Green injured, Hendo replaced, Spitz out.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This from JSonline.

Green Bay - Green Bay running back Ahman Green now has two hamstring injuries and has been downgraded to questionable for the game Monday against Philadelphia.

If Green can't play or is limited, the Packers plan to play Vernand Morency mostly on first and second downs and Noah Herron on third downs.

The Packers have also determined that Daryn Colledge, and not Jason Spitz, will start at left guard, and Tony Moll will start at right guard.

McCarthy said 12-year veteran fullback William Henderson will also not start. Instead, that duty goes to Brandon Miree, who was recently elevated from the practice squad. The Packers will have to look at their special teams needs to see if Henderson will even be activated for the Eagles game.

McCarthy said the decision to demote Henderson was one of the toughest he's had to make thus far in his head coaching tenure in Green Bay.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even comment on this or it's going to turn ugly. Rest assured none of this is sounding real darn good.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I seen this same exact thing posted at PC.com but with no link. Where did ya find the link at man? I still cant find it!! lol

I found an article that says Green has a Rib injury too.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't TT just re-sign Henderson for a pile/pyle of money?

Now he's not starting?

This is not good.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im alright with Green not starting and I am OK with our O line that is starting. But I dont get Henderson not being out there. We shall miss him im sure. Not only for blocking/catching but on special teams.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
Im alright with Green not starting and I am OK with our O line that is starting. But I dont get Henderson not being out there. We shall miss him im sure. Not only for blocking/catching but on special teams.

We'll also miss him for his attitude. The guy's a workhorse. I still have images in my head of him taking a short screen and jumping over a would be tackler for an extra five yards.

OP
OP
L

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
We'll also miss him for his attitude. The guy's a workhorse. I still have images in my head of him taking a short screen and jumping over a would be tackler for an extra five yards.

Unfortunately, William has really struggled with his blocking the last couple of years. And since his knee injury he's barely able to jump up the curb.

Henderson is probably the epitome of the term "Packer People" for his contributions over the years, but he's also showing his age. Sad to see him go out this way.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Lare...
Zero2Cool said:
I seen this same exact thing posted at PC.com but with no link. Where did ya find the link at man? I still cant find it!! lol

I found an article that says Green has a Rib injury too.

Wheres the source for this? I still haven't been able to find it!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus. those three headlines are about enough to knock the wind out of ya. Does anyone know how serious Green's injury is? Does anyone know anything about Miree? Does anyone know if Colledge knows how to bend his knees? Sad about Henderson, but you can't keep starting a guy just because you like his attitude.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Jesus. those three headlines are about enough to knock the wind out of ya. Does anyone know how serious Green's injury is? Does anyone know anything about Miree? Does anyone know if Colledge knows how to bend his knees? Sad about Henderson, but you can't keep starting a guy just because you like his attitude.

I'm not even sure how valid this information is. I can't find it anywhere and Lare keeps missing my comments on providing it. I haven't heard anything on the news yet either. If I hear something I'll post it here for sho!

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Notebook: Miree To Start At FB; Morency Ready If Needed For Green

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 09/30/2006

In less than a week, Brandon Miree has risen from the practice squad to starting at fullback for the Green Bay Packers.

Miree, promoted to the 53-man roster from the practice squad this past Tuesday, continued his rapid ascension by being named the starting fullback for Monday night's game by Head Coach Mike McCarthy on Saturday.

Miree will replace veteran William Henderson, who hasn't fully recovered from having arthroscopic knee surgery in late August and has admitted his play hasn't been up to the high standard he has set during his 12 years in Green Bay.

The Packers picked up Miree from the Denver Broncos after the final roster reduction at the end of training camp. Originally a seventh-round draft choice by the Broncos in 2004, Miree spent two seasons (one on injured reserve, the other on the practice squad) in Denver's zone-blocking system, and the Packers feel his experience as a lead blocker in that system could help jump-start their sluggish ground game.

"He has a history in it, so that's probably his strength as a fullback," McCarthy said. "He's had a very good week of work."

Miree, a feature back for two seasons at the University of Pittsburgh before being drafted by the Broncos, also has shown solid pass-catching skills out of the backfield, and he could contribute on special teams as well on Monday night.

Meanwhile Henderson took the demotion as a professional, vowing to get himself back into shape to continue competing for his spot.

"I'm still recovering, still trying to get myself right," Henderson said. "I have to take it as a challenge in some way, shape or form to get myself prepared to compete, whatever the situation may be.

"I'm not done playing football, I'm just not starting this week. That's my attitude."
Henderson feels he's been playing at about 85 percent since having his knee scoped nearly six weeks ago.

"Coming back from injury and saying I'm stable enough or strong enough is one thing, but that extra explosiveness as a power blocker, it's different," he said. "It's a different amount of rehab and a different amount of responsibility for this knee."

Green downgraded
Running back Ahman Green was downgraded from probable to questionable for this week after he tweaked his hamstring in practice on Friday.

Green played with a tender hamstring last week, but McCarthy said this injury is his other hamstring.

"I'm hopeful he's going to play, just based on the information we have," McCarthy said. "But it's just part of our game. We have to get Mo and Noah ready to go."

'Mo' is backup Vernand Morency, whom McCarthy plans to work into the early downs, with Noah Herron on third downs. Both will play regardless of Green's health, but their overall workload will depend on Green.

"You're a professional, this is your job, and you have to prepare as if you're the starter," Morency said. "You never know at any particular moment something might happen."

Morency has been getting more comfortable with the offense and could be primed to up his contributions. Acquired in Week 2 in a trade, Morency was named the Packers' special teams player of the week against Detroit.

Status quo, with Spitz perhaps ready to go
McCarthy said the starting offensive guards Monday would be Daryn Colledge on the left side and Tony Moll on the right, as has been the case the past two games. Jason Spitz, out since the season opener with a bruised thigh, could be healthy enough to suit up.

Depending on Spitz's availability, McCarthy said he would either be a primary backup, or he could get a few snaps at guard as part of a rotation. If so, Monday night's game would be a key part of the competition among all three rookies for the starting guard positions. Spitz has taken snaps at both right and left guard in practice this week.

"You have another football game to evaluate your players, and that's always the best information," McCarthy said.

Pickett iffy
Upgraded on Friday from doubtful to questionable with his sore ankle, starting defensive tackle Ryan Pickett fully participated in practice on Saturday. But he said the ankle, though feeling better than on Friday, was still quite sore.

"I'm not moving as well as I can or I'm used to moving," he said. "It's coming along, I just wish it would speed up so I can get ready for Monday."

It appears as though his availability will be a game-time decision, and a key one for the defense, as Pickett has been the most consistent interior defensive lineman this season and the Packers are facing the league's top-ranked offense in Philadephia.

"Coach said they're going to try me out Monday before the game and see how it feels," he said. "If it feels good, he's going to let me go. If not, he's going to sit me out."

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else see that today New Mexico State's QB threw the ball 70 times?

I think Monday might be like that.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whats the big freakin deal.

Henderson didnt play well last week and is showing his age. The coaches are impressed with Miree. I love henderson and rank him up there with favre and reggie as packer greats of the last decade.... but just cause you like him and hes a good interview doesnt mean he should start.
Miree plays better.... he starts, simple as that. Im glad some of you arent the GM or Coach of this team.

Colledge played well last week and should start this week. And ahman green is hurt, well go with morency and herron. Whoever plays better and is healthy starts. why are people freakin out. its not exactly like ahman, henderson, and spitz have been game breaking special players. at least not this year so far.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
whats the big freakin deal.

Henderson didnt play well last week and is showing his age. The coaches are impressed with Miree. I love henderson and rank him up there with favre and reggie as packer greats of the last decade.... but just cause you like him and hes a good interview doesnt mean he should start.
Miree plays better.... he starts, simple as that. Im glad some of you arent the GM or Coach of this team.

Colledge played well last week and should start this week. And ahman green is hurt, well go with morency and herron. Whoever plays better and is healthy starts. why are people freakin out. its not exactly like ahman, henderson, and spitz have been game breaking special players. at least not this year so far.

To some people just having bodies to fill a spot is good enough, regardless if they can play or not, I guess.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe MM should just promote players from the Packers practice squad to the the starting team because it's going to be a long time before he gets any "starting quality" players from the GM.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Henderson and wish he could play like he use to, but if this Miree is better I say play him

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
majikman said:
Maybe MM should just promote players from the Packers practice squad to the the starting team because it's going to be a long time before he gets any of "starting quality" players from the GM.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? lol
The more I read your comments the more I'm reminded you're someone who was previously perma banned from the site and with each post is proving how hypocritical this staff can be at times. :shrug: No ones perfect and its not my show I jus post here... OH well on to the post.

So you're saying,
Hawk isn't starting quality?
Pickett isn't starting quality?
Jennings isn't starting quality?
Collins isn't starting quality?
Green isn't starting quality? (he was free to sign with any team, Ted signed him)

You get the point :)

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's look at it this way. Last year, most people were saying "Gado who???". Maybe this could be the start of our future.

Morency was quite popular in fantasy football circles when Dominick Davis went down -- until Lundy came around. So -- a lot of people saw some potential there. He is supposedly quite fast. Miree knows the blocking schemes already. Quite possibly, they are the running back tandem of the future -- if not this year but maybe 2 or 3 years from now. Who knows, they may surprise us.

What concerns me is that Herron would be used on 3rd downs. That either says that he is more of a Tony Fischer type back or the coaches do not have a lot of confidence in Morency's ability to catch the ball. Or they think of him more as a short-yardage back and expect a lot of 3rd and short (which we seem to have a lot).

One final comment -- the thread title "Spitz Out" is a bit misleading. I think he will be rotated in quite often. In a game that we are not expected to win -- or barely compete in -- it would be a good time to test the different combinations of linemen and backs against a pretty solid defensive front to see what works best. It is not the same practicing against our own defense. We need to see how they work in real time.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a game that we are not expected to win -- or barely compete in --

the game has yet to be played, you cant really say that.

on paper we are not expected to win but any thing can happen on the football field.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umair said:
In a game that we are not expected to win -- or barely compete in --

the game has yet to be played, you cant really say that.

on paper we are not expected to win but any thing can happen on the football field.

I believe being 11 point underdogs qualifies being a game that "we are not expected to win". That is not saying that is how I see our chances but that is how most people see us matching up.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opportunity knocking for Mo and Miree. Though WH may be banged up still from the surgery he will still be in the game, just not starting. When the play calls for LB bashing, in will come Miree. When a shield block check down FB is required we'll see WH. Besides, Miree was with the Broncos and zone blocking since 2004, he's the most experienced player we have on our roster with this scheme. Whether Green or WH is 100%, this will be one of our toughest game this year.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henderson is the ultimate Warrior but injuries at his age take longer. Have we seen the last of him? No one knows that.

Last year Flanny, another warrior, played thru injury as well. Not great at times either. The fact is both are getting up there and change is going to be necessary.

Some here jumping on TT for the quality of these guys coming in which only quantifies what others have been saying about the total overhaul of talent he has had to deal with.

He's brought in THREE "0" linemen. The first time that position has been addressed to any degree in the draft since 2000.

He's brought in three LB's, three CB's and, three safeties and added Pickett and Allen to the DL.

He's drafted three WR's, one of whom was injured unfortunately, addressed the pitiful punter situation we had, and found somebody that looks decent to replace Longwells longing to play in a dome.

We've got some special teams players that can actually walk and chew gum.

But no big name guy to repace the RB's? Gee, I guess Rome wasn't buit in a day.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Henderson is the ultimate Warrior but injuries at his age take longer. Have we seen the last of him? No one knows that.

Yes and then he releases Leach, when guys like Humphrey, a 4TH TE remained. - Dumb!

Last year Flanny, another warrior, played thru injury as well. Not great at times either. The fact is both are getting up there and change is going to be necessary.

True but these situations could have been already replaced if TT made some better moves along the way.

He's brought in THREE "0" linemen. The first time that position has been addressed to any degree in the draft since 2000.

None of which are anywhere near the 2 he let walk because he was too cheap and thought "OG's are easily replaceable"

's brought in three LB's, three CB's and, three safeties and added Pickett and Allen to the DL.

Translation - Brought in 1 good LB because his team was so pitiful the year before that he had the 5 pick. Another LB that can't cover anyone and they refuse to yank him because the 3rd LB he brought in can't beat him out. Also Hodge who has yet to do anything.

He then overpaid for an injury prone problem CB. Drafted another one that can't get on the field either.

Roman was released in favor of Manual who looks terrible and makes more than Roman. Underwood is hurt and stunk last year.

afted three WR's, one of whom was injured unfortunately, addressed the pitiful punter situation we had, and found somebody that looks decent to replace Longwells longing to play in a dome.

Of which only one is still around. Murphy may have or may have not been anything special. He also traded JWalk. So we started with Walker and end up with Jennings?

He DID find a better Punter! Great Job Ted!

Don't even try to compare Rayner with Longwell

We've got some special teams players that can actually walk and chew gum.

Who? Koren? He can walk and chew gum but unfortunately can also get Drunk and Drive 100 mph.

But no big name guy to repace the RB's? Gee, I guess Rome wasn't buit in a day.

Perhaps if you don't make HALF of the boneheaded moves he has already made we could have a capable RB to back-up Green right now

Members online

Latest posts