Green Bay has to go after Derwin James and resign Morgan Burnett

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson is gone!!! (cue violin). Graham is in. AR12 is back (evil laugh). The offense will be historically dominant...barring injury. Its now time to solidify the defense. GB cannot get a premier cornerback...they're all gone. They must get creative!!! They should strongly consider re-signing Morgan Burnett (7m/year max) on a 3-year deal. Get that done and go after Derwin James!!! Versatility=Creativity. This draft is deep @ the cornerback position, and there will be value picks in the 2-3 rounds. However, if you get Burnett, draft Derwin James, and put them with Ha Ha, Josh Jones, Kevin King, and whatever CBs are left, along with a better front 7 (Wilkerson addition); the defense will be drastically better. Pettine alone will make this defense drastically better. Thoughts?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the 5 DBs 4 are safeties including the one you want us to draft. I' Not opposed to it, James will probably an excellent player (And equally likely to be gone) . I am going to start thinking CB Ward maybe a likely pick at 14.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy if we can sign a 1 year prove it deal with DRC to tide this season and draft a CB with top 3 picks for future.

This looks to be an impact season and we need guaranteed performers. I reckon DRC still has 1 (or maybe 2 seasons) left, esp if we rotate him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really don't want to resign Burnett.

He's 29, slow and getting slower, and can't stay healthy. Plus we just drafted his replacement last year.

He's a smart player, I think he would do fine with Pettine, but I don't wanna pay him that much money.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the 5 DBs 4 are safeties including the one you want us to draft. I' Not opposed to it, James will probably an excellent player (And equally likely to be gone) . I am going to start thinking CB Ward maybe a likely pick at 14.

A lot of mock drafts have Ward ahead of Derwin James. Also, James is capable of playing multiple positions in the secondary. Give Morgan an endorsement with Culvers so he can beef up and play more LB/box safety.

Mike Zak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can 8 million be 'too steep' for the Packers to resign Burnett? Make some guaranteed or signing bonus, and back end the last 2 years,....c'mon,...you can't let the Secondary take another hit!,....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So give an expensive 3rd contract to a strong safety a year after drafting his replacement AND draft another strong safety? I'm not so sure...

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking we're gonna let Morgan walk, but I'm very interested in Derwin James. If he starts slipping, we might need to trade up and snag him.

We need a gamechanger on defense BADLY, I think he could be the guy. Also interested in Ward. Hope we don't reach with Josh Jackson.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking we're gonna let Morgan walk, but I'm very interested in Derwin James. If he starts slipping, we might need to trade up and snag him.

We need a gamechanger on defense BADLY, I think he could be the guy. Also interested in Ward. Hope we don't reach with Josh Jackson.
I agree on James and Ward, don't know if either get to us. I don't see us keeping Morgan and drafting James, I'd love to keep MB and get a top tier CB or Edge in the first round. If we let MB walk I'm good with James, I think he is too good to pass on.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heck with that, I'd be ok with the Packers moving up into the 8-10 range to draft James. The guy is an athletic marvel with an amazing skill set. James has the potential to be a better version of Landon Collins.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nelson is gone!!! (cue violin). Graham is in. AR12 is back (evil laugh). The offense will be historically dominant...barring injury. Its now time to solidify the defense. GB cannot get a premier cornerback...they're all gone. They must get creative!!! They should strongly consider re-signing Morgan Burnett (7m/year max) on a 3-year deal. Get that done and go after Derwin James!!! Versatility=Creativity. This draft is deep @ the cornerback position, and there will be value picks in the 2-3 rounds. However, if you get Burnett, draft Derwin James, and put them with Ha Ha, Josh Jones, Kevin King, and whatever CBs are left, along with a better front 7 (Wilkerson addition); the defense will be drastically better. Pettine alone will make this defense drastically better. Thoughts?

I would prefer the Packers to use the cap space you suggest to spend on Burnett on one of the remaining free agent cornerbacks. The secondary definitely has to be improved over the course of the offseason with James being an intriguing prospect.

How can 8 million be 'too steep' for the Packers to resign Burnett? Make some guaranteed or signing bonus, and back end the last 2 years,....c'mon,...you can't let the Secondary take another hit!,....

The Packers might believe Josh Jones will be able to adequately replace Burnett.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good CB's will always go high.

What round did Richard Sherman go? Malcolm Butler? Josh Norman? Aqib Talib? Janoris Jenkins? Xavier Rhodes? Casey Hayward? Chris Harris Jr.? Those are 8 out of the top 10 CBs according to a list of the top 100 NFL players prior to the 2017. Clearly, that was last year, the list will fair differently for the 2018,but "good CBs" can be found anywhere.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rson-richard-sherman-2017-rankings/477398001/

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to use the cap space you suggest to spend on Burnett on one of the remaining free agent cornerbacks. The secondary definitely has to be improved over the course of the offseason with James being an intriguing prospect.

Gute and Green Bay can have their cake and eat it too, simply by offering Morris Claiborne, a one-year incentive laden contract (dependent upon health), with possibly an option (team or player) for a second year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What round did Richard Sherman go? Malcolm Butler? Josh Norman? Aqib Talib? Janoris Jenkins? Xavier Rhodes? Casey Hayward? Chris Harris Jr.? Those are 8 out of the top 10 CBs according to a list of the top 100 NFL players prior to the 2017. Clearly, that was last year, the list will fair differently for the 2018,but "good CBs" can be found anywhere.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rson-richard-sherman-2017-rankings/477398001/

Ahem*

Players who are scouted as high caliber CB's, especially in recent years, always go high.

2014: 5 CB's first round
2015: 5 CB's first round
2016: 5 CB's first round
2017: 5 CB's first round (plus the 1st 2nd round pick was a CB as we should know)

I agree that good CB's can be found in most rounds. It's hard though. My point is that Alexander is widely regarded as a top 5 CB in this draft, and I would not expect him to last til the 2nd round. Teams always need good, cheap CB's.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahem*

Players who are scouted as high caliber CB's, especially in recent years, always go high.

2014: 5 CB's first round
2015: 5 CB's first round
2016: 5 CB's first round
2017: 5 CB's first round (plus the 1st 2nd round pick was a CB as we should know)

I agree that good CB's can be found in most rounds. It's hard though. My point is that Alexander is widely regarded as a top 5 CB in this draft, and I would not expect him to last til the 2nd round. Teams always need good, cheap CB's.

Currently, today, Alexander is projected to go 12th to Oakland. I concede that argument. I'm not high on him, his comps (**** Tabor?) and his weakness in the redzone (red flag) isn't necessary for GB's secondary. I would rather have versatile converted safeties than CBs that are only highly functional playing one scheme. Also, you conveniently left out the names of the CBs in the last four drafts.

2014: Justin Gilbert (ha), Kyle Fuller (mkay), Darqueze Denard (ok), Jason Verrett (Mr. Operation), Bradley Roby (we'll really see this year)
2015: Trae Waynes (Sir Torched A-Lot), Kevin Johnson (solid), Marcus Peters (hit), Byron Jones (*crickets)
2016: Jalen Ramsey (no brainer), Eli Apple (mama's boy), Vernon Hargreaves (he was on Hard Knocks!!!), William Jackson (?), Artie Burns (shouldn't be starting)
2017: Marshon Lattimore (hit), Marlon Humphrey, Adoree' Jackson (hit), Gareon Conley, Tre'Davious White (hit)

My point? If it isn't a no brainer type of DB (tape+combine+interview+scheme), you can find better value in a later round.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're talking about something completely different then I am. I'm just explaining why it's unrealistic to expect Alexander in the 2nd for us. Not talking about player value or quality of player.

And I love Zierline, but Tabor is a terrible comp for Alexander. Tabor is slowwww, Alexander tests and plays fast. His '17 tape wasn't as good bc of injury, but his '16 tape is great, and doesn't lie.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're talking about something completely different then I am. I'm just explaining why it's unrealistic to expect Alexander in the 2nd for us. Not talking about player value or quality of player.

And I love Zierline, but Tabor is a terrible comp for Alexander. Tabor is slowwww, Alexander tests and plays fast. His '17 tape wasn't as good bc of injury, but his '16 tape is great, and doesn't lie.

I didn't even know you were replying to my post. Well here you go...http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/jaire-alexander?id=2560102

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute and Green Bay can have their cake and eat it too, simply by offering Morris Claiborne, a one-year incentive laden contract (dependent upon health), with possibly an option (team or player) for a second year.

Claiborne has signed with another team, think it either the Jets or the Bills. If the Packers are going to get a CB in FA, I hope it's Rashaan Melvin.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's 29, slow and getting slower, and can't stay healthy. Plus we just drafted his replacement last year.

He's a smart player, I think he would do fine with Pettine, but I don't wanna pay him that much money.

29 is not exactly what I would call "over the hill" for a safety.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Claiborne has signed with another team, think it either the Jets or the Bills. If the Packers are going to get a CB in FA, I hope it's Rashaan Melvin.

I hear ya...well...read you. He's meeting today with the Packers. Probably will sign. Hope it makes sense financially. 3 year deal max. He's a young veteran. Good size. Performed well last season. None of the corners in this upcoming draft are really enticing in my opinion. Do it!!! Hopefully, Derwin James is there for the taking @14.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, I feel like signing James would be akin to giving up on a superbly talented player, Josh Jones, after just one year and oh yeah both players are said to be supreme physical talents who need to improve in areas like diagnosing plays, playing too aggressive, getting locked in on routes and tunnel vision. I feel like James is just the somewhat better version of Josh Jones but probably not worth the investment. Especially not when we need help elsewhere. The more I think about it the more I think that Davenport is the likely candidate. In Pettine's scheme he can be used predominantly as an edge setting pass rusher.

If Gute takes after TT he'll look for long term upside, artificial value downgrade(small school, age, weird position projection, late bloomer). Between Davenports measurables and the way that he trashed OTs at the Senior Bowl its possible that the FO looks at him and decides that but for him being a late bloomer he would have gone to a powerhouse program and turned into a top 3 pick. Look at this kids measurables versus those of Myles Garrett and Jadaveon Clowney. Then look at his performance against good OT prospects at the Senior Bowl.

If Gute picks either Josh Jackson or a guard at 14 you will all be able to hear my stream of profanities wherever you are.

D

Deleted member 6794

Currently, today, Alexander is projected to go 12th to Oakland. I concede that argument. I'm not high on him, his comps (**** Tabor?) and his weakness in the redzone (red flag) isn't necessary for GB's secondary. I would rather have versatile converted safeties than CBs that are only highly functional playing one scheme. Also, you conveniently left out the names of the CBs in the last four drafts.

2014: Justin Gilbert (ha), Kyle Fuller (mkay), Darqueze Denard (ok), Jason Verrett (Mr. Operation), Bradley Roby (we'll really see this year)
2015: Trae Waynes (Sir Torched A-Lot), Kevin Johnson (solid), Marcus Peters (hit), Byron Jones (*crickets)
2016: Jalen Ramsey (no brainer), Eli Apple (mama's boy), Vernon Hargreaves (he was on Hard Knocks!!!), William Jackson (?), Artie Burns (shouldn't be starting)
2017: Marshon Lattimore (hit), Marlon Humphrey, Adoree' Jackson (hit), Gareon Conley, Tre'Davious White (hit)

My point? If it isn't a no brainer type of DB (tape+combine+interview+scheme), you can find better value in a later round.

While it's possible to hit on a defensive back in the later rounds of the draft it definitely gets tougher to select one.

Members online

Latest posts