Greatest Receiver of All Time

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I saw this in another thread:

Forget Calvin Johnson, he'll be the second best WR of all-time.

Which had a reply of:

You think he is going to have a better Career than Jerry Rice? wow

Which got me to thinking, who are the best receivers of all time? I think I am certain who Ivo believes is #1 and he will make an appearance on my personal list. Just a quick note, when I consider the greatest players of all time I do not account for what would a player do in another era, it is simply an unfair comparison, athletes in the modern era are simply bigger, faster and stronger than ever before so you flat out cannot compare players outside of their era. So without further ado:

#1 Jerry Rice - 1549 catches, 22895 yards 197 TD's, 3 Superbowl titles

What can you really say about Jerry Rice? The guy was simply a machine. There simply has never been a receiver that has had the kind of career this man did, in fact, Jerry Rice was so damn good you can make an argument that he is not only the best receiver in NFL history, but that he is the best player in the history of the NFL. After saying all of this I actually had a hard time deciding between my #1 & #2. I gave Jerry the nod because his career body of work is unmatched the history of the NFL.

#2 Don Hutson - 488 catches, 7991yards, 99 Touchdowns, 3 NFL Championships.

I am only 41 years old and never had the pleasure of watching Don Hutson play but do consider myself a student of the game. Don Hutson is flat out the original modern day receiver. He created many of the modern day pass routes. He played in an era when teams did not throw the ball. Every modern day receiver is a direct result of what this man did on the field. 1 out of every 5 passes he caught was for touchdown compared to Jerry's 1 of every 7.8! Because of the era he played in he will more than likely hold many NFL receiving recrods that will likely never be broken all of which revolve around most season leading the league in things like receptions (8), receiving yards (7), & touchdowns (9).

Again, I found it really tough to make the decision here but because I honestly believe Jerry Rice is the greatest player in NFL history, he got the nod for the #1 receiver spot.

Because I don't want to make this a huge rambling post my final 8 will be listed without stats or comments.

3. Steve Largent

4. Randy Moss - okay I lied, I do have a comment, throw out all the like or dislike factors, there is no denying the Randy Moss is probably the greatest deep threat in the history of the NFL.

5. Lance Alworth

6. Chris Carter

7. Paul Warfield - okay, another comment, this guy averaged 20 yards per reception in his career!

8. Terrell Owens - again, love him or hate this guy had it all physically, if he had the brain and work ethic of Jerry Rice, he may have broken all of Jerry's records.

9. Don Maynard

10. Tim Brown

Honorable mention and could have arguments made for the top 10:

Marvin Harrison, Raymond Berry, James Lofton, Michael Irving

One last special mention: Sterling Sharpe, man it would have been nice to see him play a full career, he was a guy that was statistically ahead of pace of all of Jerry's records before his injury.

So anyone else have any thoughts, comments, criticisms?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear me.

Largent? I doubt he would be in my top 25. (let alone #3!)

Calvin Johnson already belongs on this list. Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard, Andre Reed, Art Monk, Irving Fryer, and Charlie Joiner off the top of my head would be at least in the honorable mention with Reed, Megatron and Bruce being in the top 10.

As far as the top 2 - the game changes and it is tough to judge the accomplishments of those 2. It will happen to Rice as well. In 80 years they may have 20 game seasons, a shorter field, and rules such that a WR cannot be touched for the first 20 yards. When your average WR has 2000 yards per season and 25 TDs, Rice will look downright pedestrian by comparison. When you look at how much a player dominated in his time, there is only Hutson as the greatest WR of all time. If you throw in Hutson also playing defense, it is all the more amazing. The fact that DBs were allowed to hold and everything but tackle WRs, it is tough to imagine.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear me.

Fair enough, but you completely lost me right off the bat. ;)

There is not a person in the know that would not have Largent in the top 25 and almost every list on the planet would have him in the top 10. I do understand #3 is probably a bit high, but just my personal thoughts.

Calvin Johnson does not belong in the top 10 yet, he would really need to start pumping out a lot more TD's.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1942 was Hutson's most dominant season. Here are the top 10 recievers that year:

rank player team age games GS catches yards ave TDs

Code:
1    Don Hutson*+    GNB    29    11    4    74    1211    16.4    17    73    6.7    110.1    0
2    Pop Ivy*    CRD    26    11    6    27    259    9.6    0    18    2.5    23.5    0
3    Dante Magnani*    RAM    25    11    10    24    276    11.5    4    67    2.2    25.1    0
4    Jim Benton    RAM    26    9    7    23    345    15.0    1    45    2.6    38.3    0
5    **** Todd*    WAS    28    11    1    23    328    14.3    4    53    2.1    29.8    0
6    Johnny Martin    CRD    26    11    5    22    312    14.2    0    69    2.0    28.4    0
7    Bob Masterson*    WAS    27    11    11    22    308    14.0    2    33    2.0    28.0    0
8    Andy Uram    GNB    27    11    3    21    420    20.0    4    64    1.9    38.2    0
9    Lou Brock    GNB    25    11    4    20    139    7.0    1    29    1.8    12.6    0
10    Al Coppage    CRD    26    11    5    20    196    9.8    0    32    1.8    17.8    0

Tough to follow, but here is the gist:

Hutson 1211 yards, next most - 402.
Hutson 17 TDs, next most - 4
Hutson 74 receptions, next most - 27

That is kicking some butt, right there.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is not a person in the know that would not have Largent in the top 25 and almost every list on the planet would have him in the top 10. I do understand #3 is probably a bit high, but just my personal thoughts.
I watched Largent and I was a fan, don't get me wrong. Not sure though there aren't a lot of other WRs that were better. Largent is 14th in career yardage and 26th in receptions. A quick google and he is listed in most top 10s. Those that he wasn't he was in the top 15. You were correct there - I was wrong.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When discussing the greatest of all time at different position its generally assumed that Jerry Rice is the best all time. Why is that? Why is the WR position considered the best based on numbers but no other position is? Emmitt Smith has a similar career as Jerry Rice, some great seasons and played good for a very long time which lead to them both being top dog statistically.

The criticism heaped on Smith tends to be the quality of the talent around him. But does Rice get that? No. Never.

Tony Gonzalez had, for the majority of his career, no QB to speak of throwing to him. Jerry Rice had Joe Montana and Steve Young. Tony is 2nd all time in receptions, but seems almost forgotten at times that his numbers are so high.

Its probably the toughest position to rank because so many things depend on the WR to be productive. Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald are two of the best of all time but their numbers arent what they could have been had they spent their whole career in GB catching passes from 2 HOF level QBs.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Fair enough, but you completely lost me right off the bat. ;)

Calvin Johnson does not belong in the top 10 yet, he would really need to start pumping out a lot more TD's.
As long as Calvin Johnson playing he will be in the top 10 in just a few years. This is his 7 year and he is putting up top numbers. A TD every 8.4, slightly better than average but not Moss like(6.3) and a little less than Rice (7.8). He's hitting 88 yards per game which would put him at the top in that category at the moment. 5 more years of production, he will have to be considered in the top 10.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that he isn't one of the GOATs in the NFL but for the Packers, it was a shame watching a loyal to the team Donald Driver spending all that time on the bench in his final season. He showed that he still had it and should have had more playing time.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Don Hutson has to be up there. He was king when the WR's got mugged on every play. And he did it for 10 years. BTW, his TD to catch ratio, 1 TD for every 4.9 receptions. And he played defense.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May not be a GOAT but wasn't Lynn Swann something to watch with his amazing catches back in the day?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

The Seahawks during most of his tenure were not very good. He certainly stands out, IMO, and would be in my top 25. Not top 3, though.

1. Jerry Rice
2. Don Hutson
3. Cris Carter

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson went down right now he wouldn't be a HOFer. No. Not top 10.

No love for my man lofton? Fitz?

This is the espn sports center now effect. It's what propelles people to rank megatron, AP, and revis as being top 5 all time at their position

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson went down right now he wouldn't be a HOFer. No. Not top 10.

The "if Calvin Johnson retired today" argument is a little questionable. He's the most dominate skill position player in the league right now. Assuming he doesn't, he'll have sure-fire HOF stats over the next 22 games. Let's compare career stats between HOF WR Michael Irvin and Calvin Johnson:

Irvin: 750 receptions; 11,904 yards; 15.9 yard/catch; 65 TD's
Johnson: 560 reception; 9,135 yards; 16.3 yards/catch; 66 TD's

Johnson already has more TD's than Irvin and will pass him in receptions and yards by the end of 2015.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "if Calvin Johnson retired today" argument is a little questionable. He's the most dominate skill position player in the league right now. Assuming he doesn't, he'll have sure-fire HOF stats over the next 22 games. Let's compare career stats between HOF WR Michael Irvin and Calvin Johnson:

Irvin: 750 receptions; 11,904 yards; 15.9 yard/catch; 65 TD's
Johnson: 560 reception; 9,135 yards; 16.3 yards/catch; 66 TD's

Johnson already has more TD's than Irvin and will pass him in receptions and yards by the end of 2015.

It's well known that the playmakers stats are a little light in comparisons to his peers in the hof for his era. But you're leaving out 3 very big credentials when talking about Irvin's HOF qualifications. Michael Irvin didn't go in just on stats, he went in on playoff success and his contribution to 3 championships.

Terrell Davis had arguably the greatest season a RB ever had, yet isn't in the hall. Sterling sharpe was as dominate as Jerry rice and doesn't get any hof consideration of merit.

Don't jump the gun on a players career bc he is great at the moment.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's well known that the playmakers stats are a little light in comparisons to his peers in the hof for his era. But you're leaving out 3 very big credentials when talking about Irvin's HOF qualifications. Michael Irvin didn't go in just on stats, he went in on playoff success and his contribution to 3 championships.

Terrell Davis had arguably the greatest season a RB ever had, yet isn't in the hall. Sterling sharpe was as dominate as Jerry rice and doesn't get any hof consideration of merit.

I wouldn't say he's great "just at the moment".

I agree he's young with no playoff success, but his numbers over just a handful of seasons are spectacular. If he continues his production for two more years, he's in the HOF with over 700 catches, 11,000 yards and 80 TD's. If he plays five more years he'll be in the discussion as the second greatest WR ever.

Sharpe and Davis had great seasons, but short careers because of injury.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sterling Sharpe just didn't do it long enough. 7 years is a little light. Same with Terrell - if he had stayed healthy he would have had an amazing HOF career.

Irvin, IMHO, is the most overrated WR in this discussion. He was a very good player but he drove me nuts. He pushed off on nearly every play.

Personally, if Megatron retires today for reasons out of his control, I think he still merits HOF consideration. He has been the best WR in the last couple of seasons and has to physically be the most gifted WR ever. That is something you should immortalize in Canton.

Ness

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta go with my boy Rice. At least in terms of resume. All the stars alligned for him. He was a great receiver that played with a great organization and played with two Hall of Fame quarterbacks for the majority of his career. Although even when he played with guys like Jeff Kemp, Elvis Grbac, or Steve Bono he still dominated. I do think Terrell Owens or Calvin Johnson might be the most talented receivers to play the game. Maybe Moss in there as well. But talent isn't everything. Rice's dedication was unmatched.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he's great "just at the moment".

I agree he's young with no playoff success, but his numbers over just a handful of seasons are spectacular. If he continues his production for two more years, he's in the HOF with over 700 catches, 11,000 yards and 80 TD's. If he plays five more years he'll be in the discussion as the second greatest WR ever.

Sharpe and Davis had great seasons, but short careers because of injury.

Not to nitpick, but if you are going to put quotations around something please don't add words to it or change it.

You don't think he is great? I don't see an issue with calling him great.

Discussion as 2nd greatest would vault him above rice or Hutson, that's a end of the career discussion.

Moss early in his career was on the same track. Was the most impressive WR anyone had seen. Fitzgerald was penciled in for top 5 all time not that long ago. Let's wait n see where he ends up before we jump to conclusions

Members online

Latest posts