Green Bay Trading Up???

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not likely. Kind of goes against TT and the ZBS philosophies.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder where these guys hear this stuff? Do they make it up and stick it out there and hope someone buys into it. I just can't see TT at this stage of the teams rebuilding process giving up draft choices. Maybe in another year yes, but now, no!

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder where these guys hear this stuff? Do they make it up and stick it out there and hope someone buys into it. I just can't see TT at this stage of the teams rebuilding process giving up draft choices. Maybe in another year yes, but now, no!

I'm assuming "these guys" means the people that wrote the article, not me for starting the thread right? I'm not sure either...it probably has to do with Cleveland getting Jamal Lewis and now the speculation is whether Cleveland will draft AP as projected by many mock drafts now. Jamal Lewis signed a one year deal so chances are they may still draft AP.

I know that I personally would love to see AP in green and gold though.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goes against ZBS, because the teams that use it have had success with lower round, lesser known backs. You don't need a big time back to have success with the system. I'd still love to have Peterson, but it just doesn't seem to make sense with the TT's stance on draft picks and the blocking scheme we have implemented.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
why does it go against the zone blocking scheme? cuz he's a strong runner?

Agree 100%. Peterson ran a sub 4.4 40 yard dash at the combine, didn't he? He's strong, fast, and very agile...doesn't sound like zone-blocking scheme to me... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goes against ZBS, because the teams that use it have had success with lower round, lesser known backs. You don't need a big time back to have success with the system. I'd still love to have Peterson, but it just doesn't seem to make sense with the TT's stance on draft picks and the blocking scheme we have implemented.

Not trying to be a smart@ss here, but when was Terrell Davis drafted by the Broncos? I don't mark success by 1,000 season for a RB as much as I do winning football games. Denver's last huge run of success was beating the Pack and Falcons in back to back SB's with Davis...my point is that I think Davis was a marquee back coming into the draft from Georgia.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope not!
And I don't believe it will happen.

Seriously, I'm very happy with Theodora's stance on free agency this year and looking forward to his draft. The money being thrown out to marginal players was insane and I'm glad that Theodora didn't get involved.

I'm hoping that if the right guy is not there in round 1 that he will trade for more picks rather than give any up.
I 'm not a believer that you can just plug in any running back into the ZBS and be successful, but I think we can get a good back in the draft that will fit our needs.

I'm hoping for more picks not less!

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hoos said:

Not trying to be a smart@ss here, but when was Terrell Davis drafted by the Broncos? I don't mark success by 1,000 season for a RB as much as I do winning football games. Denver's last huge run of success was beating the Pack and Falcons in back to back SB's with Davis...my point is that I think Davis was a marquee back coming into the draft from Georgia.

Davis was a 6th round draft pick, not exactly a marquee guy in the draft.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
hoos said:

OK, I stand corrected there. I wasn't sure and that's why I asked the question. Point being is that T.D. was an excellent back and you can't just throw someone back there because of scheme and make all the difference. If TT finds a gem in this year's draft regardless of round, that would be awesome...I'm a little skeptical of the backs we currently have.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hoos said:
NDPackerFan said:
hoos said:

OK, I stand corrected there. I wasn't sure and that's why I asked the question. Point being is that T.D. was an excellent back and you can't just throw someone back there because of scheme and make all the difference. If TT finds a gem in this year's draft regardless of round, that would be awesome...I'm a little skeptical of the backs we currently have.

I agree 100% that the backs we have right now won't cut it, but my point is that you don't need a top talent to be successful with the scheme, just a good back. Denver has had success with Davis, Mike Anderson, Ruben Droughns, Clinton Portis, and to a degree with the Bells. Warrick Dunn was always good, but seems to have played better in Atlanta. I've also heard that this was part of the reason that Houston did not select Bush last year. The theory is that you don't spend that high of a pick on a runner.

I think we'll be fine if we get Lynch at 16 or even a lesser known back in the later rounds. I just wish we would bring in a vet to help shoulder the load.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't know what TT's style is, he's been here 3 seasons and he had to fill up the roster with talent, now that the roster is filled with talent you don't know TT won't trade up to get phenomenal playmaking talent like Adrian Peterson is. Best back of the draft, next best back is Michael Bush.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would trade down for another second round pick. Then take best receiver available in first and in second take two RB, Hunt and Lorenzo Booker. Let them fight it out and we will at least have backup. Still think Duckett should have been picked up. Detroit got him relatively cheap.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Bush in green and gold. I liked him for the Pack before he got injured.
For some reason the Packers have never been good at drafting running backs and I'm not sure Peterson would be good in Green Bay.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think it will happen. First, AP will be gone by 6 (someone will trade up with AZ or Tampa if the tackle is gone). Second, TT never trades up.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he won't trade up. The Packers have to many needs to move 3 picks for one and it's not his style. Just wishful thinking for the Pack to land AP.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he won't trade up. The Packers have to many needs to move 3 picks for one and it's not his style. Just wishful thinking for the Pack to land AP.

Agreed we need a RB,FB,TE,S,WR

To many spots needed to be giving away picks

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't know what TT's style is, he's been here 3 seasons and he had to fill up the roster with talent, now that the roster is filled with talent you don't know TT won't trade up to get phenomenal playmaking talent like Adrian Peterson is. Best back of the draft, next best back is Michael Bush.

TT's style has been the same in Seattle and now GB...I think it's fair to say that his style has been to stockpile picks or at least covet the ones he's given. He hasn't been known to trade up or trade away picks.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One rumor has TT trading the 16th pick, a second round pick, and a second day pick to the Redskins if Adrian Peterson is still on the board when Washington's first round pick comes up.

This would be totally against TT's style, but the rumor is interesting nonetheless...anyone think TT would pull the trigger on this?

LINK:
http://www.nj.com/columns/times/eck...lumns-0/117358994452000.xml&coll=5&thispage=2

Yes, I think it is a real possibility
But i hope the packers keep the 16th pick and draft D.Jarrett in round 1
M. Bush in round 2

Members online

Latest posts