anyway. I'm just not impressed with Aaron these days from a professionalism standpoint. Obviously, my Jennings bias is in full swing. He deserves better than this, considering he played a pivotal role in Rodgers early career and success. He was a great WR for this team.

Your man crush on Jennings seems to have clouded your judgement.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I found:

The moment came when Green Bay hosted the San Francisco 49ers in 2012, and cornerback Carlos Rogers asked Jennings why he was running so many short routes. Jennings said it was a contract year, which is when Rodgers stepped in saying, per Jennings, "You guys should get him at the end of the year."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/04/greg-jennings-aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-tension

That "per Jennings" part is important.....I don't know what, if anything, Aaron Rodgers said, I only know I have Greg Jennings word for it.

So....Who really knows? Probably no one in this forum, although some may think they know......
I'd say the per Jennings part doesn't do Jennings any good either. I liked him here and I think he's PHOF worthy easily. But if someone asked me that question on the field, I'd have said something like, "I don't want to make you too tired chasing me all over today" or "I don't want to make you look slow in front of all your friends" or something along those lines. The fact he said "contract year" makes me think this was on his mind, had been on his mind and wasn't all that thrilled about things with the team anyway. Kind of hints at what he was thinking for a while.

or maybe GB was just preparing him for his future in MN.

Members online

Latest posts