Grade TT for '06 GB Packer "rebuilding" year...

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
87% B+

500% for a team filled with no names and a rookie head coach is great!

i agree with you except for the part of no names ... come on ... what about DRIVER ... HARRIS ... WOODSON ... BRETT ... HAWK (EVEN THO HIS A ROOKIE) BARNETT ... KAMPMAN

gbpackers0065

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gbpackers0065 said:
87% B+

500% for a team filled with no names and a rookie head coach is great!

i agree with you except for the part of no names ... come on ... what about DRIVER ... HARRIS ... WOODSON ... BRETT ... HAWK (EVEN THO HIS A ROOKIE) BARNETT ... KAMPMAN

jennings, spitz, colledge, hodge, dendy, manuel, jenkins, r. martin, poppinga

i agree that we had some big-names but, we had more no-names

Edub

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i give him a D+ packers keep losing their good players and they are not "rebuilding" like they should be. Favre needs, or should I say "needed" an impact WR and what did he get...****. besides DD. I think that will be a big part as to whether he stays or not if TT can get him some talent. TT needs to cut the ******** and start picking up some talent. they also need a TE bad.. they have 3 garbage TE taking up roster and cap space.

Reaction score
Overall, I think he gets a B+.

DRAFTING: A

- He got a stud LB, got a solid WR who came in right away and made plays, got a solid safety that has so much potential in Culver, but most importantly (and I think this can't be stressed enough) he got 3 O-LINEMEN that have a really bright future and each of which showed they belong in this league. He basically fixed a disaster of an o-line in one off-season.

FREE AGENCY: B+

- I think too many people look at the Manuel disaster. It is a really bad signing, only made worse by it being a 5 year contract. However this man got Woodson for 3 years at 18 million dollars (and average cap hit of 4 million each of the next 2 years - a steal for his play). He signed Pickett, and while Pickett has been good, he hasn't done really all that much else. He can stop the run, but I feel this signing didn't have the impact TT wanted it to have, none-the-less we did get a run stuffer.

- The biggest are overlooked is that TT let Longwell go, couldn't get Vinateri, but ended up with a solid guy in Rayner. Took a risk because he saw something, and Rayner has been very solid in his first year. Also got a great punter in Ryan.

SIGNING PLAYERS THROUGHOUT THE SEASON TO FILL HOLES: C+.

- He signed K-Rob, but other than that all the other players were no names. They may have potential to develop, but I felt he short changed McCarthy with some talent. Example: Hendo was below par this season, and Miree has an injury history, so I felt he should have gotten a more established player to help McCarthy out. He likes to rotate the bottom couple of spots on the roster to find a guy with potential, but a veteran can also help out now and then.

Overall, TT has rebuilt the depth of this team in 2 years. They are deeper now than at any point in the Sherman era, and that is saying something in such a short time. TT holds out for a deal that is fair to both sides, he won't over pay anybody and I think sometimes that gets misunderstood as being too cheap.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to grade TT as Incomplete and am still very undecided on my overall feelings about him.

- Some of his youth moves were very positive this season - Positive
- Considering we are rebuilding, the teams record is to be expected - Positive
- What the $#@& happened with the D for the better part of the this season - Negative
- Not providing enough talented receiving corps to score consistently - Negative

This off season will be a major determining factor for me. Now that TT has a fairly solid core of youth on the team, will he open up his wallet and get a couple more experienced vets ? to not only make Green Bay a more attractive to place to play for other players; but to also motivate the great vets we have here to stay and make us a competitive team now ?

Good post and I agree 100%. A mix of youth and veterans is the way to go and TT has the money to do the right thing.

But is TT competent enough? I have some doubts. 2007 will be a crossroads season for TT. Stay tuned.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give TT a Bplus.

The team is rebuilding for sure and has improved this year and ALMOST made the playoffs. The team is young and improving.

Keep in mind that if Terence Murphy wasn't career injured, GB would have two young stud wide receivers in T.Murph and G.Jennings. They would've been a great compliment for Donald Driver for the future.

Thompson's method IS methodical, and he is making the small improvements and keeping our cap space in good health.

The defense has been building, just needs some fixes in the coaching and some time together.

The offense is young and just needs a couple upgrades at WR and runningback.

Tony Gonzalez is too expensive and on the tailend of his career. This is a good draft for WRs so we'll get some help. Charles Rogers is still out there and might be rehabbed in attitude.

The QB position is in good shape(i know many disagree w/this). I liken Rodgers to Matt Hassellback. Hassellback took 2-3 years at the helm to get cemented as the starter and he turned out. We'll be in good shape. Just trust on this one guys.

I like TT and MMcCarthy's method. It's the right formula for this young team, and they are poised to make a run next year. The teams that are young and on the rise are the Packers and the 49ers. We will watch these teams ascend as the teams right now who are up will be in decline and in cap hell.

Let's thank TT for helping us get a strong future.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Way to keep the thread on topic Zero..

Nice contribution to the forum..! :thumbsup:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people are expressing dismay that TT sat on cap money this season rather than spending it like a drunken sailor. Well, how upset would these people be if the money was spent, and we lost our ability to address our own up and coming players such as Cullen Jenkins, Corey Williams and did not have the ability to address Al Harris' contract.

As most of you know, I like the way TT operates. I give his draft an A, free agency a B+, for an overall grade of A-.

So many people want to forget Kampmann when addressing TT's FA moves....my money says they would be livid if the guy got away and gave some other team 15.5 sacks and great run defense....and let us not even discuss his intangibles such as work ethic, motor, and the example he sets for other players in the "work hard and the Packers will pay you" department. Humble beginnings to a top shelf DE. Good stuff!

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hmm..

Who drafted Kampman again...???

People soon forget...

I know you hate him digs...but don't forget to give him his "props"...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Hmm..

Who drafted Kampman again...???

People soon forget...

I know you hate him digs...but don't forget to give him his "props"...

How can you turn it around to who drafted Kamp?

The topic is Ted and his grades...Ted re-signed Kamp hours before f/a hit..

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I not big on giving too much credit to GM's for re-signing your own guys/players...

If they're good..you should be able to re-sign them..that's your job. Unless you get into a bidding war and the price is not justifiable.

What's more impressive to me is if you can take a guy from the outside in FA and plug him in to your squad as an upgrade.

That way..you're getting additional talent..not just keeping the talent you have....

In other words..your team is getting BETTER than it was....

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell 66...give a monkey a typewriter and some time, he will eventually write Shakespeare. Such is the case of MS the GM.

You forgot Javon Walker and Nick Barnett as MS successes....but forget entirely C. Hunt, Joey Thomas, Ahmad Carroll, Torrance Marshall, Donnell Washington, James Lee, Hunter Hillenmeyer, BJ Sander, Joe Johnson...should I continue the list of failures, busts and blunders to complete the picture of a GM over his head.

Welcome back by the way.

And now that that is addressed, back to the topic at hand...............

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm....how many people, within football and outside, questioned the dollars paid to Kampmann? A lot!

Give some credit where credit is due. TT saw things in Kampy that most did not, and paid him accordingly...good for him.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
True that..

But I still think that a GM should be able to sign his own...hell..he got to watch him closely all year....

"But ok..if you wanna crown him...then go ahead and crown 'em"....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I not big on giving too much credit to GM's for re-signing your own guys/players...

If they're good..you should be able to re-sign them..that's your job. Unless you get into a bidding war and the price is not justifiable.

What's more impressive to me is if you can take a guy from the outside in FA and plug him in to your squad as an upgrade.

That way..you're getting additional talent..not just keeping the talent you have....

In other words..your team is getting BETTER than it was....

So now Ted gets really no credit for re-signing a player, but takes all the blame for letting others go..I.E Wahle

Is that what you are saying, cuz sure looks like that is what your trying to say

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's right..

Wolf said..

"You should be able to resign your players that you want to keep..That's your job as GM"....

I just don't see it as an extra-credit, FA signing as some people do...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does in not fall under the responsibilities of a GM to keep key players?

Glad you choose to ignore a major part of a GMs overall responsibilities when making your assessment of TT.

Kinda like ignoring the "putting out fires" part of a fireman's responsibilities when evaluating their job performance, huh?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Does in not fall under the responsibilities of a GM to keep key players?

Glad you choose to ignore a major part of a GMs overall responsibilities when making your assessment of TT.

Kinda like ignoring the "putting out fires" part of a fireman's responsibilities when evaluating their job performance, huh?

Retaining your own key players is what Ron Wolf said was his biggest task.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give the guy an A.

1) He's brought in a ton of young talent with great upside.
2) He's managed the cap unbelievably well.

Other teams look to have more cap space on the surface but the reality of it is this number is the pre re-signing of guys you want to keep number. We have a few guys in that catagory whereas most teams have a BUNCH of guys that will either bleed heavily into the cap,or, be gone.

He was very unpopular with some when he elected not to resign certain guys after he first got here. All I can say is wouldn't it be a shame if we lost Harris and Jenkins because he didn't have the forsight to keep the money right?

Obviously for those that are still compelled to believe this was a talented, veteran team with only a few holes to fill will disagree with this grade.

If YOU BELIEVED the Carroll's, Digg's, Lenon's, Jackson's, Manuel's, were "good enough", resigning aging centers, making whatever sacrifices(players lost) to keep Wahle, and bending over to Walker's demands would have us in a better place today well....so be it.

I guess those of you in this catagory also believe we had more than adequate backups when, not if, injuries occured. Please tell me who these guys were because quite honestly I had my hands over my eyes afraid to watch when this happened.

I believe we are much more talented, have much more upside with the talent we have, and happy to see our cap in such a great place which wouldn't be the case if the above course had been taken.

I hope to never again see us in a position where we have two million bucks and two veteran and valuable players to deal with. We are certainly a far cry from that today now aren't we?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again if Terence Murphy hadn't had a career ending injury, we would have TWO stud wide receivers in Jennings and Murphy to hand our had on, thanks to Ted Thompson.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts