Grady wants a new contract or

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Is this guy ever happy? And if they did this, why sign a three year deal with them?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedition/2007/03/28/sptjackson0328a.html

Falcons defensive tackle Grady Jackson, who started all 16 games last season, is suing the franchise for invasion of privacy and defamation over the alleged released of his medical records, the player's attorney said Tuesday.

"It [the lawsuit] was just filed [Monday], and it was served on the Atlanta Falcons Football Club [Tuesday]," said Eric Farber, Jackson's San Francisco-based attorney.

A Falcons spokesman acknowledged the team had been served with the lawsuit, adding there were other motives behind the move.

"We are disappointed that Grady Jackson's agent has taken this action," Falcons vice president of football communications Reggie Roberts said by telephone, reading from a prepared statement. "We believe that this is a continuing attempt by the agent to gain a new contract for his client."

Jackson's agent, Angelo Wright, of Hayward, Calif., denied that he is driving the lawsuit.

"This is Grady Jackson's lawsuit, and it's time that they recognize that," Wright said. "Again they continue to insult Grady Jackson and that he can think as a grown man with a brain. They have fostered a climate of personal disrespect to Grady Jackson both as a football player and a man."

While Jackson was a free agent last season, reports surfaced in April that he had heart issues and had flunked a team's physical exam. The Falcons later signed Jackson, who is listed at 350 pounds and is one of the largest players in the league, in August.

"Essentially the Atlanta Falcons released private and personal health information to the press without authority when Grady Jackson was a free agent and not under contract," Farber said.

Rich McKay, the Falcons president and general manager, was in Arizona for the NFL owners meeting and did not make himself available for an interview.

In August, Jackson, a 10-year veteran, was signed to a three-year contract and received a $300,000 signing bonus from the Falcons. He played last season for the league veteran minimum salary of $710,000. He's set to make base salaries of $1.5 million in 2007 and 2008.

Jackson would like to have his contract redone to be more in line with other veteran starting defensive tackles. The average pay for the top five players at that position is $6.8 million.

Farber is lead counsel in the case and is working with Atlanta firm Cozen O'Conner and its managing partner Samuel Solomon Woodhouse III.

Jackson lawyers' contend the Falcons released the medical information and hurt his value in the free-agency market.

It is rare for a player under contract to file a suit against his current team. Usually, players have contract or injury grievances that are dealt with under the league's collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Association.

With Jackson anchoring the middle of the defense, the Falcons improved from 26th (128.9 yards per game) against the run in 2005 to ninth (103.6) in the league last season. He was the only projected starter on the defensive line to play in all 16 games as Rod Coleman, John Abraham and Patrick Kerney all suffered injuries.

Kerney, a defensive end, recently signed a six-year, 39.5-million free agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

Jackson, who finished with 33 tackles and two passes defensed, turned down several requests for an interview. The Falcons started their voluntary offseason conditioning program earlier this month, and Jackson has been a no-show.

The Falcons, attempting to reinforce the defensive tackle position, claimed Anthony Bryant off waivers from Detroit. He played in eight games over two years, with three starts. They also had Chicago's Ian Scott, a free agent, in for a visit, but negotiations have cooled

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm torn. In Grady's defense, he is underpaid, and if these allegations are true, it would be unfair. On the other hand, he didn't need to sign a 3 year deal.

Either way, I still miss him and would gladly have him on my team for 2-3 million/yr. Say what you want about him as a person, but the guy can play.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm so glad the Packers decided to go with Pickett than Grady Jackson. Pickett had about twice as many tackles in the same amount of games and the Packers run Defense improve a lot last year. From last in the NFC to 6th.

Grady is a good player but he should not of signed the 3 year deal. He should of signed a one year deal and tested the market. He'll likely get released now as I can see Petrino sending the team an early message.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the improvement in run D had a lot to do with Pickett or other factors. Last year we were 13th against the run in the NFL, the year before we were 23rd. We allowed 4.1 ypc this year, and 4.0 the year before.

The statitical jump in total yards allowed is due mostly to the fact that two years ago we had a 4-12 record and teams were just running out the clock in a lot of games. Also this year we played a weaker schedule and we decided to finally replace KGB on run downs with Cullen Jenkins towards the end of the year. That had a positive impact on the defense as well.

I think that Pickett has played fairly well, but Grady would have been just as good IMO. Also, I don't give much weight to the number of tackles because Grady's main impact is eating up blockers and forcing them to run in other holes.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the improvement in run D had a lot to do with Pickett or other factors. Last year we were 13th against the run in the NFL, the year before we were 23rd. We allowed 4.1 ypc this year, and 4.0 the year before.

The statitical jump in total yards allowed is due mostly to the fact that two years ago we had a 4-12 record and teams were just running out the clock in a lot of games. Also this year we played a weaker schedule and we decided to finally replace KGB on run downs with Cullen Jenkins towards the end of the year. That had a positive impact on the defense as well.

I think that Pickett has played fairly well, but Grady would have been just as good IMO. Also, I don't give much weight to the number of tackles because Grady's main impact is eating up blockers and forcing them to run in other holes.

For Pickett to get twice as many tackles last year and being 5 or 6 years younger makes his value far higher than Grady. 60+ tackles is a solid season for a Nose Tackle. 33 tackles which Grady had is an okay season.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hoos said:

For Pickett to get twice as many tackles last year and being 5 or 6 years younger makes his value far higher than Grady. 60+ tackles is a solid season for a Nose Tackle. 33 tackles which Grady had is an okay season.

I agree that age is definitely a factor in comparing the two value wise for the long-term. My only point is that I don't think replacing Grady with Pickett improved the run D that much. I think it was other factors that account for this statistical jump. I can also remember one game last year where Pickett was stood straight up on a goal line stand. I can't ever remember that happening to Grady.

Members online

Latest posts