Green will play Monday night

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

Running back Ahman Green has been cleared to make his preseason debut on Monday at Cincinnati but won't play as long as the No. 1 offense, which is expected to go well into the third quarter.

Green has been practicing since Aug. 7 but didn't play in the first two exhibition games. He's coming off a major leg injury, a torn quadriceps tendon that was surgically repaired on Oct. 25. Coach Mike McCarthy said Green probably will take about 18 to 20 snaps, roughly the same amount the No. 1 offense took in the first preseason game.

"Probably a couple of series," McCarthy said when asked how long Green will play against the Bengals. "We're going to be smart with him. We'll see how it goes."

Typically, the third preseason game is a dress rehearsal for the regular-season opener, and the starters see their most snaps of the exhibition season and then scale way back for the fourth and final preseason game.The reps against the Bengals will be critical for Green and the Packers, not only so they can gauge whether he's completely recovered from his surgery but to see how well he has adjusted to McCarthy's new offensive scheme.

"I'm just looking forward to getting back out there and getting banged around," Green said after Wednesday's practice.

Also expected to make their preseason debuts are safety Marquand Manuel and linebacker Brady Poppinga. Both likely will play between 18 to 20 plays.

"They're in the same category (as Green)," McCarthy said.

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't expect Ahman Green to last too long this season. No sense in anyone getting their hopes up to high for the letdown.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
palmer is starting for cinci.

it shoul be a good game monday. im excited to see how green and the rest of the team will do monday. if green looks good he can be a big threat for the other teams during the season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green will probably play 2-3 series MAX...but with mccarthy...and his....crazyness...who knows!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
Don't expect Ahman Green to last too long this season. No sense in anyone getting their hopes up to high for the letdown.

Well i got my hopes up high. green is coming off a horrible injury that many don't return from, but he seems driven to return to a 1000 yrd season!!

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the few who has Green up for 1,000 yards this season

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll rush for 1,000 if he gets the majority of the carries this season. I hope the Packers can make room for this Beach kid from Kentucky. He looks like someone that could be a sleeper IMO.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green is an incredible player. If this team is going to have any chance at success this year, they're going to need Green to have a great season. There may be no player in this franchise that works as hard as he does at keeping his body in shape. If anyone can come back from this injury it will be Green. My only criticism of him is that for some reason he is fumble prone, but the guy can run, he can catch the ball and he is absolutely a huge asset to this team. If the offensive line develops, and Green has a good/healthy year, this team has a chance to be pretty good. So let's suit him up and see where he's at.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am with you, ND. Beach is someone I would like to see stick...and given Najeh's injury history...he's nursing something right now......he would seem to be the odd man out.

Beach hits the hole quickly and with authority, plus he gets his pads down REAL low....almost Ahman Green low....and really dishes it out instead of taking it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts