Great list and analysis of free agents in 2014

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro Football Focus has created their 2014 PFF free agent tracker this year. While I like their grading system for comparing players I don't regularly see, I know some don't necessarily agree with their system. However, no matter what your opinion is on the site, this is a great list of free agents and should help in any discussion around who you'd like to see the Packers target this year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/07/2014-pff-free-agency-tracker/

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most important free agents are in my opinion Sam Shields, Evan Dietrich-Smith and Andrew Quarless. Shields is our best corner and should be kept. EDS is a solid center and has chemistry with the other lineman. Morever don't have other decent players that can play center, so he should be kept. Quarless is solid at the tight end position. Moreover it is questionable whether Finley will return.

We should also keep one or two defensive lineman. On the one hand Pickett is aging and declining, but on the other hand is very important for this defense. Raji has all the tools to be a great players, but fails to impress over and over again. And than there is Jolly. I would like to keep Raji for the right price, but otherwise I would be happy with the compensatory pick.

Would be nice to keep Jones, but he is aging, so only for the right pirce. Otherwise we should take the compensatory pick, use Boykin as 3rd WR and draft a young receiver.

I would also to keep Neal as third outside linebacker. Depth at the outside linebacker position is an issue and he is showing some upside as linebacker. Morever I would like Kuhn and Flynn as well. Kuhn is doing a solid job as fullback, and Flynn is a decent back-up quarterback. Neither of them should be too expensive to keep.

Also I kinda like to keep Starks. Starks is solid 2nd RB, although we do also have Franklin and Harris. Difficult decision.

And then there are those two restricted free agents, Lattimore and Jennings. Neither of them deserves to be paid much more than the league minimum, so I would not tender them.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be nice to keep Jones, but he is aging, so only for the right pirce. Otherwise we should take the compensatory pick, use Boykin as 3rd WR and draft a young receiver.
What about Dorsey?

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spin it how you want to, but Ted's strict mandate of "draft and develop" only, is becoming more tiresome with each passing year. I don't advocate giving any free agent Albert Haynesworth-type money. But not signing a few top to mid-level free agents every year is just ignoring a valuable resource to make the team better. Granted, we're the Packers, not the Cowboys. There's no Jerry Jones here with a fat wallet - I get that. But, Ron Wolf used free agency to his advantage in the 90's and Ted simply doesn't.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is 1st priority imo and has to be re-signed. The NFC North Boast some top flight wr's so our secondary needs to a strong and Shileds is our best cover guy. It would be nice to see another edge rusher added but it definitely won't be Orakpo especially if they bring Shields back for big money. I would like to see TT take a safety prolly 2nd or 3rd rd and see if Woodson wants to come back 1 more year. We will needs some help at wr if JJ leaves and we all know TT likes to draft wr's in the 2nd round. Marquis Lee from USC if still on the board would be a welcomed addition to this offense. If he decides to go OLB in the 1st round again Ryan Shazier is "small" at 230 for a 3-4 linebacker but the guy is tough as nails and makes plays. The linebacker core has to get faster imo.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spin it how you want to, but Ted's strict mandate of "draft and develop" only, is becoming more tiresome with each passing year. I don't advocate giving any free agent Albert Haynesworth-type money. But not signing a few top to mid-level free agents every year is just ignoring a valuable resource to make the team better. Granted, we're the Packers, not the Cowboys. There's no Jerry Jones here with a fat wallet - I get that. But, Ron Wolf used free agency to his advantage in the 90's and Ted simply doesn't.

Yep. He spent money on Charles Woodson and look how that paid off? in my opinion Woodson is probably the best db to ever play in Green Bay and he wasn't even drafted here. The Woodson signing was because we needed another corner and frankly this team has some major needs a several spots. You can sign some FA's and have more options with your draft picks.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodell ... that is the entire point! The only two free agents Ted has ever signed that were worth a damn, were Woodson and Pickett. Had he not signed them, no way they would have won XLV. He really needs to go outside the scope again and find players who can help us.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. He spent money on Charles Woodson and look how that paid off? in my opinion Woodson is probably the best db to ever play in Green Bay and he wasn't even drafted here. The Woodson signing was because we needed another corner and frankly this team has some major needs a several spots. You can sign some FA's and have more options with your draft picks.

Woodson was one of the best free agent acquisitions in football history, not many players like him are out there.

GB has a problem in that virtually every time it's shown interest in a player, Chris Canty, that player has used Packer interest as a negotiating tool with the team of his choice. Free Agents are a tricky breed when it comes to Green Bay, either you have to spend more money than anyone else and break the bank, Reggie White, or you have to gamble on someone no one wants, Charles Woodson. Even with the player no one wants youre still gambling with your money. TT will look around, see if there are any good veteran safeties out there, maybe an NT, but don't expect a big contributor for any team. Those guys almost always cost too much money with few exceptions.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expect TT to bring in a couple underachievers, guys who have never lived up to their ability. Wouldn't be surprised if Teddy brings in someone like Taylor Mays from Cincy, TT seems to like USC guys and Mays is a versatile Safety even if his instincts suck, physical, great range and big enough to play in the box when we use the nickel Defense on early downs.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Casey Hayward being out this whole year was a huge reason the defense had problems, but it wasn't the only reason. The pass rush is still non-existent and outside of Burnett being serviceable and Hawk having his greatest year ever - overall, this unit is not good. I wouldn't put it past the Jaguars being able to move the ball down the field on this defense. It really needs an overhaul.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expect TT to bring in a couple underachievers, guys who have never lived up to their ability. Wouldn't be surprised if Teddy brings in someone like Taylor Mays from Cincy, TT seems to like USC guys and Mays is a versatile Safety even if his instincts suck, physical, great range and big enough to play in the box when we use the nickel Defense on early downs.

Just what we need....more underachievers on defense. It's no wonder why they suck.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Casey Hayward being out this whole year was a huge reason the defense had problems, but it wasn't the only reason. The pass rush is still non-existent and outside of Burnett being serviceable and Hawk having his greatest year ever - overall, this unit is not good. I wouldn't put it past the Jaguars being able to move the ball down the field on this defense. It really needs an overhaul.

Same song and dance for three years now and counting. We all see it, so obviously TT and the staff sees it yet they havn't really fixed the problem...which is the defense. As good as Rodgers and the offense is they are not going to score 30 points every game and it would be nice to have a defense that can create some turnovers and maybe win some games for you. Everytime the offense scored in the playoff loss the defense allowed San Fran to march right down the field and answer. The pressure Rodgers must be under to score points has to be tremendous... he won't come out and say it but i'm sure he doesn't trust his defense so can we really fault the guy for sometimes trying to go for it all on a play? not really. If Rodgers had a good defense behind him i guarantee you this team would have at least 1 other SB appearance. The team that lost to Arizona after giving up a million yards was a talented bunch that could have won it all so was the 15-1 team that lost at home because neither team could play defense when it mattered. would be a shame to see a Qb of rodgers caliber go to one SB....a travesty!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just what we need....more underachievers on defense. It's no wonder why they suck.

There don't appear to be any Reggie White types or even Charles Woodson types, and lots of fans hated that acquisition back when it happened. Instead you're looking at solid/serviceable Vet to mix in with young talent and longshots. Get a workable player, a project or two and then let the best man win in camp. I think part of the problem is that it's tough to find safeties in Dom's ideal scheme, where the FS and SS are supposed to be interchangeable.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There don't appear to be any Reggie White types or even Charles Woodson types, and lots of fans hated that acquisition back when it happened. Instead you're looking at solid/serviceable Vet to mix in with young talent and longshots. Get a workable player, a project or two and then let the best man win in camp. I think part of the problem is that it's tough to find safeties in Dom's ideal scheme, where the FS and SS are supposed to be interchangeable.

If they really want to Micah Hyde seems to be a solution at least at FS. It's easy for pofessional athletes to gain/lose weight so he could easily get up to 205 and make the switch.Speed and playmaking ability just does not exist in one of the most important spots in the defense. Really makes you appreciate Nick Collins even more who was definitely a top 2 or 3 safety in the league.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers had a good defense behind him i guarantee you this team would have at least 1 other SB appearance. The team that lost to Arizona after giving up a million yards was a talented bunch that could have won it all so was the 15-1 team that lost at home because neither team could play defense when it mattered. would be a shame to see a Qb of rodgers caliber go to one SB....a travesty!

2011 team lost 2 games that season, both were on the offense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts