Greatest Team Ever

PackfanfromNJ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed already since I am new here but, anybody agree with me that the 2010-2011 Packers should go down as greatest "team" ever. Understand true meaning of team also. 15 guys on IR=Super Bowl Champs. Nobody else in the NFL or history of NFL can do that, IMO.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's been partially talked about, but the consensus greatest Packers team was Lombardi's '62 Team, they lost one game all season and dominated everyone else

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack for the most part didn't dominate and smash other teams during the regular season (exception Dallas, Minnesota and that felt good). Likewise the team was never dominated in any of it's six losses. Their strong resolution along the way with new players coming and going and the resulting success is truly satisfifying and a great reason to be proud of our Packers. The great coaching and preparation, hard work really paid off.

Nick 52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we'd had everyone fit all season , we might have put together a run of games and results where this "greatest" tag could be assigned.
We didn't and ended 10-6, therefore not the greatest. I suppose the undefeated '29 team, or the 1 loss '62 team are the greatest Packers.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think about this, the '62 team had not 1, or 3, or 5 Hall of Famer's...it had 11 and it should be 12.

Offense:
Bart Starr-QB
Paul Hornung -HB
Jim Taylor-FB
Jim Ringo -C
Forrest Gregg- RT
( and should add Jerry Kramer- RG)

Defense:
Henry Jordan- RT
Willie Davis-LE
Ray Nitschke- MLB
Willie Wood - FS
Herb Adderley - CB

add Lombardi to make 11, Kramer would make 12.

Think that was not the best Packer Team of all time?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Clearly not the greatest team ever, but you may be able to argue that they are the team that may have overcome some of the greatest adversity; with that I might be able to agree.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed already since I am new here but, anybody agree with me that the 2010-2011 Packers should go down as greatest "team" ever. Understand true meaning of team also. 15 guys on IR=Super Bowl Champs. Nobody else in the NFL or history of NFL can do that, IMO.

Nah, while winning a Superbowl with all those injuries was impressive, it doesn't make it the best team ever. It doesn't even make them the best Packers team ever.

I'm a guessing the poster isn't old enough to remember the Lombardi years.

Unfortunately, I am!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the 96 Packers? I believe the Packers were #1 in total offense and defense that year. Pretty hard to argue with being the best on both sides of the ball.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. They where the best on O and D that year.

When I think of the nineties Pack I get the urge to chant Reggie, Reggie.

That Reggie White, Sean Jones, Gilbert Brown, Santana Dotson front four was pretty awesome.

And please don't forget Andre "Bad Moon" Rison.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
96 was good. Better than 2010 I would say. Mostly because of the STs. But 62 was hands down the best packers team.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'62 team is the best team I've ever personally seen, 1st in scoring and 1st in scoring defense.

The '29 team (12-0-1) was 2nd in scoring and 1st in scoring defense, allowing only 22 points in 13 games. That team may have been the greatest all-time. And it had the great Johnny Blood.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
In terms of the Pack, I'd go with the '62, '96 and yes, 2010 teams in that order. The '62 and '96 teams are very close. I'm a bit partial because Reggie was on the '96 team and I can still remember that SB win like it was yesterday. I never thought I could feel so overwhelmingly happy about a football team, ... until 2010. Can you imagine, maybe even 10, say 20 years down the road, people will be talking about the greatness of the 2010 team as we talk about the '62 and '96 teams now?

Outside of the Pack, and I hate myself for this, I'm going to have to walk backwards for a week, but I'm going to give a shout out to the Cowboys of the mid '90s. All of those SBs. You had Aikmen, Emmitt Smith (the only Cowboy I'll ever love), Micheal Irvin..... to only name a few. That was a super team, a team capable of winning multiple SBs in consecutive years. I bring them up because I think there is one team right now who mirrors what those Cowboys did. The 2010 Green Bay Packers.

It's really hard to name the greatest team ever. You can look at it from a purely technical point of view, all personal biased aside but that is hard to do. It was hard for me to give the Cowboys props in any way. There are a lot of emotions, both good and bad that can get in the way. Personally, I'm biased as hell towards the '96 team. My heart wants to say they are the greatest team ever, but the '62 team was perhaps just a smidgen better. Only just a smidgen, though!

Nick 52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about one of Tom Brady's teams, Just saying they were good :)
If we're saying best team I've seen ........... then my vote would go to the 17-2 Steelers of 1975.

*However Jack Lambert reckons the best Steeler team of that era was the 1976 one, and they didn't even win the SB (because, unlike us this year, they couldn't overcome their injury crisis).

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About them nineties 'Boys, one has to give them extra credit for building those great teams. They aquired eight draft picks and five players from our neighbors in the NFC Central division the Vikings, for RB Hershal Walker. Walker was supposed to be Minnesota's "last spoke in the wheel" to the super bowl, LOL. Dallas drafted players and made trades with all those assets and assembled the talent teams they had back then.

The sad thing in Dallas is they should have kept it going for much longer but Coach Jimmy Johnson butted heads with their owner and left. I forget their owners name. The Cowboys won one more Lombardi a couple years later coached by Barry Switzer, but have done almost nothing since.

Nick 52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sad thing in Dallas is they should have kept it going for much longer but Coach Jimmy Johnson butted heads with their owner and left. I forget their owners name. The Cowboys won one more Lombardi a couple years later coached by Barry Switzer, but have done almost nothing since.

Stop .... please ..... you're breaking my heart

:icon_wink:

Members online