Greene excitied about Mike Neal

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://sulia.com/channel/green-bay-packers/f/d6d4f05f-5a7f-441b-8b6e-690862c7eb43/?source=fb

You know who's excited about @MNeal96 as a situational OLB? #Packers OLBs coach Kevin Greene. Good quote:
"I think Mike Neal is very, very fluid. He’s very athletic. I just think Mike Neal could do anything that he really wants to do. It was coach McCarthy’s call and coach Dom’s call to give me Mike and just work with him a little bit, and see how it progresses.

"I think he’s going to be a heck of a pass rusher screaming off the corner. At 275, 280 pounds and playing in space and moving as he does, that gives coach Dom more options as far as having more athletes with that explosive type of ability on the field. It gives him an opportunity to design different things."

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
As a rookie he benched 510 pounds..Stretch marks on his biceps from muscles growing to fast

Was 294 pounds as a rook...

Lost a lot of weight, so this may just be AWESOME

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wondering where Neal fits into the equation with Matthews on one side and Perry on another if he does indeed pan out at OLB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
adambr2,

My guess is Neal will be standing up something like 4-6 times per game and he'll be in coverage on very rare occasions. Perhaps Capers plans on using a 1-5-5 formation to put his best pass rushers on the field on obvious passing downs. Datone Jones or Raji at DL with Matthews, Perry, Neal, Bishop, and Moses at LB in no particular order and who knows which of the five are rushing. It just gives offenses something else to prepare for.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
adambr2,

My guess is Neal will be standing up something like 4-6 times per game and he'll be in coverage on very rare occasions. Perhaps Capers plans on using a 1-5-5 formation to put his best pass rushers on the field on obvious passing downs. Datone Jones or Raji at DL with Matthews, Perry, Neal, Bishop, and Moses at LB in no particular order and who knows which of the five are rushing. It just gives offenses something else to prepare for.

My thinking is that because we hired string theory physicist Edward Witten as a special consultant, we are looking at multiple dimension of time and space. Perhaps our intention is to bend time and matter during football games such that there will be an additional dimension such that there will be 3 sides. Ergo there will be 3 'outsides' and we will require 3 outside OLBs at all times.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My thinking is that because we hired string theory physicist Edward Witten as a special consultant, we are looking at multiple dimension of time and space. Perhaps our intention is to bend time and matter during football games such that there will be an additional dimension such that there will be 3 sides. Ergo there will be 3 'outsides' and we will require 3 outside OLBs at all times.
You're right, that's much more likely. In fact, if Witten can bend time, Jones (until he gets tired) could be instantaneously "at" the QB on passing plays. ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good coach finds ways to utilize each players' strengths and minimize/cloak their weaknesses. Hopefully this is, along with the Bulaga/Sitton move, are a new chapter in Green Bay history of finding the best fit for players instead of forcing oval pegs into round holes.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, that's much more likely. In fact, if Witten can bend time, Jones (until he gets tired) could be instantaneously "at" the QB on passing plays.

Wait, just to clear up a few things from my earlier post:

Its not Edward Witten, its Jason Witten.
He's not a string theory physicist, but a football player.
He isn't a consultant, but a tight end.
He doesn't work for the Packers but for the Cowboys.
He's not bending time and space but his ankle
He hasn't created a new dimension, but he is getting the ankle taped.

I apologize for the erroneous info.

Still, my conclusions are valid and I stand by my statement. Looks like there will be three OLBs in a multi-dimensioned field.

H

HardRightEdge

You're right, that's much more likely. In fact, if Witten can bend time, Jones (until he gets tired) could be instantaneously "at" the QB on passing plays. ;)

It will take some serious distortions in the space-time continuum to expect Neal to cover anybody beyond the flats.

Where this Neal things makes sense is with defensive audibles and disguised looks. For instance, Capers could run the base D or a 3-3-5 package out there but set or audible to 2 down lineman, Neal bouncing up and out to 9 tech with Matthews coming down to rush, while Perry could drop in coverage or blitz inside or outside. This would be one way to prevent the offense from making educated guesses based on personnel.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Perry and Mike Neal offer some serious power coming at QBs, along with the great Clay, and now Datone Jones.
3 months from today, Colin Kaepernick might be licking a lot of wounds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts