green signs a one year deal

OP
OP
M

mrhustle11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea 3 to 5 million seems a little too much. maybe they like what the see in green's recovery. i think he will also help the progression of gado. Now we will be able to address other issues in the draft.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad he'll be back. I'm looking forward to seeing Green and Gado split carries next year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody have a link about the contract? some say 4 mil, some say 3. Cmon people.

4 mil does seem a tad high. But this tells me 3 things...

1. No Reggie Bush trading for us
2. Probably no RB drafted at all(since we have 5 picks)

3. GB officially has one of the best backfields in the NFL in 2006\07.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$3-5 million is a very high number...especially with the cap uncertainty ahead...its only one year but, thats a pretty big chunk of cash...i said give him $2 million and let him earn the rest on incentives

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trom,

Like #1 was going to even be an option...

#2 I think it depends on if the Pack bring back either Fish or Davenpoop

#3 I'm not sure I would say that about GB's backfield quite yet but I like your optimism...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It is believed that the contract has a base value of $3 million, along with $2 million worth of incentives.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is it is a 1 year contract for $3,000,000 with incentives that could take it to $5,000,000. To get to the high end of this contract he would have to have a great year.

Here is hoping Green collects all $5 million.

I think it was a solid move by Ted Thompson.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
trom,

Like #1 was going to even be an option...

#2 I think it depends on if the Pack bring back either Fish or Davenpoop

#3 I'm not sure I would say that about GB's backfield quite yet but I like your optimism...

1. texans are thinking about trading the pick.
2. i really dont think we'll draft one...get a rb or 2 through FA? more likely..
3. Gado got 150 yards twice in the first half of games with a horrible oline. Green has been money for the last 5 years, except last year(and as someone on this board will tell you defense of favre, there was NOT a good offensive line out there)...so writing off ahman cuz of one bad year when there was no O line\no good WRs besides driver is just wrong

Green and Gado = Arguably the best 1-2 RB punch in the league in 06\07.

WE HAVE A RUNNING GAME. CHECK that off the list...

Now we need an OFFENSIVE LINE...

then some peices on defense...and we're good to go..

and #4

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks like TT wants to temporarily fill a need by patch work. I still wouldn't be a bit surprised to still see a RB taken in the middle to late rounds. This will also serve as a test to see Green's recovery. Now he can move on to other needs.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
My understanding is it is a 1 year contract for $3,000,000 with incentives that could take it to $5,000,000. To get to the high end of this contract he would have to have a great year.

Here is hoping Green collects all $5 million.

I think it was a solid move by Ted Thompson.

see, thats not a bad deal at all now. people going crazy when they dont even know the deal.

I still dont know the deal...i cant find anything with numbers in it. but if bruce is right...then thats a great deal.

a lot better than 4 guaranteed mil

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one more thing (Sorry, im buzzing now after this signing)

Green wont even get near the 5 mil unless the packers are competing.

I say this because, if its week 15, an the pack are 5-9....and green is a couple hundred yards or 5-7 TDs away from more money....it will be Gado time, or Najeh time, or WhoevertheHellWeHaveWhoseNameIsntGreen time.

I still say Gado and Green will be one of the best duos in the league.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN is reporting a base of 2 million with 3 million in incentives. Not too bad. I didn't really want them to resign him but this is good for the price.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It is believed that the contract has a base value of $3 million, along with $2 million worth of incentives. that is what MY source, not YOURs its ALLL MINE MINE MINE MY SOURCE MYYYYYYYYYY SOURCE!! has said

:)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 mil now!

This deal keeps getting better and better.

soon we'll find out Ahman is paying GB to play for them.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like it is $2 million, with $3 million in incentives -- which is a great deal.

The only financial investment the club has in him is the signing bonus portion of that $2 million. If he suffers a setback during the off-season or doesn't perform well enough to make the team, they can cut him without having to pay the base salary and the incentives.

Green's incentives are thought to be tied to his rushing yards; the more yards he gains the more of the $3 million in incentives he'll receive.

Look at the deal Alexander just signed and you begin to see why this was a K-Mart blue light special price for a Macy quality player. Last year, Green was paid a base salary of $4.375 million as part of a five-year, $21.5 million deal he signed before the 2001 season. Before he got hurt, he was seeking a blockbuster deal that would reward him for being the most productive runner in the NFL from 2000-'04, when he gained 6,848 rushing yards -- something quite a few of the fickle fans around here seem to have forgotten.

Green, the club's second all-time leading rusher, will report to camp as the leading candidate to start in the backfield, but he'll probably share time with Samkon Gado, who filled in for him last season.

Green's contract is such a bargin that it would be in the range of many 2nd string RB in the league. I have to give Ted Thompson props on this one.

I was really happy for Batman, He has worked hard at rehab and is a great back when healthy. :)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

So I was very happy with this signing, especially with it coming at such a decent price. :joy:

But I have to admit, as happy as I was for myself and Ahman Green… :beer:

… they don’t seem to run even a close 3rd to how happy we will all be if he is so successful that he collects all of the possible bonus money he can earn -- because it would mean the team is humming with him running to the form that made him the top back in the league for that great recent stretch. :party6:

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'05 Review: Grades
Bob McGinn on Ahman Green's performance in 2005:
"Operating essentially behind the same blocking as (Samkon) Gado, Green averaged a career-low 3.31. He wasn't finishing runs or breaking tackles like the old Green."

I think Bob sums it up fairly well. The only thing about this deal that is favorable is the cost. But why invest anything in a guy you don't know can hold up, and will likely be a free agent again next year?

If I was Samkon Gado(he won't do this) I would call Ted and say..."if I'm going to split time with Green, I want the same cash"

Running backs need young legs and I was seeing a decline in Green even before the injury.

Teddy could have picked up a good running back in the second round this year that would have played for less money and produced more long term.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like i have stated before........i wonder if there was an injury BEFORE we knew it? Maybe that tear had started, and NOW it's 100% healed. The Packers have had Green there rehabbing all off season. Maybe he's back to REAL health!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
'05 Review: Grades
Bob McGinn on Ahman Green's performance in 2005:
"Operating essentially behind the same blocking as (Samkon) Gado, Green averaged a career-low 3.31. He wasn't finishing runs or breaking tackles like the old Green."

I think Bob sums it up fairly well. The only thing about this deal that is favorable is the cost. But why invest anything in a guy you don't know can hold up, and will likely be a free agent again next year?

If I was Samkon Gado(he won't do this) I would call Ted and say..."if I'm going to split time with Green, I want the same cash"

Running backs need young legs and I was seeing a decline in Green even before the injury.

Teddy could have picked up a good running back in the second round this year that would have played for less money and produced more long term.

net: this is so full of holes that I will only comment because I consider you a solid poster.

~~ Gado ran behind a line that had more than a half a season to adjust to playing together.

~~ Sam also ran behind Flanagan when he could stand up, rather than having to be picked up off the ground by teammates.

~~ Gado played at a point in the season where teams knew that to beat the Packers you needed to take Donald Driver out of the game Vs game planning around stopping Green.

~~ Gado played well but it was against teams that knew he would not beat them.

As for your Gado calling Ted Thompson: yeah, a former 3rd string Liberty college street free agent, who despite fumbling a lot showed some flashes, is going to call up Ted Thompson and say I deserve the same cash as the 2nd leading rusher in Packers history and who was the most productive runner in the NFL from 2000-'04, when he gained 6,848 rushing yards-- are you drunk this early in the morning ;)

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Like i have stated before........i wonder if there was an injury BEFORE we knew it? Maybe that tear had started, and NOW it's 100% healed. The Packers have had Green there rehabbing all off season. Maybe he's back to REAL health!

There is nothing to wonder about cheesey -- because you are correct, he was playing with a partial tear. He blew it out completely ending his season.

Ted Thompson does not throw money around. He is perfectly on top of Green's progress in recovering and rehab.

Further, despite net's rather strange take on this signing -- the Packers are only on the hook for the signing bonus portion of the $2 million if he were to suffer a setback by reinjury.

This was a wise move by Ted Thompson, and any one who has read my stuff knows I am not overly generous in my praise for TT

Members online

Latest posts