Grade this draft

What grade do you give this draft?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

2011 Draft...you got a surefire starting WR for ANY roster. You also got a starting 3rd corner for ANY roster...and some teams even a #2. You also had a serious injury which cancelled a guys career. Does not sound like a failed draft to me. I guess I don't expect draft miracles or 4-6 bonafide stud starters :D....call me crazy.

Only three out of 18 drafted players from the 2011 and ´12 draft getting a second contract from the Packers has to be considered a failure for a team mostly relying on draft and develop. In addition one of those three only was brought back on a one year, prove it deal.

H

HardRightEdge

2011 Draft...you got a surefire starting WR for ANY roster. You also got a starting 3rd corner for ANY roster...and some teams even a #2. You also had a serious injury which cancelled a guys career. Does not sound like a failed draft to me. I guess I don't expect draft miracles or 4-6 bonafide stud starters :D....call me crazy.

This year as an example....I'd love to think Clark/Spriggs and Martinez all 3 see serious playing time moving forward...and Davis stick around for a 2nd contract and Fackrell be the answer to a retiring Peppers and an aging Clay....but let's get realistic.
In response, I can simply repeat:

"When you get down to it, for a program that is draft-and-develop more than any other in the league, to see so few guys make it to the second contract has proved quite problematic. One might even say failing to get more production from those 2 drafts is a key, if not the key, for failing to get back to the SB."

Out of those two drafts, 4 and 3 years prior to the 2015 season, you had only 3 guys on the roster. While 2 of them are Pro Bowl caliber players, given the established "process" of roster building, you have to consider those drafts as failures.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I grade the draft a solid "B"...I loved Spriggs, Dean Lowry and Kyler Frackerall, liked Blake Martinez and Trevor Davis and not that big of a fan of Kenny Clark. None of this really means anything until camp begins. I am most intrigued with Trevor Davis and Kyler Frackerall. Trevor Davis will give us speed and some depth we desperately need at the position and I believe will have an immediate impact. Monty, Jeff Janis and Trevor Davis returning kick-offs and punts. Depth at Oline. Kyler Frackerall is an athletic edge rusher that will get to learn and develop from two of the best at the position. Do not think he will have an immediate impact, but could progress to a solid OLB within the next few years. Overall, I did like the draft. I'm praying Dean Lowry will give us some athleticism on the end.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll concede to you both that yes the 2011 draft was not successful for a team that uses that as the primary (95-97%) of it's roster build...I still though won't consider it a bust as in utter failure though because it produced 2 guys that will play full length careers (House and Cobb)....I wouldn't give it any higher than a C.

It's true I'd say our style of building means we must hit on 3 players minimum a year that see their second contract.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We wont know how this draft turns out until a year from now or so. Some of these players could end up being core guys for us and pro bowlers. Some may be complete busts. Who knows right now honestly. Its all speculation at this point. But I am excited about a couple of guys we drafted. We'll see what happens. Time will tell.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol people actually graded this draft an A?? Wow haha no way

Honestly, as many unknowns as a draft consists of...and not one season or game under any of their belts I don't see how anyone could go D or F on this other than they just hate TT's approach or are so pissy about not getting the flashy name in lights players they felt "we needed".

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm okay with B long-term, I just wish we had got a little more help for this year. Aside from Clark, I'm not sure who we really have that's going to make much of a difference this year. Spriggs is a fine tackle prospect long-term, but he's not going to start over Bulaga or Bahk.

Lowry, Martinez, and Fackrell will likely have rotational and special teams roles, but are unlikely to see significant snaps this season.

I think we're banking a lot on the offense rebounding and the development of other young players.

Sky King

Reaction score
C
That's a neutral grade which in my mind is appropriate since none of them have played a down for the Packers yet, and it will be at least a year or two down the road before we'll really know better what grade will have been earned.

Clark is probably the only lock to be a day 1 starter from this group. Others may be pressed to start if there are any injuries to the incumbents ahead of them or if any starters under-perform or fail a drug screening.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm liking the Kenny Clark pick more every day. Watching his tape he's rarely, if ever, pushed backwards. We need a guy that can stalemate a double-team and over-power a single blocker in the middle. I really love how he pushes/steers the OL and has his eyes on the play happening and react to it. Don't care if he actually gets a sack, but collapsing the pocket is sorely needed. I gave this draft a B grade, but it has the chance to climb into A range with the character & motors that these guys have.

Sky King

Reaction score
I'm liking the Kenny Clark pick more every day. Watching his tape he's rarely, if ever, pushed backwards. We need a guy that can stalemate a double-team and over-power a single blocker in the middle. I really love how he pushes/steers the OL and has his eyes on the play happening and react to it. Don't care if he actually gets a sack, but collapsing the pocket is sorely needed. I gave this draft a B grade, but it has the chance to climb into A range with the character & motors that these guys have.
We heard good things post-draft about the "motors" of Aaron Kampman, Clay Matthews and Mike Daniels. Apparently, its a mighty good trait that could make average athletes become core players and above average athletes become stars. I'm also liking that this trait is being attributed to most of the guys TT and Co. picked last week.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thread is clearly about grading this year's draft right now. If you want to defer because it's too early, certainly nobody is requiring a grade (I didn't give it one). However, if you don't want to play, just drive by, there's nothing to see here.

H

HardRightEdge

How you grade it depends on whether you take a "what are you gonna do for me know" perspective or if you consider the 2017 FA class. Covering the bases for 2017 losses, which will surely occur, puts a higher grade on this group.

The Packers might have some idea of who will stay and who will go, but I doubt it has much precision. So much depends on how guys play this season, who gets injured, and how much money other teams will throw at them.

Other than Clark, who is probably close to a finished product despite his youth, the other guys have things to work on, several needing to add bulk, but have decently high ceilings. You simply could not cover all the bases that will likely need to be covered in next year's draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lowry, Martinez, and Fackrell will likely have rotational and special teams roles, but are unlikely to see significant snaps this season.

Hopefully Martinez will get significant playing time on defense this season because of him presenting an upgrade as a coverage linebacker. Otherwise Thompson didn't upgrade the Packers most dire need entering this offseason at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At least we know what #'s the Rookies will be wearing! :coffee:

DT Kenny Clark: #97
OT Jason Spriggs: #78
OLB Kyler Fackrell: #51
ILB Blake Martinez: #50
DE Dean Lowry: #94
WR Trevor Davis: #11
OT Kyle Murphy: #68

Martinez getting #50 makes me believe Hawk won't be invited back to GB, for those who were "worried" :D

Reaction score
Our picks could've been on autopilot. We didn't crash mid air and we safely landed on schedule..but we scared a few passengers taking off and landing.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
On SIs mmqb podcast last week they said after talking to GMs around the league that the packers have the best roster in the league but were the worst coached offensive team in the league last season.
An interesting take
Completely agree. The offensive coaching staff was absolutely offensive last year.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least we know what #'s the Rookies will be wearing! :coffee:

DT Kenny Clark: #97
OT Jason Spriggs: #78
OLB Kyler Fackrell: #51
ILB Blake Martinez: #50
DE Dean Lowry: #94
WR Trevor Davis: #11
OT Kyle Murphy: #68

Martinez getting #50 makes me believe Hawk won't be invited back to GB, for those who were "worried" :D

In addition to Martinez, #50 is also currently assigned to guard/tackle Vince Kowalski. And Jared Cook still has no number.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One thing I notice about Kenny Clarke, kid has a big undercarriage. Naturally big thick legs calves and thighs. That my friends is the build of a prototype NFL NT. Now just let him do a little buffet training to add some leverage weight and he should be ready to play to position on day one.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That's odd, he's been 89 everywhere he goes... and James Jones previously wore that # but is a FA now. He was #84 with South Carolina... wondering if he's negotiating with Abby? :tdown:
Stop teasing me like this, you saying the Packers are keeping #89 open.....to bring James Jones back? :geek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts