green signs a one year deal

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce,

First off, thanks for wondering if I was drunk. When I look at the state of the Packers, sometimes I think it would be better, but I can't stay drunk for six months.

I'm surprised you've fallen into the sentimentality trap so many others here do. The only question to be asked: is Ahman Green capable of being the BEST BACK the Packers can put on the field in 2006, especially for the money? I've concluded the answer is no, as apparently has McGinn.

Your numbers are accurate about Green. But again, numbers lie. Can he be that productive again? Look at his output in the early part of last season when the line was healthy. He also wasn't breaking tackles, nor adding much after the run. Coaches say that's an early sign of fade. He WAS the most productive runner...does that mean he WILL BE again? At 29?

Everyone also forgets his breathing problems. Those don't get better as you age. So even when healthy, he isn't a full-time contributor, hence the load shifts to Samkon Gado to do, essentially, the work that Green can't do while he's catching his breath. Your slap at Gado was a little low Bruce. Samkon came in behind a horrible line and produced. Green was mediocre even when the line was healthier. Gado is going to get the Ted Thompson Green Weeney award, for having to do a veteran's load at a rookie's pay. I'm surprised you took a slap at Samkon for being a free agent. It doesn't matter what round you were drafted or what the hype is about you or if you come from a small school...if you play at a high level like Samkon did, you deserve the money the "names" get. Where would 2005 have been if he didn't step up?

Last time I checked Bruce, your hero Ahman also had fumbling problems.

Ahman also has a little problem with his female friends.

I'm not totally dissing this...but Ted's continuing a very curious path back to the Super Bowl. Is he rebuilding? If he is, why sign Green at all?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green CAN be productive........and, i think if TT thinks he's worth keeping, i think Green MUST be completely healed, or will be by the season. Green KNOWS the system, and i am SURE wants to prove his worth. He's only 29, and i believe worth taking the chance. If you pick up a guy in FA, you don't really know what you will be getting. With Green, they know.
Oh....and THANKS Bruce........i was just guessing, i didn't KNOW he had the partial tear. :D

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Bruce,
The only question to be asked: is Ahman Green capable of being the BEST BACK the Packers can put on the field... Ted's continuing a very curious path back to the Super Bowl. Is he rebuilding? If he is, why sign Green at all?

You make it sound like an evaluation of one of Sherman's 1st round draft picks.

Consider this: This is only a one year deal and probably a stop gap as well. It also is an opportunity to evaluate his past injury and actually see how well he has progressed. This deal isn't going to break the bank. Don't be overly surprised if you see a back taken in the middle rounds. Look for TT to trade sometime early for more picks. And to answer your question, "Why sign Green at all?" That's somewhat obvious; there are just too many holes to fill and all will not be plugged with only 5 picks in this draft, including any additional compensatory. Stop gap measures, at a reasonable price, is the best way to go, and remember, it's only temporary!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I still say Green's thigh started to get bad in last month of the 2004 season...That is when his production started to go down...If I am not mistaken I recall Sherman stating something last year that Green had tendinitis in his knee for last weeks of 2004..

So if that is really true it would give a valid reason as to why he didn't perform as well as Gado did...

With that said, signing him is a great move just to see if he can return to the 1st half of the 2004 season..

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1 ... elogs/2004

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO this is a good deal for both the Packers and Green.
It's an incentive laden contract, so if he doesn't produce the Packers aren't paying big bucks.
It gives Green the opportunity to show he can still do it and make some big bucks if he does.
I think it's a win win situation.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the big deal about his contract. If he returns to form, we got him cheap and have a decision to make about his future. If he doesn't come back strong, consider it back pay for all the years we got top grade production for cheap wages.

I have absolutely no problem with this signing!

I agree with Backin-Packin that a middle round running back should be drafted. Gado, Rookie, Poop, and Fischer can fight it out in training camp.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BackIn:

So you lose a chance on a top-flight back to pick up a middle rounder this year, Green either gets a long-term deal next year or splits, so you end up with Gado and a middle rounder?

Why not a great back along with Gado this year and forget Green?

It's all water under the bridge, but I'm really wondering what is going on inside the white head of TT.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now let's see what he can do to shore up the "O" line. I would expect him to sign at least one good guard that comes on the market. We get this area fixed up and a couple of LB's (maybe one good one in the second round and a FA) and take Mario with the #5 pick and we'll have a whole lot better car on the track than last year.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK net This is really a dilema for the Pack how would you propose to get the top flight back are you talking about Reggie Bush??

GB would have to mortage the future just to get him. (Becuase you would have to do it to trade up and get Bush I still think TT will Draft a RB because I dont think he will resign Davenport or any one else.

Furthermore we all know a star RB does not gaurentee Championships. Look at Detroit had the best RB in history and went no were. It is not about one position or the the other. It is about Team unity and Chemistry along with serviceable talent that wins championships.

Look at the Patriots. Tell me in 2000 did you forsee what they had in the waiting. Probaly not. But we all know the run they put together not with big time stars but with solid journeyman.

Same goes for the Steelers. The NFL is littered with the corpses of teams that have only one MArquee player that can get no were. Whereas Teams that have won the big show were total units.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This signing is to me a recognition of two things.

First, that it wasn't AG regressing, getting old, or, just doesn't have it anymore. It was the fact that with Flanny and Bubba hurt, a 6th round rookie guard, and, another marginal guard filling in for the loss of Rivera and Wahle there wasn't much ANY RB could have done.

Secondly, with this new zone blocking, AG is the type of RB that can really make it work.

Remember in prior years when the Pack ran that toss left. AG would get the ball and not go full speed until he saw the seem? Then he would put it in another gear and before you knew it he was way upfield.

That patience, and ability to find the seem is exactly what they need in a RB for this blocking scheme. The hole may open up inside the tackle or require a cut back (which AG can do) or, he may have to trail along and wait for it to open up and then let it fly.

I see Green as a perfect fit for this type of running game and can't wait to see him get the ball and look along the line for that opening and then hit that next gear.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net: you know better. I am ready to replace anybody who can be replaced by any one who can play better -- no exceptions.

Nothing sentimental about taking the top back in the league over a period of 5 years and taking a low cost look at whether or not he can return to form -- or in his case even part way to form of being one of if not the best backs in the league. Low risk with potential for high reward -- usually you can be objective enough to see things like that.

McGinn is no more knowledgeable than you or many of the better posters here. Frankly, I think his assessment on this is all wet, but it is not the first time I have disagreed with him.

Can he be as or near as productive -- we will have to see. Some speculate that his style will explode behind a zone blocking scheme, I am not sure, but think it is every bit as likely as not.

No one forgot his breathing problem -- he has always had it and it has not gotten worse.

I took no shot at Gado -- I like the kid, but saying he has a right to sit at a negotiation level as the top producing back from 2000 through 2004 is such a joke it does not merit more comment. We all hope that he will achieve a fraction of what Green produced.

Speaking of cheap shots, trot out all of your marital issues for public consumption and than get back to me.

Green is not my hero (another cheap shot), but he is a back who has shown he can produce big time against real competition. You can ignore the factors that I pointed out if you choose, but it does not make them disapppear.

BTW Gado has a far greater fumble per carry rate than Green and Green has a lower one than Packer Hall of Famer Jimmy Taylor

net said:
Bruce,

First off, thanks for wondering if I was drunk. When I look at the state of the Packers, sometimes I think it would be better, but I can't stay drunk for six months.

I'm surprised you've fallen into the sentimentality trap so many others here do. The only question to be asked: is Ahman Green capable of being the BEST BACK the Packers can put on the field in 2006, especially for the money? I've concluded the answer is no, as apparently has McGinn.

Your numbers are accurate about Green. But again, numbers lie. Can he be that productive again? Look at his output in the early part of last season when the line was healthy. He also wasn't breaking tackles, nor adding much after the run. Coaches say that's an early sign of fade. He WAS the most productive runner...does that mean he WILL BE again? At 29?

Everyone also forgets his breathing problems. Those don't get better as you age. So even when healthy, he isn't a full-time contributor, hence the load shifts to Samkon Gado to do, essentially, the work that Green can't do while he's catching his breath. Your slap at Gado was a little low Bruce. Samkon came in behind a horrible line and produced. Green was mediocre even when the line was healthier. Gado is going to get the Ted Thompson Green Weeney award, for having to do a veteran's load at a rookie's pay. I'm surprised you took a slap at Samkon for being a free agent. It doesn't matter what round you were drafted or what the hype is about you or if you come from a small school...if you play at a high level like Samkon did, you deserve the money the "names" get. Where would 2005 have been if he didn't step up?

Last time I checked Bruce, your hero Ahman also had fumbling problems.

Ahman also has a little problem with his female friends.

I'm not totally dissing this...but Ted's continuing a very curious path back to the Super Bowl. Is he rebuilding? If he is, why sign Green at all?

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
BackIn:

So you lose a chance on a top-flight back to pick up a middle rounder this year, Green either gets a long-term deal next year or splits, so you end up with Gado and a middle rounder?

Why not a great back along with Gado this year and forget Green?

It's all water under the bridge, but I'm really wondering what is going on inside the white head of TT.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by, "lose a chance on a top-flight back..." What back? You can't be referring to Reggie Bush? And even if you were I certainly wouldn't want a clown like him in town. He has outright said he doesn't want to play in GB and told his agent definitely so. So, what back are you referring to that carries such a gold tag that would be more important than Mario? What back would be more important than securing a LB in the second round or, trading for more picks and securing needed value in later rounds. Unless you explain what planet you are on, I have no way of sending help, brother!

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
Hes a bears fan trying to screw us over but were to smart for him

Really?

I knew a guy once that was a Bear's fan and he said he was a SMART FELLER.

So, I said if you are so SMART, then say "I'm a SMART FELLER" as fast as you can 10 times.

By the sixth recite, he was saying "I'm a FART SMELLER!" "I'm a FART SMELLER! etc.

And he was the smartest Bear's fan I ever knew!

Members online

Latest posts