Grades for all the main OL entering BYE Week 2021

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MOST of us have recognized the massive hurdle this OL group has had to overcome when it comes to injuries to three starters, two pro-bowl level guys at that.

Just was curious how PFF grades them all out so far at this point now 12 games deep (some haven't played 12 mind you) but here we go in order of grades:

Elgton Jenkins - 82.3
Billy Turner - 65.7
Jon Runyon - 61.2
Josh Myers - 60.9
Yosh Nijman - 58.6
Lucas Patrick - 52.7
Royce Newman - 50.3

Reaction score
Good stuff Tyni.
When we consider that we’re down to just 1 returning position (RT) from our 2020 unit? These guys (and coaches) have countered the injuries remarkably. I know those ratings are not too good, but as a unit they’ve seemed to have survived the onslaught of injuries.
Hopefully we start the final season straightway by getting David or Josh back over the next couple of contests.

I’m most impressed by Nijman, for our #3 LT, I’m totally comfortable with him out there. He’s a really big dude with just incredible athleticism. Yosh makes up for technical deficiencies with heart n soul and athletic ability. Think about this, Yosh was a clear UDFA grade out of VA Tech by many analysts, but here he is! He’s really not that bad and best yet he earned his way up the ladder as a Packer. Billy Turner just raves about the guy, seeing him fight out there is inspiring.

9-3 baby. 9-3!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot remember my log in to access their grade breakdowns like grades in pass pro and grades in rush block, if I get back in and can will share

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newman was kind of the camp darling but has certainly struggled at times. He's no doormat but it would be great to find an upgrade. I heard talk on one of the podcasts of possibly moving Nijman to guard once Bahktiari is ready to play....assuming that the Packers try to go with their best 5 guys. IDK how much Yosh has played at guard but I would never count out the possibility.

If we can get Myers back and Bahktiari, our run blocking will undoubtably improve as well. I've been very happy overall. Rodgers isn't running for his life, but LeFleur is also calling plays that get the ball out of Aaron's hands quickly. The running game is certainly helping along with strong run blocking by both of our TEs, Lazard, etc. It's been a good group effort.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newman was kind of the camp darling but has certainly struggled at times. He's no doormat but it would be great to find an upgrade. I heard talk on one of the podcasts of possibly moving Nijman to guard once Bahktiari is ready to play....assuming that the Packers try to go with their best 5 guys. IDK how much Yosh has played at guard but I would never count out the possibility.

If we can get Myers back and Bahktiari, our run blocking will undoubtably improve as well. I've been very happy overall. Rodgers isn't running for his life, but LeFleur is also calling plays that get the ball out of Aaron's hands quickly. The running game is certainly helping along with strong run blocking by both of our TEs, Lazard, etc.
In that scenario, I would think Nijman would be moved to RT and Turner moved inside to RG. He has alot of experience at the position.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t believe Yosh has done much inside work at all. If you’re gonna see Newman get pushed it will be because Runyon or Patrick is there instead because of Bahk and Myers back

Reaction score
In that scenario, I would think Nijman would be moved to RT and Turner moved inside to RG. He has alot of experience at the position.
I was going to mention that. At VA Tech he played mainly LT, but filled in at RT also. Not that he couldn’t play Guard, but he’s ideal at OT (6’7”X324lb). Now that Elgton is lost, I’d keep Yosh primed as a swing Tackle in the event someone goes down on either side. We’ve got more viable options at Guard if Newman continues to struggle. It’s tough because it takes awhile to get fluent with a group and you’d hate to yank Royce as he’s maturing into that role. That’s my guess anyway as to why they are sticking with Royce. We see him for 70 snaps, but the Coaches see him all week.

Pre-draft I feel they pretty much hit on exactly what we’re seeing from Royce at OG today. He’s got good upside that hasn’t been fully tapped potential. Seems they are getting him acclimated real time rather than waiting a year

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The backups, rookies, and coaches deserve some credit here, but Rodgers and his excellence in the quick game has a lot to do with making these guys look good.
Agreed… look at the KC game. Say what you want about Rodgers… no way the Chiefs would have gotten away with blitzing every down if Rodgers had played.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to get an extended look at Nijman at RT so I'm in favor of sliding Turner inside if/when Bakhtiari returns full-time. Yosh is an ERFA in '22 and Turner counts almost $9Mil against the cap so Nijman at RT might be a '22 move to save cap space. I like Turner, just not so much at $9Mil.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to get an extended look at Nijman at RT so I'm in favor of sliding Turner inside if/when Bakhtiari returns full-time. Yosh is an ERFA in '22 and Turner counts almost $9Mil against the cap so Nijman at RT might be a '22 move to save cap space. I like Turner, just not so much at $9Mil.
Agreed on Turner. $9 mill is way too much. It is possible Turner will be restructured, just a guess though. If they see enough improvement in the two guards, and at center, it's even possible that Jenkins could move to RT. Lots of variables and possibilities at this point. Lots of questions as to who they do and don't keep. Ball is going to be a busy bean-counter between now and the time the final decisions are made.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The backups, rookies, and coaches deserve some credit here, but Rodgers and his excellence in the quick game has a lot to do with making these guys look good.
Wonder what the offense would have looked like with this approach when everyone was healthy/available.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Have to give some of these guys credit, man. Yosh was incredible Sunday and Runyon/Patrick have done what was needed of them. Unfortunate to lose Jenkins for the season, but hopefully 69 and Meyers come back for the playoff stretch.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not like to see Turner move at all because I think he is a liability anywhere on the line except at R tackle. Don't mess with it. Look what happened last year. We are in it for this year. Not for the future.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wonder what the offense would have looked like with this approach when everyone was healthy/available.

The unit would have most likely looked like last year when they led the league in scoring.

I would not like to see Turner move at all because I think he is a liability anywhere on the line except at R tackle. Don't mess with it. Look what happened last year. We are in it for this year. Not for the future.

There's a huge difference between moving from right tackle to left tackle compared to having him play at right guard though.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe they experimented with moving Turner to left tackle in an emergency, and decided against it. He apparently had problem with the footwork being the polar opposite of what it is on the right. To a lot of linemen, the footwork in a designated position is what they really know, and the rest is something they'd have to learn. It doesn't always work out. In fact, I think it fails more than it works, if we talking about playing at a high level.

That's why Elgton Jenkins is a real football freak. The guy is pretty much able to be plugged into any one of the five offensive line positions and play well. His specialty allows the Packers to use more flexibility in their line choices. When he's injured, it's a real blow to the offense.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe they experimented with moving Turner to left tackle in an emergency, and decided against it. He apparently had problem with the footwork being the polar opposite of what it is on the right. To a lot of linemen, the footwork in a designated position is what they really know, and the rest is something they'd have to learn. It doesn't always work out. In fact, I think it fails more than it works, if we talking about playing at a high level.

That's why Elgton Jenkins is a real football freak. The guy is pretty much able to be plugged into any one of the five offensive line positions and play well. His specialty allows the Packers to use more flexibility in their line choices. When he's injured, it's a real blow to the offense.

Jenkins is our biggest cog in the OL IMO. Yes I officially believe his loss is bigger than Bakh, and I never thought I'd ever say that about anyone.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a huge difference between moving from right tackle to left tackle compared to having him play at right guard though.
Yes, of course. But he did not do good at guard where they started him out at. He did not run block well. He is better out there on an island...on the right side. I have no interest in seeing if Nijman can play at R tackle. I can wait.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, of course. But he did not do good at guard where they started him out at. He did not run block well. He is better out there on an island...on the right side. I have no interest in seeing if Nijman can play at R tackle. I can wait.
There's a misconception that a guy who plays tackle can slip in to the guard position and play there as well. I've seen a lot of them fail. In Turner's case, he was a right guard, so he could actually be a candidate there, if it was deemed the best option.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a misconception that a guy who plays tackle can slip in to the guard position and play there as well. I've seen a lot of them fail. In Turner's case, he was a right guard, so he could actually be a candidate there, if it was deemed the best option.
OK, one last time. He did not play well at guard for us. And nobody was high on him at guard when we took him from Denver. We got lucky that he can play R tackle. Leave him there.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There is a reason he was a right guard, and is no longer.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is pushing for Turner to be a guard. But, like it or not, with injuries, and the Covid potential, he could end up our best option at that position down the road, for a game or two. It's all about what the Packers coaching staff thinks is best, not based on our opinions. They couldn't care less about our thoughts.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is pushing for Turner to be a guard. But, like it or not, with injuries, and the Covid potential, he could end up our best option at that position down the road, for a game or two. It's all about what the Packers coaching staff thinks is best, not based on our opinions. They couldn't care less about our thoughts.

Well sure, with enough injuries any option is there. However, Ben Braden I bet is on the list of guard depth before Turner's at this point. If Turner is healthy his at RT, unless massive amount injuries would force him to LT.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe they experimented with moving Turner to left tackle in an emergency, and decided against it.

Turner started several games at left tackle last season and actually did a decent job aside of the NFCCG against the Bucs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of keeping Turner at right tackle. If the Packers want to move him to another spot I would prefer lining him up at right guard over left tackle though.

Members online

Latest posts