Grant waiting for a phone call..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I wonder whom the source is.. hmmm his agent getting nervous maybe?

Grant Waits For Phone Call
No news for Ryan Grant about a new contract from the Packers.

I would have thought the Packers would have signed him before their mandatory Mini Camp earlier this month.

Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy intentionally scheduled the required 3 - day work out late in the offseason for two reasons; so that as many players could participate and heal from injuries from last season, and to "bring the team together" prior to their six - week break before Training Camp begins July 28th.

Today a source close to Grant told me at best, the running back and his agent hope to receive a proposal from the team next week, sometime after the 4th of July holiday.

MARKET VALUE

The Grant camp does not want to talk about his value in the media.

They do feel he is worth more that the deal the Buccaneers just signed Earnest Graham to, 3 - years, $11 million, or what Justin Fargas got from the Raiders in February, 3 - years, $12 million. (NFL.com reporting today that former Detroit running back Kevin Jones is now in talks with Tampa Bay.)

Grant rushed for 956 yards, on 188 carries, averaging 5.1 yards per carry, scoring 8 TD's. He didn't really become the starter until October 29th, when he replaced DeShawn Wynn who was injured against the Broncos on Monday Night Football.

Grant's old Norte Dame teammate, Julius Jones, left the Cowboys for Seattle, where the Seahawks signed him to a 4 - year deal worth $12 million.

Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones gave Marion Barber (and agent Drew Rosenhaus) a huge deal, 7 - years, $45 million, and $16 million in guaranteed bonuses, worth $21 million the first three years. Jones got the deal done at the NFL owners meetings in Atlanta, just in time to beat a deadline that would have changed how the money is spread over the salary cap.

Barber's numbers, 975 yards on 204 carries, a 4.8 yard per carry average, and 10 touchdowns, are similar to Grant's, although Barber didn't get his first official start until the last game of the regular season. Still, Barber's deal ranks right up there with the likes of LaDainian Tomlinson, Edgerrin James, and Larry Johnson

Grant fumbled twice at the start of the "Snow Bowl" against the Seahawks January 12th, then came back to rush for 201 yards, setting a new franchise record for Packers playoff games. So he has a heart, and can play in the snow.

For now, he waits to see how Packers GM Ted Thompson, and the team's new contract negotiator Russ Ball (from New Orleans, replacing Andrew Brant) decide what his value is in the NFL market place, somewhere well above the $370,000 they can try to hold him to as an exclusive rights player for one more year, a tender Grant refuses to sign.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts