1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Greatest Team Ever

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackfanfromNJ, Feb 22, 2011.

1. PackfanfromNJ

PackfanfromNJ Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    Not sure if this has been discussed already since I am new here but, anybody agree with me that the 2010-2011 Packers should go down as greatest "team" ever. Understand true meaning of team also. 15 guys on IR=Super Bowl Champs. Nobody else in the NFL or history of NFL can do that, IMO.

2. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    it's been partially talked about, but the consensus greatest Packers team was Lombardi's '62 Team, they lost one game all season and dominated everyone else

3. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    The Pack for the most part didn't dominate and smash other teams during the regular season (exception Dallas, Minnesota and that felt good). Likewise the team was never dominated in any of it's six losses. Their strong resolution along the way with new players coming and going and the resulting success is truly satisfifying and a great reason to be proud of our Packers. The great coaching and preparation, hard work really paid off.

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,081
    No way in hell a 6th seed that won the SB is the greatest team ever. We barely made the playoffs. 62 was the best team of all time.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Nick 52

Nick 52 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    If we'd had everyone fit all season , we might have put together a run of games and results where this "greatest" tag could be assigned.
    We didn't and ended 10-6, therefore not the greatest. I suppose the undefeated '29 team, or the 1 loss '62 team are the greatest Packers.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    Think about this, the '62 team had not 1, or 3, or 5 Hall of Famer's...it had 11 and it should be 12.

Offense:
    Bart Starr-QB
    Paul Hornung -HB
    Jim Taylor-FB
    Jim Ringo -C
    Forrest Gregg- RT
    ( and should add Jerry Kramer- RG)

Defense:
    Henry Jordan- RT
    Willie Davis-LE
    Ray Nitschke- MLB
    Willie Wood - FS
    Herb Adderley - CB

add Lombardi to make 11, Kramer would make 12.

Think that was not the best Packer Team of all time?

• Like Like x 4
  7. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Clearly not the greatest team ever, but you may be able to argue that they are the team that may have overcome some of the greatest adversity; with that I might be able to agree.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    This is the correct answer.

I'd probably even take the 96 Packers over this team.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +110
    What about one of Tom Brady's teams, Just saying they were good :)

10. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    greatest all time? eh...MAYBE the one that lost the Super Bowl only because of their Regular season success and would probably have beat the Giants 3 out of 4 tries. If they would have won they would be at lest 1 or 2 on any list.

11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,081
    sorry, videotaping team walkthroughs disqualifies you from competing in the greatest team of all time conversation.

• Like Like x 2
  12. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +465
    Nah, while winning a Superbowl with all those injuries was impressive, it doesn't make it the best team ever. It doesn't even make them the best Packers team ever.

I'm a guessing the poster isn't old enough to remember the Lombardi years.

Unfortunately, I am!

• Like Like x 1
  13. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Greatest of All-Time

Ratings:
    +161
    I cannot see how they are the best team ever, but I wonder if they are better than the '96 team.

14. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    How about the 96 Packers? I believe the Packers were #1 in total offense and defense that year. Pretty hard to argue with being the best on both sides of the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164

Good point. They where the best on O and D that year.

When I think of the nineties Pack I get the urge to chant Reggie, Reggie.

• Like Like x 2
  16. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    That Reggie White, Sean Jones, Gilbert Brown, Santana Dotson front four was pretty awesome.

And please don't forget Andre "Bad Moon" Rison.

17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,081
    96 was good. Better than 2010 I would say. Mostly because of the STs. But 62 was hands down the best packers team.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,016
    '62 team is the best team I've ever personally seen, 1st in scoring and 1st in scoring defense.

The '29 team (12-0-1) was 2nd in scoring and 1st in scoring defense, allowing only 22 points in 13 games. That team may have been the greatest all-time. And it had the great Johnny Blood.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    In terms of the Pack, I'd go with the '62, '96 and yes, 2010 teams in that order. The '62 and '96 teams are very close. I'm a bit partial because Reggie was on the '96 team and I can still remember that SB win like it was yesterday. I never thought I could feel so overwhelmingly happy about a football team, ... until 2010. Can you imagine, maybe even 10, say 20 years down the road, people will be talking about the greatness of the 2010 team as we talk about the '62 and '96 teams now?

Outside of the Pack, and I hate myself for this, I'm going to have to walk backwards for a week, but I'm going to give a shout out to the Cowboys of the mid '90s. All of those SBs. You had Aikmen, Emmitt Smith (the only Cowboy I'll ever love), Micheal Irvin..... to only name a few. That was a super team, a team capable of winning multiple SBs in consecutive years. I bring them up because I think there is one team right now who mirrors what those Cowboys did. The 2010 Green Bay Packers.

It's really hard to name the greatest team ever. You can look at it from a purely technical point of view, all personal biased aside but that is hard to do. It was hard for me to give the Cowboys props in any way. There are a lot of emotions, both good and bad that can get in the way. Personally, I'm biased as hell towards the '96 team. My heart wants to say they are the greatest team ever, but the '62 team was perhaps just a smidgen better. Only just a smidgen, though!

20. Nick 52

Nick 52 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    If we're saying best team I've seen ........... then my vote would go to the 17-2 Steelers of 1975.

*However Jack Lambert reckons the best Steeler team of that era was the 1976 one, and they didn't even win the SB (because, unlike us this year, they couldn't overcome their injury crisis).

21. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    About them nineties 'Boys, one has to give them extra credit for building those great teams. They aquired eight draft picks and five players from our neighbors in the NFC Central division the Vikings, for RB Hershal Walker. Walker was supposed to be Minnesota's "last spoke in the wheel" to the super bowl, LOL. Dallas drafted players and made trades with all those assets and assembled the talent teams they had back then.

The sad thing in Dallas is they should have kept it going for much longer but Coach Jimmy Johnson butted heads with their owner and left. I forget their owners name. The Cowboys won one more Lombardi a couple years later coached by Barry Switzer, but have done almost nothing since.

22. Nick 52

Nick 52 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15

Stop .... please ..... you're breaking my heart

:icon_wink:

23. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    Don't worry, the Cowboys said they will win it all this coming season.

24. BigBayBlues

BigBayBlues Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    Greatest team ever...now way. Greatest story ever...now that I may be willing to stand behind.

• Like Like x 6
  25. PackfanfromNJ

PackfanfromNJ Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    Ill take the "greatest story ever" over "greatest team ever." I knew this would stir up some talk. Maybe greatest postseason run ever with the injuries?

• Like Like x 2