What grade do you give this draft?

• Total voters
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may be a credible assessment. McCarthy and his reorganized offensive coaching staff had a terrible 2015 season. I'm hoping for a well-needed rebound in 2016.
I don't think he's a bad coach but he definitely had a bad year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to say, but I have a feeling we got some good players. The trenches aren't the glamorous positions or picks, but I think having big guys in the trenches is very important and the Packers got a lot of big guys in this draft. So, I am going to guess it's at least a B+, maybe even an A-. Time will tell.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

Green Bay Packers, B
1 (27) Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
2 (48) (from Indianapolis) Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
3 (88) Kyler Fackrell, OLB, Utah State
4 (131) Blake Martinez, ILB, Stanford
4 (137) Dean Lowry, DE, Northwestern
5 (163) Trevor Davis, WR, California
6 (200) Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford

Day 1: Clark has great feel for disengaging blocks in the running game, capable of making plays up and down the line of scrimmage and grading at +43.9 overall last season, which ranked No. 12 in the class among interior defensive linemen..

As a pass-rusher, he can push the pocket with the best bull rush in the class, although he needs to add more to the repertoire to maximize his potential. We had a second-round grade on him.

Day 2: Spriggs is an athletic tackle who should fit well in the Packers’ zone-blocking scheme — his +6.6 pass-blocking grade ranked No. 10 in the class.

Fackrell is a solid pass-rush option on the edge, as his 15.7 pass-rush productivity ranked sixth in the class.

Day 3: Martinez was a step slow in the run game in 2015, but he showed well in coverage and he can play the ball in front of him when playing zone.

Lowry had the 10th-highest overall grade among edge defenders in 2015 and he projects as a defensive end in Green Bay’s scheme.

Murphy adds good late-round depth with starting potential after posting a +23.9 overall grade that ranked seventh in the class.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give the 2011 draft a D+.

That seems almost high as that class was a complete disaster other than Cobb. I guess you could give a few points to House for being somewhat productive here and at least returning his same value for a compensation pick.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...nfl-draft-2016-grades-winners-losers-analysis

Green Bay Packer
Best pick:
Murphy - I projected Murphy as a fourth-round pick and the Packers stole him in the sixth round. He could play guard or tackle for the Packers.

Questionable pick: Davis - This isn't a fault on Davis who is a nice speed receiver. It's more of a fault on the Packers for not using the pick on a guard. There were a few available.

Green Bay is another team that knew its needs in the draft, and attacked them. On the defensive line Clark can can play on the nose or end.

Fackrell and Martinez were the linebackers the Packers needed in this draft. Fackrell is a solid pass rusher with size, and Martinez is a smart middle who can make plays against the run.

Second round pick Jason Spriggs is a highly athletic pass blocker who could eventually become the team's starting left tackle.

Overall grade:B-

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/30/nfl-draft-grades-teams-winners-losers-picks-analysis#packers

Green Bay Packers: B
It’s not a **** draft, but Ted Thompson doesn’t do ****. Clark isn’t a pass rusher, but he has the ability to push any offensive lineman around.

On the other side of the trenches, Spriggs is a move athlete with all kinds of agility and All-Pro potential as soon as he gets his play strength together.

Fackrell will pump up a position group so thin that Clay Matthews was forced to play inside. Fackrell is doubly valuable if he can get Matthews back outside where he belongs.

Likewise, Martinez should help inside over time—he’s a pure thumper.

Getting Stanford tackle Kyle Murphy in the sixth round could look like a pure genius move in a couple years. —DF

A-RODGE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had three big issues with this draft:

1. I really didn't like Clark where we got him. I like quite a few more players and I felt we could have moved down a bit and got him or someone similarly rated. Maybe Thompson knew something we didn't...but I just don't see where he stands out. It was a deep position at that point in the draft.

2. I really despised not getting an ILB early. It is a serious position of need. Clay Matthews makes way too many big mistakes for my tastes. ILB play will once again be a weak link.

3. We did not draft a punter(alright fine), but we couldn't even secure one of the better UDFA punters. Come on Thompson how many years are we going to roll out a joke of a punter like Masthay? How did we not having some of the best UDFA punters running straight to us? I would have drafted Kaser in the 5th no second thoughts. He would have such a big impact on this team in coming years. People don't realize how much a bad punter hurts. In Thompson's defense he still has time to find a better punter before the year....but if he rolls out Masthay, wow.

On the positive side I loved drafting at the lines and going for depth. Something that has hurt us a lot in the past.

(Bottom Line: C)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I had three big issues with this draft:

1. I really didn't like Clark where we got him. I like quite a few more players and I felt we could have moved down a bit and got him or someone similarly rated. Maybe Thompson knew something we didn't...but I just don't see where he stands out. It was a deep position at that point in the draft.

2. I really despised not getting an ILB early. It is a serious position of need. Clay Matthews makes way too many big mistakes for my tastes. ILB play will once again be a weak link.

3. We did not draft a punter(alright fine), but we couldn't even secure one of the better UDFA punters. Come on Thompson how many years are we going to roll out a joke of a punter like Masthay? How did we not having some of the best UDFA punters running straight to us? I would have drafted Kaser in the 5th no second thoughts. He would have such a big impact on this team in coming years. People don't realize how much a bad punter hurts. In Thompson's defense he still has time to find a better punter before the year....but if he rolls out Masthay, wow.

On the positive side I loved drafting at the lines and going for depth. Something that has hurt us a lot in the past.

(Bottom Line: C)

Peter Morrell. Punter from Minnesota? Not good enough?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

A-RODGE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter Morrell. Punter from Minnesota? Not good enough?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I don't mind Morrell, but just looking at face value I feel like there were a few better options. Only time will tell if Morrell can work. Of course one could say that about anything in this thread. Who knows.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This will be a biased poll...

Those that hate Ted can not take off the blinders to give a true assessment

Those that love Ted cant not take off the blinders to give a true assessment
Not to mention the fact that all of us here are totally unqualified to give a true assessment. We'll know more by the middle of the 2018 season on how to accurately grade this draft.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
this was one of many TT drafs that will garner a bunch of special teams player and guys that stick around here longer than they should because they were drafted here. I could only imagine what this team would be like without Aaron Rodgers.
We would possibly be drafting higher up on the pecking order every year. Kind of like 25 other teams. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

B. I´m still extremely disappointed Thompson decided to pass on Myles Jack and select Kenny Clark in the first round. While I expect Clark to become a decent player the Packers reached for him instead of drafting a true impact player at #27.

I truly like the selections of Jason Spriggs, Kyler Fackrell, Dean Lowry and Kyle Murphy. Blake Martinez may address a need at inside linebacker but possibly would still have been available in the fifth round. Trevor Davis is a speedy receiver but I´m not sure he was truly the best player available at the position at the time he was picked.

Overall TT did a good job of addressing two of the three biggest needs on the roster in the defensive line and depth on the offensive line but failed to adequately address inside linebacker.

Martinez looks like an upgrade but may have trouble covering the pass. Grade B-

Martinez is most likely an upgrade covering the pass at inside linebacker but will have to improve his run defense to play any other snaps than as the lone dime linebacker.

Prediction, Clark has a better career than Jack

It´s possible Jack´s career will be cut short by his knee ailment. Sometimes teams have to take a risk on an elite player though, especially if he perfectly fits the team´s biggest need.

What PFF draft rankings fail to take into account are team-specific schemes and the supporting cast of those teams. A player ranked #1 in PFF rankings might be ranked #200 for the Packers, and vice versa.

PFF published team specific draft boards for every single team. Here´s the ranking of the Packers draft picks on this one.

Kenny Clark #49
Jason Spriggs #41
Kyler Fackrell #44
Blake Martinez #197
Dean Lowry ##71
Trevor Davis #227
Kyle Murphy #124

Here´s the link to it if you´re interested:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/21/draft-pff-draft-board-green-bay-packers/

As a side note they had Myles Jack ranked third on the Packers team specific board.

Really I thought we had 3 pressing needs going into this draft. NT to rotate with Guion, backup OT considering how thin we are there and ILB. Got good players for all those spots so I'll check those boxes off.

I don´t consider drafting one inside linebacker in Martinez as completely addressing the Packers most dire need.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers called jack and told them they might take him during the 1st round

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main concern here is why the glut of Pac 10 guys? SEC and ACC were in the National Championship, so they've got talent, Big East does too as well as the smaller conferences. What's with the West Coast bias?

But perhaps it's not a coincidence that what looks like our best draft in years, 2015, avoided the SEC. SEC is rightly perceived as the best conference in College Football, but maybe teams overvalue and overrate prospects from that conference? I also tend to think that while SEC tend to be more NFL ready they frequently seem to be maxed out in the development department. With guys like Clarke and Spriggs you can not only see how they perform against NFL comparable competition at the Senior/East West Shrine practices, you can reasonably conclude that these cats have a lot of room on their frames for additional muscle mass.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be a biased poll...

Those that hate Ted can not take off the blinders to give a true assessment

Those that love Ted cant not take off the blinders to give a true assessment

Shouldn't be. In my opinion someone that can't remove their own personal bias when discussing things shouldn't even enter into discussions or share opinions because they lack the capability of processing or comprehending things farther than a 4th grader.

Entering the offseason/Draft we had glaring issues at TE, ILB, OL and DL.

We sign Cook to shore up TE for at least one year.
We sign McCray to add experience and serious potential some say to the LB corps.

In the draft we grab a solid DL in the 1st and more later as well.
We also grab one of the most athletic and agile Tackles in the draft in Spriggs...and a raw but very skilled 6th rounder as well.
We also grab a ILB and OLB...Martinez by many has the chance of being a serious contributor this year!
Then to top things off we grab a burner of a WR, that has a gear not many have...could make team for return purposes alone.

I didn't agree with all the round by round selections and had other guys I'd take but in the end EVERY position was addressed and at times multiple times. The question isn't if they tried to address them, it is did they find the answers.

One must remember a draft outside of like 12 players is really a big crap shoot at this point for us above average forum fans to know.....3 years from now and even after this year we'll begin to have a better idea of this draft.

Last edited:

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave it a C. The Clark pick is just ok to me, I like moving up to get Spriggs. The rest will have to wait and see.

Hoping Clark winds up being a beast...I think Datone has spoiled UCLA d line picks for me (not fair to Clark I know).

D

Deleted member 6794

Could have been a much better draft for us if House didn't struggle with injuries, he looked like a + starter for the Jags.

House was an average starter for the Jaguars last season, don´t think he should positively affect the grade for the 2011 draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree....a starter years later after their selection unless a 1st rounder is a positive thing.

H

HardRightEdge

Could have been a much better draft for us if House didn't struggle with injuries, he looked like a + starter for the Jags.
I've probably called this draft an F in the past just to make a point of emphasis. In my mind, House elevated that draft from D- to D+. You need a 3rd. cover corner on your roster with some game in the event of injury. House performed respectably in that role. They probably would have brought him back to compete for a starter role if somebody else didn't throw money at him.

We'll never know what might have happened with Sherrod. I liked the pick at the time it happened, but he showed poorly before the injury. I saw signs he was starting to come around when it happened, but from what we saw there was no guarantee he'd develop into a bona fide starting OT.

2012 wasn't much better...you could say Daniels/Perry vs. Cobb/House makes those 2 drafts fairly comparable. Perry gets one more year to change that comparison, but for gosh sakes he's had 4 years to show us something other than the very occasional flash in the pass rush. If Peppers wasn't as old as he is or if they had somebody with starter potential in the wings, they would not have thrown $5 mil at him to try, yet once again, to demonstrate 3 down potential.

When you get down to it, for a program that is draft-and-develop more than any other in the league, to see so few guys make it to the second contract has proved quite problematic. One might even say failing to get more production from those 2 drafts is a key, if not the key, for failing to get back to the SB.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2011 Draft...you got a surefire starting WR for ANY roster. You also got a starting 3rd corner for ANY roster...and some teams even a #2. You also had a serious injury which cancelled a guys career. Does not sound like a failed draft to me. I guess I don't expect draft miracles or 4-6 bonafide stud starters :D....call me crazy.

This year as an example....I'd love to think Clark/Spriggs and Martinez all 3 see serious playing time moving forward...and Davis stick around for a 2nd contract and Fackrell be the answer to a retiring Peppers and an aging Clay....but let's get realistic.

Members online

Latest posts