1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Defensive Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by lambeaulambo, Oct 1, 2013.

1. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +181
    Downslope? I really REALLY didn't see that at all. The Packers' D literally transformed to a formidable group the second the man stepped on the field in Green Bay. Thats not downslope, thats unleashing the beast!! The guy was unstoppable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Terre Haute Cheesehead

Terre Haute Cheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +191

That '74 original movie was an absolute CLASSIC!

Bodanski (Ray): What the hell was that? A dropkick? How much is that worth? 3 Points....for that? Bullsh*t! :roflmao:

3. Terre Haute Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +191
    What a star-studded group! Hard to find anyone on that list who may have taken a play "off!" If ever!:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,286
    I preferred playing defense to offense so I gravitated to defensive stars. Ray Nitschke was my favorite player during the Lombardi era but it was a close call with so many great players to choose from. Willie Davis was another favorite, I just read something a couple of weeks ago which said it's believed Davis had more than 100 sacks over 10 seasons (before sacks were an official stat). But Reggie White is the greatest defensive player I've ever seen.
    That’s not true. Nitschke’s marriage to Jackie changed his off-field demeanor and behavior. This is from “Nitschke” by Edward Gruver “Ray and Jackie were married on June 26, 1961… The change in Nitschke was dramatic. He gave up drinking entirely… ” He became just what you claim he didn't and many other sources, perhaps including some other posters here, will confirm this.

5. Bus Cook

Bus Cook You're never alone with a schizophrenic

Ratings:
    +226
    I'm sure he did, when he was older. Most of us do. If you think that the day he got married, he instantly transformed into a sweetheart, I'm sure there are "many other sources, perhaps including some other posters here, will refute this."

Anecdotal stories are great. Great stories. Ray was a rotten person in grade school, high school, college and the NFL. If you wish to believe that he changed on a dime to being nice in 1961, you may have a career as a death row attorney.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,085
    For what it's worth, the Packers' former Chief of Security -- Jerry Parins put out a book with detailed commentary on Ray Nitschke when he was younger. I don't remember what the name of the book was.

I met Nitschke once -- mid 70's right after he retired and he was a perfect gentleman. While I too was a big Nitschke fan even when his skills deteriorated with age, I have to go with Reggie White...he was in my lifetime, the most dominant defensive player I had ever seen play. I used to watch Iggles games (and I can't stand that organization or their fans) as a younger man for the sole purpose of watching him play the game.

7. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Yup. It is a classic. My favorite football movie. I should get it.

Gotta give Ray props for being willing to do this!

And check out this feature.
    They start talking about Ray at about 2:25 and it has some other tidbits about football.
    Too bad they had to include the crummy remake stuff in at the end.
    Before that it's all good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    http://doubleshouldertaps.blogspot.com/2011/07/life-changer-and-champions.html

9. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Your metaphors need a lot of work.
    I have no clue (Am I the only one?) by what you mean with having" a career as a death row attorney."
    In this case, the good old "I have a Brooklyn Bridge to sell you" or something like it is the one to use here.
    Death row attorneys do not work in all states, like Wisconsin where we don't have the death penalty, and they actually do get sentences reduced or even in some rare cases the death row inmate freed.
    It may be a depressing or stressful career but it may not be as bad as you are trying to make it out to be.
    Read what's posted below if you insist on trying to make up new metaphors.
    I'm not being picky. I'm making suggestions to help you be a better writer so that everyone can understand your points.

met·a·phor

noun \ˈme-tə-ˌfȯr also -fər\
    : a word or phrase for one thing that is used to refer to another thing in order to show or suggest that they are similar

: an object, activity, or idea that is used as a symbol of something else

(How is being a death row attorney similar to believing that Ray Nitshcke became a sweetheart?)
    Definition of METAPHOR
    : a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them (as in drowning in money); broadly : figurative language — compare simile
    : an object, activity, or idea treated as a metaphor : symbol2
    met·a·phor·ic or met·a·phor·i·cal adjective
    met·a·phor·i·cal·ly adverb
    [​IMG] See metaphor defined for English-language learners »
    See metaphor defined for kids »
    Examples of METAPHOR
    1. “He was drowning in paperwork” is a metaphor in which having to deal with a lot of paperwork is being compared to drowning in an ocean of water.
    2. Her poems include many imaginative metaphors.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Terre Haute Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +191

Thanks for the videos! My favorite football movie, too. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.:roflmao:
    I was sure fortunate (well, that makes me old now, though) to have gotten to see those great Packer players/teams
    on the tube from the '60's. Great memories. I'll never forget the ICE Bowl game! Someday I'll make it up to "Titletown!" It's on my bucket list:tup:

11. TJV

Ratings:
    +3,286
    Only if you were my first client.

Hey foolishly biased and uninformed about your favorite player is a hell of a way to present yourself on a football forum. Congrats.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Bus Cook

Ratings:
    +226
    I'm also foolishly biased and uninformed about my favorite rock star. I his 2001 book about touring that year, he described himself as clean and off smack. Little more than a year later, he was dead, from an overdose of...smack. I guess I'm not so naïve to believe just anything that a person says, just because its, you know, in their own words, whether it be Ray or Dee Dee.

13. TJV

Ratings:
    +3,286
    In addition to your blinding bias, you're having problems following along. What I quoted wasn't spoken or written by Nitschke, it was written by Edward Gruver in a book he wrote about Nitschke. Here are some more quotes, all from jsonline. Try to keep in mind none of the following was spoken by Nitschke – just about him.
    Written by Bud Lea.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/215012441.html
    Written by Martin Hendricks.http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/40250302.html
    Written by Bob McGinn. (BTW Bob Skoronski, the person quoted, played left tackle for Lombardi’s Packers.) http://www3.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/news/ray31498.stm
    – Written by Dick Schaap.
    http://www3.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/news/ray30998.stm

While Ray remained a fierce competitor both in games and practices throughout his football career, I thought Ray’s transformation from bitter orphan and trouble-maker to gentle giant off the field was well known. And I really don’t care about you – you’re either not a Packers fan or a bad one IMO. But there are posters here who weren’t alive during the Lombardi years and something as wrong as what you posted, “He couldn't turn it off. Butkus was a mean guy on the field but was a sweethart off the field. Ray was just bad 24/7...”, should be corrected at least for their benefit. And in the interest of, you know, the truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I'll take Ray in the 1960's era and Reggie in the 1990's era.

15. Bus Cook

Ratings:
    +226
    Sounds just like an AA meeting. A bunch of people, who will never be over their problem, talking about how many days they are over their problem. We can just agree to disagree. I don't think many people change all that much after they turn 20, you do. If it does happen, it takes years/decades. I know a lot of drinkers who have life changing experiences, 15 times. If Ray got soft when he turned 40, that wasn't really the point of my post as we were talking about defenders not golfers.

16. TJV

Ratings:
    +3,286
    In addition to not following along very well, your reading comprehension skills are also lacking - no surprise there. The consensus of those who knew Ray well is his wife (and the traffic accident that nearly killed her) caused him to change his life and his off-field demeanor. The changes referenced in the quotes I provided were clearly while he was still playing. But of course it’s no surprise you will ignore Skoronski’s admonition to not overlook that change in Ray and you’ll continue to believe what you want without any evidence to back it up. Just like posting the drafting of Casey Hayward was a whiff. Thank goodness I don’t know you personally, but there’s no question you post from a biased point of view and IMO what you posted about Nitschke is demonstrably false, just like what you posted about Hayward.

Unlike you I am willing to change my opinion based upon facts, so how about you provide some proof that until his playing career ended Ray, “… couldn't turn it off. Ray was just bad 24/7.” If he was still acting out as he did before he met Jackie and quit drinking, present some evidence – even anecdotal evidence – to support your opinion.

17. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
  18. Bus Cook

Ratings:
    +226
    My cousin's neighbor, who's son had a friend that once cleaned Ray's lodge buddy's gutters, was told by Ray's lodge buddy, at a bake sale, that only a tool would believe that Ray had changed from the mean SOB he really was. Sorry that my opinion of Ray differs from your's. Maybe as I get older, I will change and share your perception.

I'll wait for your reply.

19. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    I hope you're joking... Because Frank Zombo is a better defensive player than Eric Walden will EVER be!

20. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I'm not Joking! Walden was on the field for one of the Packers greatest defensive performances ever against SF in last years playoff game. He was a beast out there watching KP run his *** off. btw I would also like to include Charley Peprah in our list of greatest defensive performers.:)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +62
    I agree with the idea that Reggie played his best years with the Eagles. The years in Green Bay were exceptional, just not all that long. I saw the 60's Packers and the 90's Packers. Nitschke and Herb Adderley would be in a tight race along with Willie Davis and Henry Jordan for the best of the 60's era Packers. Much depends on the era they played in. Reggie played alongside some outstanding talent as well. Again, Lombardi's teams dominated the 60's while Holmgren's teams were championship-level only a couple of years. Reggie embarrassed himself his last season in Carolina.

22. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,383
    I suppose my avatar gives it away that I'm a little biased on this question.