Green hopes to be back in the running

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to Packer Plus
Posted: Jan. 16, 2007

Green Bay - Ahman Green is set to turn 30 on Feb. 16.

Ahman Green, coming back from injury, played in 14 games in 2006 and ran for 1,059 yards for the Packers.

His body has taken a pounding over the last six seasons. He has a hard time staying on the field for extended stretches due to his asthma. And it's unlikely he'll ever be the same player he was following surgery on his right quadriceps tendon in 2005.

On the flip side, Green is far and away the best running back the Green Bay Packers had in 2006. And one of the biggest decisions the Packers will make this off-season is whether to bring the unrestricted free agent back in 2007.

"That's not something we talk about," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said of Green's future with the team. "I thought he had a good year. He came back pretty strong from that injury and ran really hard."

But hard enough - and well enough - for the Packers to make a significant investment in him?

Green played in 14 games in 2006 and ran for 1,059 yards. That marked the sixth time in his seven seasons as a Packer that Green eclipsed the 1,000-yard barrier.

Green also sits in second-place on the Packers' all-time rushing list with 8,162 yards, just 46 away from breaking Jim Taylor's team record (8,207).

But Green clearly isn't the player he once was.

Explosiveness was once a staple of Green's game. But this season, he had just four carries of at least 20 yards. He also finished the year averaging 4.0 yards per carry, down substantially from the 4.7 he averaged between 2000-'04.

Green was also a touchdown machine earlier in his career, averaging 12.1 between 2000-'04. But this season, he had just six TDs. And that came on the heels of a zero-TD season in 2005.

At this stage of his career, it's doubtful Green will get any better. So it will be quite interesting to see whether the Packers remain status quo or try getting both younger and potentially better.

"I think (Ahman) gave us all confidence just the way he did come back from that surgery, the way he continued to get stronger as the season went on," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think you have a lot of evidence right there, and I'd like to have him back. Once it falls into a business decision, those are factors between him and his agent and our organization. We'll see what happens."

Green signed a one-year, incentive laden deal last off-season. Green was paid $2 million in base salary and made roughly another $900,000 in incentives.

The Packers could offer Green a similar deal this time around. But if Green tested the free-agent market, he might have a chance to do much better because the running back class is extremely weak.

In fact, Green could be viewed as the best running back among the free-agent group. His competition includes Indianapolis' Dominic Rhodes, San Diego backup Michael Turner and Tennessee's Chris Brown - not a stellar group by any stretch of the imagination.

The NFL Draft would likely be a better way for the Packers to find Green's replacement, but that's not a sure thing either.

Adrian Peterson, who left Oklahoma after his junior season, is regarded as the top back by most. But Peterson will almost certainly be gone by the time the Packers use the No. 16 overall pick.

California's Marshawn Lynch, another early entry, could be available when Green Bay uses its first-round pick. The other top backs - such as Louisville's Michael Bush and Auburn's Kenny Irons - are likely to be second-round picks unless they wow people at the NFL Combine.

Green, for one, has no idea what will happen next.

"I've tried not to worry about it too much," he said shortly before the season ended. "I think the Packers know what I can do, what I've done here and what I'm about. I really have no idea what's going to happen."

Many of Green's teammates believe he should be back.

"Who knows what they're going to do in the draft? All I know is Ahman's been here a long time," running back Noah Herron said. "And it's not my business, but the way I feel about it is he's earned the right to stay here and keep playing."

Running back Vernand Morency agreed.

"He helps me out tremendously," Morency said. "He helps me every week, every day. He doesn't even have to say anything, I'm watching his mannerisms. He's a constant professional. Anybody in this organization right now should look up to him because I want to be where he's been at."

Whether that's still in Green Bay will be one of the most interesting developments of the Packers' off-season.

"I hope he's back," Herron said. "He proved this year he can still play. Hopefully, he's playing for us next year."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I do hope he is back...But if he can get a huge contract with another team and it isnt financial sound to keep him here I will wish him the best of luck..

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were TT I would try to pick up Michael Turner from San Diego and pass on Green.

Green is a discount option not good enough if you're thinking about getting to the big game.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Green is a valuable blitz pick up guy, receiver and a decent running back. Sign him but dont break the bank.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Is Michael Turner a UFA, RFA?

He has some awesome stats for backing up the leagues MVP, well rushing stats. Over 500 yards and higher than 6 yards per carry. Not sure how he is at picking up the blitz or is as a receiver. His receiving stats are well they leave room for improvement.

If we did pick up Turner instead of Green, I think that would be good. Turner is a lot younger and has an upside where Green is starting his downside.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Michael Turner a UFA, RFA?

He has some awesome stats for backing up the leagues MVP, well rushing stats. Over 500 yards and higher than 6 yards per carry. Not sure how he is at picking up the blitz or is as a receiver. His receiving stats are well they leave room for improvement.

If we did pick up Turner instead of Green, I think that would be good. Turner is a lot younger and has an upside where Green is starting his downside.

I don't think San Diego has used Turner as a receiving back but he looks like a decent kick returner.

If TT has any thoughts of winning any kind of championship a guy like Turner is a better bet than Green to get you there, IMHO.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I don't think San Diego has used Turner as a receiving back but he looks like a decent kick returner.

If TT has any thoughts of winning any kind of championship a guy like Turner is a better bet than Green to get you there, IMHO.

As I'd hate to see Green leave(more accurately said as not resigned), I do think Turner would be better for the future.
As you said about Turner not being used as a receiving back, true. Not often does the backup RB get a lot of balls thrown to him unless he's a third down back. But thats coming from someone(me) who is not knowledgable about the NFL.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i think Green would be great to have back in a "passing the torch" type of role next year. splitting the carries, helping the next guy get acclimated to the offense. a nice veteran, mentor type role.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Cliff said:

i think Green would be great to have back in a "passing the torch" type of role next year. splitting the carries, helping the next guy get acclimated to the offense. a nice veteran, mentor type role.

Green, Turner and Morency ... that'd be nice, yes?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Cliff said:

that'd be f'n great...word is San Diego will put the first round tender on him though. doesn't seem like something ted would go for at all.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Turner will be looking for a starting RB role if he signs elsewhere. Maybe Green can coach Turner from the bench.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I'd hate to see Green leave(more accurately said as not resigned), I do think Turner would be better for the future.
As you said about Turner not being used as a receiving back, true. Not often does the backup RB get a lot of balls thrown to him unless he's a third down back. But thats coming from someone(me) who is not knowledgable about the NFL.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Your sarcasm cuts like a knife. You got me!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Your sarcasm cuts like a knife. You got me!

Ummmmm, okay? Please, take your medication?? :)

Zero2Cool said:

I think Turner will be looking for a starting RB role if he signs elsewhere. Maybe Green can coach Turner from the bench.

No sweat, make Turner the starter and Green 3rd down back. I think that would serve the Packers very well. Green is a proven RB who can pick up a blitz or catch the ball out of the backfield and Turner has not been given the chance to prove he can catch the ball out of the backfield. Atleast, thats jus judging from his stats.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ALEX Green now! (Didn't want to create another thread)

I'm not as impressed with James Starks as it seems some Packer fans are. I like Saine more, and realize that Alex Green has the most ability of any of them.

August 3rd, 2012

-The Packers were looking for big things from running back James Starks in his third season. So far, they haven't seen it according to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Even though he has taken probably three times as many snaps as Alex Green, it has been Green who has been the more dynamic performer. The medical staff has limited Green's reps because of his reconstructive knee surgery Nov. 9. Starks hasn't made strides as a pass blocker or ball carrier. The number of dropped passes has decreased in the past few practices, but near the end Starks dropped a short pass in the middle of the field and then had to do some pushups.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope these successors can put up some numbers in an offense that is meant to take to the air.
Ahman Green will always be special. He was a raw talent slasher who played behind as powerful an offensive line as was seen in Green Bay since 1962. There was nothing so beautiful as to see Ahman take one to the house as he did in the 2003 season finale 99 yards against Denver. Sherman did not get Favre the receivers we have now but he gave him a running game to make his job a lot easier.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Green coming out of the draft and he showed some flashes before he got hurt. Truly I haven't seen enough though to make an up or down opinion. But I'm not a big Starks fans. He runs too upright, doesn't block or catch well. Green from what I've read could be a very good receiver out of the backfield.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Starks fan, but let's talk about what he does well. He runs well after contact, falls forward for extra yardage, and can be elusive between the tackles. We saw that during the 2010 playoffs but not much since. Last year his only good game that I remember was running out the clock at Minnesota, when they knew Starks was running it each time but couldn't stop him.

Somebody mentioned it in a different thread though, pass protection will likely be the most important atttribute for the starting RB on the Packers. It's a wide open competition for this job.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks is not a 20 carry a game back. At least not for long. It will be a RB by committee backfield especially with a passing team.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would the offense be like if it had a Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, Ray Rice type?
I think we'd still be a passing team and the RB wouldn't get anymore than 12-15 carries a game.

It's tough to beat our offense as-is.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would the offense be like if it had a Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, Ray Rice type?
I think we'd still be a passing team and the RB wouldn't get anymore than 12-15 carries a game.

It's tough to beat our offense as-is.

2nd best all time I thought

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Green. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start before the season ends.

Here's my scouting report on him.

PROS-He's really big for a back at 6'0" 220 lbs and can absorb and take hits. But his size doesn't seem to slow him down as he still runs a 4.5 40 y/d. Unlike the former runningback with the last name Green(see my signature :D) He never fumbled once in college. Great for Mike McCarthy's offense where ball security is #1. He was a part of that pass happy offense in Hawaii where one of his main duties was pass blocking. He's shown good recognition and a quick first step to pick up blitzers in pass protection. He also shows very good bounce to the outside when the middle is clogged. Led the NCAA in YPC behind wide open holes. Great hands.

CONS- Runs really upright. I know the Packers staff has been trying to work on that with him but I didn't see much improvement in it before he got injured last year. This is bad because he exposes himself to many big hits from opposing players and prevents himself from delivering big blows to opposing players. As a tall of a guy he is already this makes him possible to spot from almost anywhere on the field too. (Loses his elusiveness) He also has to work on making defenders miss in front of him with better start-stop moves. Also didn't deliver big blows or show the kind of strength you'd like to see out of a player his size in pass protection. Only carried the ball 232 times in college.

CONCLUSION- He's got a lot of talent and fits the Packer's scheme well. He also has amazing size. Won't ever be an every down back but could excel on 3rd downs. Look for him to be catching some balls out of the backfield also.

Members online

Latest posts