1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Grammer and Punctuation

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by mattresell, Mar 28, 2006.

1. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    By no means do I want to sound whiny or become the Packer Forum Grammer Police, but I feel like we get quite a bit of posts that are near impossible to read because of a lack of punctuation or simply third grade level grammer.

The occasional misspelled word in nothing to fret over. Neither is the improper use of a comma. But I just read, or tried read, a 100 word post without a single period.

I know this isn't English 101, but I'd like to ask everyone to try to make their posts as easy to read as possible.

Am I alone on this or does this problem annoy others on the board?

2. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed that too. It is very hard to read something when punctuation is not used, or it is used incorrectly. Sometimes their our wrds that r ocasinally mspelt. I know. I am being a smart alec.

3. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i use punctuation but do not capitalize - hope that's ok cause i'm not changing!! :)

4. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking of grammar....it's not spelled with an E. ;)

5. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    And punctuation should not be written with a capital p. :p

6. Miskito

Miskito Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Shouldn't that be "...IS nothing to fret over."?

7. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but let's not fret over it.

8. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    mattresell,

I agree 100% and even posted in an earlier thread about it. I know it's petty to some, and maybe rightfully so, but it gets difficult to read.

9. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Where is that two-word-post-thread? :wink: :lol:
    But you're absolutely right, mattresell. If you, as people with English as mother- tongue, yet have problems with such posts, what can I say or do? :shock: :-?

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    HEY!!! What's my GRAMMER got to do with it!?!? She was a NICE lady!!! 8) :lol:

Enee weigh, eye kan see whut ewe meen. It KAN get a littel diffekult ta reed theengs when it ain't writ rite.

Now......on a more serious note.........some people might not be able to spell well, or know how to properly phrase something. Do we want these people NOT to post, because it might make us use our own skills a little more to figure out what they intended? If it's because of laziness, then they should be scolded. If it's because it's the best they can do, I surely don't want to be the one to push someone out of here because I was lucky enough that I had a Mother that MADE me read out loud to her. My Grandmother couldn't read or write. My Mom was the one that taught her how to write her own name.
    I'm sure not going to be the one to judge.

11. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No. That's not what I'm implying, nor do I believe anyone else is implying that either. Nobody cares if you end a sentence with a preposition, use who instead of whom, or forget the "i" before "e" except after "c" rule.

I just think it would be nice if people would use periods at the end of sentences.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree.........run on sentences can be difficult to understand. Sometimes i don't read a post if it's that way. I just go on to the next one.

13. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I use puncuation now yay.

14. ahaug82

ahaug82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It should read like this: I use punctuation now, yay!

But I'm not one for nitpicking. :p

15. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    punctuation is a key component to anybody's text because it tells people clearly when to end a thought or take a breath i mean come on would you really want to read one gigantic sentence without being able to reflect upon that persons perspective or ideas at least a few times during the actual post c'mon guys get it together for the sake of your fellow posters it's more of a convenience issue than anything i've seen posts about 2 paragraphs long without a period let alone a comma for god's sake it basically tells me to skip that persons viewpoint entirely so i understand completely brother matt exclamation point

16. BACKIN-PACKIN

BACKIN-PACKIN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Mattresell, you make a good point; however, it's not only the misappropriation of the period that makes for difficult following, but run-on sentences completely elude understanding as well; and some posts seem to be an experiment in hieroglyphics rather than an expression of some Packer interest!

17. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

18. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You guys are absolutely too funny. I enjoy your posts very much. I had to use the words very much because "really much" is incorrect.

19. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ****Edit by bavpb****
    , , , .
    , , , , ?
    , , !
    , , , , , .