Graham Mertz

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Graham definitely did not disappoint tonight. Of course it was against Illinois, but I think there is reason to optimistic that the Badgers have finally actually found a QB that won't just be a game manager. At one point he was 17-17 (tying a school record) on pass attempts. He seemed to not just have a good touch on his passes, but the composure to pull it down and scamper for as many yards as he could get.

One has to wonder if Jack Coan will ever see another start as a Badger?

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how long Jack is out for?? I

This kid needs to get few more games under his helmet. But for one game he is as good as advertised.

But lets not get ahead of this.. People were already claiming Packers #1 seed after 1 game

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure how long Jack is out for?? I

This kid needs to get few more games under his helmet. But for one game he is as good as advertised.

But lets not get ahead of this.. People were already claiming Packers #1 seed after 1 game

Agreed on jumping too far ahead, but its nice to see that kind of a first start from a redshirt freshman QB. The postgame guys were singing his praises for sure. They seemed to be focusing more on results, which is fine, because those he had. However, some of those passes he completed early on were threaded right into the spot where they had to be, that was more impressive to me. What we lost with Jonathan Taylor declaring and now playing for the Colts, we may have gained back in Mertz.

I also can hardly wait to see the new 4 Star Freshman running back from none other than Jersey, Jalen Berger. From what I have read, this could be the next Jonathan Taylor. Guessing that Paul Chryst is going to see how Watson, Groshek and Guerendo do, with the goal to redshirt Berger.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Graham definitely did not disappoint tonight. Of course it was against Illinois, but I think there is reason to optimistic that the Badgers have finally actually found a QB that won't just be a game manager. At one point he was 17-17 (tying a school record) on pass attempts. He seemed to not just have a good touch on his passes, but the composure to pull it down and scamper for as many yards as he could get.

One has to wonder if Jack Coan will ever see another start as a Badger?
Talking heads said he missed his 1st pass then went 9/9 last season. For his career he is now 32-34 with 5TD.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
didn't get to see any of it. I'm glad they're playing again, but it would be nice to to just flip on the TV to watch state sponsored sports in the state of WI.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess there is a freshman RB in the wings that could be pretty good. Isn't it just like WI to finally have a stud QB but nobody outside of a TE to throw too?

Jalen Berger is the RB (see below). Danny Davis and Kendric Pryor, along with that TE, Jake Ferguson I think are a pretty good trio. Ferguson is only a Junior and I think will be playing on Sundays. They also have a pair of 6' 2" Red-shirt Sophmores, A.J. Abbott and Taj Mustapha that I believe will be the future stars for Mertz.

I also can hardly wait to see the new 4 Star Freshman running back from none other than Jersey, Jalen Berger. From what I have read, this could be the next Jonathan Taylor. Guessing that Paul Chryst is going to see how Watson, Groshek and Guerendo do, with the goal to redshirt Berger.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Isnt it odd to have leading rusher only have 70 yards?

For the Badgers....very. Although, sometimes Big10 teams have been able to shut down the Badger run game. Illiniois looked really big on the DL and their LB Tarique Barnes is a stud, he reminded me of Tampa Bay's LeVonte with his speed and power.

Loosing Jonathan Taylor from the run game hurts, but I am hopeful that we see Watson play better. Guerendo I am not so sure of and they do have another back, Julius Davis that didn't appear to play last night that they like. Ultimately, Chryst is going to have to play the "next Jonathan Taylor", true Freshman Jalen Berger, but I think he will be saving him for limited games and try to maintain his redshirt.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Talking heads said he missed his 1st pass then went 9/9 last season. For his career he is now 32-34 with 5TD.

Man, I'm old ... I saw your "5 TD" above and originally read it "STD" - I was thinking "man, this kid needs protection and I'm not talking about offensive tackles" - time for an eye exam.

Red-shirting the freshman might not be the solution because I don't think Illinois' d-line is really that bad. Yeah, lead rusher with 70 yards is nothing to stand on your head and crap nickles over, but I do believe that Lovie's d-line had something to say about that too. I saw mention that they even went out re-recruiting players from schools who shut down their season... to my thinking, it's going to take time for the Badgers' O-line to gel - from what I saw of the game, I wasn't too impressed with the "fat uglies" - it'll come.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mertz's backup Chase Wolf also tested positive yesterday, Badgers could be playing their 4th string QB, if both Mertz and Wolf's second tests confirm the first.

Anyone out there have any eligibility left?

Have to wonder if 2 players tested positive, how many more will go down this week?

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be cool to look at a third of the season with a 4th stringer running the show.

Members online

Latest posts