Grant might be cut and took a pay cut

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers face tough choice at halfback - JSOnline

Certainties seem to be Starks, Green, Kuhn; that leaves Grant vs. Nance

If Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson decides to keep just three halfbacks, he's going to have a tough call to make. Does he stick with what he knows he has or with what he hopes he has?

*SNIP*

That is the difference between Ryan Grant and Dimitri Nance, two backs as different as night is from day, but possibly competitors for one roster position.

*SNIP*

The coaches already know what Kuhn can do and they would not cut him after signing the fullback to a three-year, $7.5 million contract.

Fullback Quinn Johnson has a lot of ground to make up after reporting to camp overweight and might not make it.

That leaves Grant and Nance.

The obvious pick would be Grant, the two-time 1,200-yard rusher. But there are other issues to consider such as Grant's $5.65 million salary cap number.

If he is on the roster the first day of the season, he is guaranteed his $3.5 million base salary, which would lift his 2011 compensation thus far to around $4.75 million.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone here a few weeks back said that Grant would be cap casualty...I said no because he wasnt cut yet and probably wouldnt be cut..

Maybe he knew something we didnt?

Anyways, I think it would depend on how those other backs pass block...I think I read that holding onto the ball is #1 priority, and #2 is pass blocking

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainties seem to be Starks, Green, Kuhn; that leaves Grant vs. Nance

If Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson decides to keep just three halfbacks, he's going to have a tough call to make.
I'm confused...
There are 3 names as certainties, two possibles and Ted keeps three?
Was that a misprint?
Do they mean that Ted keeps four halfbacks?
Because it looks like that would be the total number.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Kuhn is considered a full back

I think it was an error on his part...Maybe shouldnt have listed Kuhn

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I heard on the radio this morning that there is a rumor of a surprise cut. Grant would qualify as a surprise but would it make any sense to waive Grant after paying him a bonus of $1.75M about a month ago? Not to me, and particularly not in order to play Nance, who showed little to nothing IMO last season.

Reaction score
It would be stupid to cut grant this year. He ran for a 1200 yards back to back while not fumbling the ball a lot. As soon as he misses a year because of injury he would be cut. If the packers did this it would hurt the team. I love James Starks but we wouldn't know how he would take the full load considering he is not that big of a running back.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Packers would cut Grant. Sure he may of gotten injured but as someone mentioned he doesn't drop the ball. Though I don't think our RB's had more than 3 fumbles last year, and that is an impressive stat. Let Nance and Starks develop another year before cutting Grant.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The logic is valid. Would it surprise if TT cut or traded Grant? No. They could do several things with that kind of added cap room. I think unless nance shows something above and beyond what he showed last year, reguardless of how close it is, you go with grant.

Reaction score
I heard since the Packers were deep at quarterback, instead of cutting a future hall of gamer in Graham Harrell, they will cut Rodgers. It makes sense since he costs more money per year and Matt Flynn looked good in camp and the preseason.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard since the Packers were deep at quarterback, instead of cutting a future hall of gamer in Graham Harrell, they will cut Rodgers. It makes sense since he costs more money per year and Matt Flynn looked good in camp and the preseason.

Bloody freakin hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :box:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Silverstein is one of the most respected beat writers in the country. Not really sure where all the hate is coming from. Do people read the article? because its well writen with a logic behind the statement. Just because he says something that doesnt flow with the common approach doesnt make it wrong. Its not "hey they might cut grant", its we only have room for so many RBs and the numbers dont add up, with one guy playing great in the preseason and several million cheaper than Grant who has been average in the preseason.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it is about pass blocking we should have gotten rid of B Jack... If they cut Grant that would really disappoint me.
DITTO !
Thank goodness Grant is one of Teddy's "finds" so I would think & hope he's more inclined to keep him.

Grant is very underrated. He's perfect for our offense.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is great...

Last year people demanded Ted to get a better running back now people dont want Grant cut..

Not saying people in this thread felt that way, but it an odd twist

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
It would be stupid to cut grant this year. He ran for a 1200 yards back to back while not fumbling the ball a lot. As soon as he misses a year because of injury he would be cut. If the packers did this it would hurt the team. I love James Starks but we wouldn't know how he would take the full load considering he is not that big of a running back.

I agree with you.

I think the idea is to utilize both Grant and Starks to make a double running threat. Once the pressure's off Rodgers with a running game for the season, things will be easier on our offense.

BTW I love your signature!

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Ryan Grant took $1 million pay cut earlier this month

MDS passed along the surprising news earlier Wednesday that Packers running back Ryan Grant is not a lock to make the team. *That probably won’t come as a huge shock to Grant. Adam Caplan of TheSidelineview.com reports that Grant took a $1 million pay cut earlier this month. *His base salary was cut from $3.5…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Reaction score
This is great...

Last year people demanded Ted to get a better running back now people dont want Grant cut..

Not saying people in this thread felt that way, but it an odd twist

Ya.. I can't speak for anybody else, but personally, I have always loved Grant ever since he took over as starter. I believe he still has a couple 1000 yard seasons left in him.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So this doesnt get lost...

Think he got the not a lock from Silverstein

MDS passed along the surprising news earlier Wednesday that Packers running back Ryan Grant is not a lock to make the team. *That probably won’t come as a huge shock to Grant. Adam Caplan of TheSidelineview.com reports that Grant took a $1 million pay cut earlier this month. *His base salary was cut from $3.5…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Source: ProFootballTalk.com

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Ted always has four or five backs on the roster. Unless they are seeing something in practice that makes them think he is not what he was before the injury why would you cut him. He is a proven 1200 yard a season back. Starks has shown alot of promise but I wouldn't bet the farm on him.

Last I heard the Pack didn't have an Salary cap issues.

Jebsta16

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya.. I can't speak for anybody else, but personally, I have always loved Grant ever since he took over as starter. I believe he still has a couple 1000 yard seasons left in him.

He has been my favorite Packer since he took over. This would be very disappointing to see. I think Starks is going to be a better back than Grant but he needs some more time to develop. I would give Grant the chance to prove himself this year and probably let him go next year. I think he is going to be 30 this year or 31?

I think what is going on here is we missed training camp and the other backs are getting more time to get work in. I don't think there is a chance Grant gets cut or is #2 on the depth chart but I think they want to see what they have in the other guys because one is the odd man out. They will not go in with 4 rb's. I like the direction our depth at running back is going though. Green looks like he lacks explosion after the hand off but he looked amazing on that screen pass. Starks is a beast and is going to be talked about amongst the best in the league when he finally takes over, make my words.

Latest posts