1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Player in your NFL history?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Scout200, May 5, 2011.

1. Scout200

Scout200 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Several people have a favorite player.. but who do you think is the greatest player in your NFL history?

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    you can argue Don Hutson or Bart Starr. No one else comes close imo

• Like Like x 2
  3. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    This.

I would lean towards Starr, as he's the best QB ever, and QB is the most important position.

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I would say Matt Flynn but you cant compare anyone to him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +222
    What is "your" history? Sorry, but i wasn't alive when Hutson was catching passes. My "history" would be Jerry Rice, Walter Payton (sorry Emmitt), and Joe Montana.

6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Barry Sanders was always my favorite player to watch.

7. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    For me it's Reggie White. He's the reason I started watching football and he taught me to love it through his passion for the game. I'm drawn to such things. He's the reason I'm a football fan so I have to give it to him.

Bart Starr is up there with the all time best player, as well as Hutson. It's really hard to say who is the greatest player in NFL history. So much of it is subjective, there are few however who would fit the greatest ever criteria. For me, Starr, Hutson and yes, White (subjective choice).

8. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123

Refer to "Matt Flynn" thread.

9. Scout200

Scout200 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed! I'd have to say:
    1. Barry Sanders (He was just amazing and with no real QB or WR threats and a weak line for many of his seasons)
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Joe Montana (Greatest winner in my lifetime)
    4. Jerry Rice (best WR ever? Def in my lifetime)

10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I dont see how anyone could say the best player is someone who didnt win a title or at least didnt significantly contribute to a title.

Don Hutson and Jim Brown are the most dominate players in NFL history. Otto Graham, Bart Starr, and Joe Montana are the most winning QBs of all time. all have their arguments. I guess I get the Jerry Rice love but that doesnt mean I agree with it.

11. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    Um...let me think...how about a guy who scored a total of 176 points by himself? In 1960, the Heisman Trophy winner from Notre Dame turned in one of the most outstanding seasons in league history, considering teams only played 12 games per season at that time. His standard remained an NFL record until 2006 when San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson registered 31 touchdowns for 186 points in 16 contests. Hornung, who led the league in scoring three straight seasons from 1959-61, led Green Bay to the NFL championship game with 15 TDs, 41 extra points and 15 field goals (in 28 attempts).

How many points did LT have in 12 games? If he averaged 2 touchdowns per game, that would be 12 games x 12 pts per game = 144 points.

Hornung scored 146 points in 12 games in 1961, just to back it up.

12. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Canadian Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +166
    Barry Sanders is the greatest player I personally ever had the pleasure of watching (on TV). He did so much with so little his career is absolutely outstanding. He should be the career rushing leader and everyone knows it..

13. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +222
    Hornung had an advantage with kicking field goals - which he wasnt very good at. If Crosby or any NFL kicker went 15 for 28 in a season...well heck, they wouldn't finish the season.

14. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    You need to cut the Golden Boy some slack here. If Crosby was running the ball, throwing the option pass,blocking, going out for passes, selling hotdogs in the stands, for the 12-15 plays to get them into field goal range...he might be a bit tired too.

Not to mention that he was probably out until 3 the previous night, and performed with 2-3 gals...

15. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    He should get extra credit for "off field" performance. LOL (btw, I have a PH #5 throw-back jersey)

• Like Like x 1
  16. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    That's a separate statistical category.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Just curious but if Paul Hornung is the best player ever (IMO not even close) then how come it took him so long to get into the Hall of Fame?

18. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Well, Jerry Kramer isn't in the HoF altogether... And there's no doubt he deserves to be in it.

IMHO he's not the best player ever, but that's not because it took him so long to be enshrined...

19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    yes yes yes jerry kramer complete travesty. My violin is playing.

But if were talking best player ever I would think he would have to be a pretty quick induction. But hey if you want to argue for someone who the hall of fame committee took a look at as a finalist 12 times before they voted him in be my guest, I would love to see it.

20. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Vince Lombardi wasn't a first ballot HoF. Don Shula was. Chuck Noll was.
    I have no question who's the better coach.

21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Good Red Herring RS lol

22. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I'm not diverting attention. I've already said I don't think that Hornung is the best player ever.

What I'm saying is that when a player is voted to the HoF or if he's voted doesn't matter at all when discussing the best player ever, because their voting is entirely subjective and often times extremely biased.

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    your introducing a coachs place in the hall of fame with a players. Apples to oranges. Regardless, Lombardi went in 2 years after he last coached I believe.

Your welcome to disagree with the reasoning but I fail to understand how someone can be considered the best ever if it took a couple decades to get him into a group that honors the greats. I guess its an argument you make if your the worlds biggest C Carter fan.

24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    another one I shouldnt have left off is the biggest Free Agency acquisition in nfl history. Bringing Reggie to GB meant alot for the packers going forward in the nfl at the time.

25. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    First of all, not a C Carter fan. I do think he deserves to be in it, though, but the day I root for anyone that donned the puke purple will be the day pigs fly.

I don't agree with the reasoning for the reasons I mentioned, I don't think it's apples to oranges, I'm comparing coach to coach, as a way to demonstrate the voters' reasoning is often times flawed.

But I do get the point. The greatest player of all time should be much more consensual, and if it takes 12 years for a guy to get elected, there is too much discrepancy with him.

As I said, I don't agree with that, but I understand where you're coming from.