Green Bay Tabs Jagodzinski As Offensive Coordinator

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Well, this is from Packers.com so ya who knows how valid it is lol

posted 01/15/2006

Installing the first pillar in the Packers' new coaching staff, Head Coach Mike McCarthy Sunday named Wisconsin native Jeff Jagodzinski offensive coordinator.

Jagodzinski, 42, returns to the Packers from the Atlanta Falcons, where he'd spent the previous two seasons. He served last season as the Falcons' offensive line coach, a promotion he had earned after his first year in Atlanta, 2004, as tight ends coach.

During each of Jagodzinski's two years in Atlanta, the Falcons led the NFL in both rushing yards per game and rushing yards per carry. In part behind timely blocks from the coach's tight ends, Atlanta in 2004 set a franchise record with 2,672 rushing yards, a springboard to the team's berth in the NFC Championship game. Last season, with Jagodzinski as line coach, the Falcons' zone-blocking schemes led the way for RB Warrick Dunn's career-high 1,416 rushing yards, a Pro Bowl effort.

Alge Crumpler, the coach's primary pupil as tight ends coach in 2004, went to the Pro Bowl that season after establishing career highs in receptions (48), receiving yards (774) and touchdowns (6). Crumpler's 16.1-yard per-catch average led all NFL tight ends.

Jagodzinski (jay-gah-ZIN-skee) during his time in Atlanta worked with offensive line consultant Alex Gibbs, the architect of some of the best offensive lines in NFL history, including the 1997-98 Super Bowl champion Broncos. Jagodzinski had coached for 19 years at the pro and college levels before he worked with Gibbs. The new Packers coordinator has 21 overall seasons of coaching experience.

Prior to joining the Falcons, Jagodzinski spent five years (1999-2003) as the Packers' tight ends coach. During that time, he coached with McCarthy (1999) and was instrumental in launching the career of three-time Pro Bowl tight end Bubba Franks.

Before entering the NFL, Jagodzinski served as offensive coordinator/offensive line at Boston College (1997-98), offensive line coach (1992-96) and tight ends/assistant offensive line (1989-91) at East Carolina, offensive line coach (1987-88) at LSU, offensive line coach at Northern Illinois (1986) and running backs coach (1985) at Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Born in Milwaukee, Jagodzinski played collegiately at Whitewater, starting three years at fullback. He was all-conference at West Allis (Wis.) Central High School.

Only the fifth individual to hold the title of Packers offensive coordinator, Jagodzinski joins Paul Roach (1975-76), Lindy Infante (1988-91), Sherman Lewis (1992-99) and Tom Rossley (2000-05). Bob Schnelker (1969-71), John Polonchek (1972-74), Lew Carpenter (1975-79) and Tom Coughlin (1986-87) served as passing game coordinators on staffs that didn't necessarily carry an offensive coordinator.

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
okay so who are we gonna pick for a tight end
this guy defenitly likes to use tight ends, do we draft one cause bubbas not much of a reciever or do we use lee as a starter

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ZeroZ Kool in DePere-- posts on this topic" Well, this is from Packers.com so ya who knows how valid it is lol." unquote-------- Are you saying this as a joke. or are you serious. If you are serious, please get your facts backing up this statement & phone Packer President Bob Harlan about any statements on Packer Forum that are invaild. Ask him to investigate and ask him to please correct the situation. I am sure he would be very concerned about incorrect information on packer,com, as the President of the Green Bay However, I don't think you will pursue this issue of validity. I have used the Packer .com website many times over the years and I found their postings to be extemely accurate. If their are invaild articles on packer.com, I think it is duty of any Packer fan to notify them.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
ZeroZ Kool in DePere-- posts on this topic" Well, this is from Packers.com so ya who knows how valid it is lol." unquote-------- Are you saying this as a joke. or are you serious. If you are serious, please get your facts backing up this statement & phone Packer President Bob Harlan about any statements on Packer Forum that are invaild. Ask him to investigate and ask him to please correct the situation. I am sure he would be very concerned about incorrect information on packer,com, as the President of the Green Bay However, I don't think you will pursue this issue of validity. I have used the Packer .com website many times over the years and I found their postings to be extemely accurate. If their are invaild articles on packer.com, I think it is duty of any Packer fan to notify them.

I have facts as does anyone else who's been reading this forum. One, TT did no draft Alexander as their article claimed. Two, Gado didn't receive six TD and receive one TD, he rushed for six TD and received one TD.

Give me Bob Harlans number and I will contact him about this as I find this very disheartening that our 'official' packers website has these inaccuracies. In fact, it embarrasses me.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The inaccuracy that people are referring to is the statement that one of TT's draft picks won the MVP, when the pick was actually made when Holmgren was GM in Seattle and, thus, was his pick.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it kind of funny and ironic that this was the guy who criticized Sherman for not listening to input from his coaches, and NOW this guy is OC...

..crazy world..ain't it?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody involved in getting the Falcons rushing attack the way it is now is welcome to come to Lambeau and coach IMO!

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems very enthusiastic and confident. Seems like a good pick-up to me. I guess he is the first of many "Packer People."

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like is that Jags (let's just go ahead and call him that, it's easier) brings something to the table that McCarthy doesn't, which is experience working under Alex Gibbs and his "zone blocking" scheme. So he's not just a yes man.

P.S. If anyone out there knows what the heck "zone blocking" is, please enlighten the rest of us.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
P.S. If anyone out there knows what the heck "zone blocking" is, please enlighten the rest of us.

Zone Blocking

In zone blocking schemes, the offensive linemen team up to protect an area of the field, particularly against teams that stunt or slant to a defensive gap on the snap of the ball. Because of the myriad of defenses an offense is likely to face, it is necessary to reduce blocking to its simplest elements rather than have a blocking scheme for every defense that an offense might face. Hence, the introduction of blocking rules and the concept of team blocking. For example, a tackle and guard may team up to block a linebacker and defensive tackle, the blocking scheme for each offensive player depending on whether the linebacker and tackle play straight up or the linebacker stunts inside. Zone blocking depends on the concept of team blocking, and its principles are built by getting movement off the line of scrimmage, blocking all gaps and seams, and securing an area to the play-side of the hole.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, arrow. I read your post just after I made my own post about zone blocking after hearing Larry McCarren explain it on the news. I like the idea of reducing blocking to its simplest elements. Maybe with this scheme the line will have less trouble with 3-4 defenses and other unusual formations. But there must be a reason why so few teams have adopted this blocking scheme. Maybe it's harder than it sounds to execute well.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Thanks, arrow. I read your post just after I made my own post about zone blocking after hearing Larry McCarren explain it on the news. I like the idea of reducing blocking to its simplest elements. Maybe with this scheme the line will have less trouble with 3-4 defenses and other unusual formations. But there must be a reason why so few teams have adopted this blocking scheme. Maybe it's harder than it sounds to execute well.

yeah no prob..it seems like the idea behind is that you can execute it (if it's done right of course) regardless of what the D shows you. sure sounds nice on paper :wink:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Anybody involved in getting the Falcons rushing attack the way it is now is welcome to come to Lambeau and coach IMO!

The Falcons rushing was number one in the league but that is skewed by the fact that Michael Vick would often take off and run. The Falcons averaged 159 yards/game rushing. Without Vick's numbers that number goes down to 122 yards/game which is still above average but nothing to rave about.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alex Gibbs, nee of Denver, is a special consultant or something like that for the Falcons. He is considered the master of zone-blocking strategy from what I've read/heard. I assume that Jag learned much from him in his stint in ATL.
Hammer

Members online

Latest posts