Great players who had their career cut short

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wrote an article like this somewhere else recently.

Marcus Dupree
Billy Sims
Bo Jackson
Sterling Sharpe
Terrell Davis

Those guys topped the list for me because they didn't make the HOF, but when playing, they were better than great.
They were special.

God could not have molded a better specimen for the RB position than Dupree.
And Bo was special too.
Billy Sims was phenomenal too from the moment he went to that crappy Lions team.

We all should know about Sterling.
He was uncoverable. So strong. He was about keeping pace with Jerry Rice, despite not having Montana & Young throwing always, and Bill Walsh designing.

I still believe Terrell Davis should be in the Hall of Fame, so he makes my list.
Sayers is in even though his career was cut way short, as he should be.
But so should TD.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

O.J. Simpson.......well he wont be making anymore movies for a while :rolleyes:

I

No joke he was originally cast to play the terminator

Maybe he was just trying to get into "character" the night of the incident ??? If I were him, I`d be onto my defense team ASAP.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he was just trying to get into "character" the night of the incident ??? If I were him, I`d be onto my defense team ASAP.

So you gotta look at OJ's situation. He's paying $25,000 a month in alimony, got another man driving around in his car and ****ing his wife in a house he's still paying the mortgage on. Now I'm not saying he should have killed her... but I understand.- Chris rock

100% agree

I

Can anybody think of a QB in prison or should be in prison ? I have an idea for a film remake Mean Machine. They`ve got O.J. and probably Aaron Hernandez already. Just an idea of course.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anybody think of a QB in prison or should be in prison ? I have an idea for a film remake Mean Machine. They`ve got O.J. and probably Aaron Hernandez already. Just an idea of course.

Ryan Leaf and Art Schlichter.

btw the list of NFL players in prison or convicted of crimes is pretty long.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sayers is in even though his career was cut way short, as he should be.

The name that first popped into my mind when I saw the subject line was Gale Sayers.

What did this guy in his rookie season in a 14 game season .... 22 touchdowns... really only three "full" seasons when factoring out injury time and he's STILL in the Hall.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eddie Lee Ivery

http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/full-circle-lb37dbd-134795168.html

Ivery did it all at Georgia Tech, running the football, catching passes and returning kicks.
In 1978, he had one of the greatest games in college football history.

In the snow and with an upset stomach, Ivery rushed for 356 yards on 26 carries at Air Force.
On that slippery field, he ripped off touchdown jaunts of 80, 73 and 57 yards.

He became the Yellow Jackets' all-time leading rusher with more than 3,500 yards and was named an All-American his senior year. He was considered a top NFL prospect, and head coach Bart Starr and the Packers made him their first-round pick in the 1979 NFL draft.

Ivery lived up to his billing as a rookie, quickly grasping the pro game and fitting in with his Green Bay teammates.

He impressed the coaches with his work ethic and athletic ability, showcasing his talent in the preseason with several impressive runs.

In his first regular-season game against the Bears in Chicago, Ivery carried the ball three times for 24 yards. On his fourth carry, his season was over.

"I went to cut back against the grain and tore my ACL," Ivery said. "I never did get hit on that play. I played on artificial turf in college and never had a problem.

"It was so unfortunate to be injured like that against the Bears because I felt like I was off to such a good start with the Packers and being a rookie in the NFL."

Ivery rehabbed his knee and returned in 1980 to his old form, leading Green Bay with his career-high 831 yards in 202 carries (4.1-yard average). He rushed for three touchdowns and also finished second to James Lofton with 50 receptions for 481 yards and one score.

Then lightning struck twice.

In the 1981 season opener at Soldier Field, Ivery was having a solid game with 14 rushes for 72 yards.
In the third quarter, he burst into the Chicago secondary and was tackled by a diving defensive back, whose helmet smashed into Ivery's left knee.
Other ligaments were damaged, again ending his promising season.

Ivery went through the arduous rehabilitation process a second time and came back to lead the Packers to a 5-3-1 record in the strike-shortened season with 453 yards. He was rewarded with a new contract entering the 1983 season.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the kid's name was Tim Lewis. Wore #26 in the early 80's for GB. I think he got injured in his rookie or second year, basically broke his neck trying to take a WR's knees out on a tackle. This kid was the best corner I saw in Green Bay in the 80's

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts