1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Got a question for you... Youth Baseball

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pack93z, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    My 8 year old son is popping his fastball right now in the low 50's.... should I be letting him throw that hard at a young age like this or have him slow down some. I am curious if letting him pitch as hard as he can will have health affects on his pitch shoulder and arm in high school and beyond if he progresses?

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Geez........that is a tough one. I really don't know the answer, but if it were me i'd be careful with him. His muscles and all are still just developing.

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    i am not a doctor (but i did stay at a holiday express last night) but i'd be careful. i talked to my brother who is a physical therapist, and he said just be careful. make sure he warms up really well before he starts throwing hard. My brother said that most people's injuries associated with throwing mechanics happen because they don't warm up thoroughly, and this is especially true for kids. he said your son can throw as hard as he feels comfortable throwing, but just make sure he warms up first and cools down after.

4. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Like the last post said, make sure he properly warms up before throwing at high speeds. I pitched from about age 12 to 16, and I've had shoulder and elbow problems ever since. The main thing you should worry about, which at 8 it shouldn't be a problem anyways, is starting to throw curve balls too early. That was most of my problem. Learning to place curve balls can cause strain very very easily in a child's arm. But, like I said, at 8 years old you shouldn't need to worry about that for a few years. Just make sure he has the proper warm up, and doesn't over do it. When he feels any fatigue in his arm at his age, it's time to stop. He has a lot of years ahead of him! Haha!

5. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    low 50's is f'n great for an 8 year old..although i can't speak on whether it might be unhealty or not, so i'm kinda useless here.

i heard cheesey caps out in the high teens.

6. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Having been a little league coach for 6 years and having been a pitcher during my playing years, here. is my advice:
    He is too young to let it all out on every throw regardless of his size and strength.
    He needs to learn to throw variable speeds mixing in the fastball occasionally.
    He needs to learn to pitch to various locations at variable speeds, when my youngest son pitched, I called every pitch from the dugout, that is speed and location. I could do that with him because we played catch and talked pitching every day as well as practicing our signs.

Just because a kid is a hard thrower does not mean he is a pitcher.

Above all keep him away from throwing the curve until he is at least 12. with the proper coaching the curve develops quickly and there is no need to rush it.

Good luck with your sons baseball career and my advice is to work with your son everyday, don't put his development in someone elses hands.

7. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for all the advice so far, right now I try to have him hold back from letting it loose to much. But alas he is a boy and likes to hmmm show off :)

Myself and the High School coach have been working with him on his pitches and yes we are staying away from the curve for now. He has got a chance his command is comming along nicely, however he plays short stop as well and finding it a little hard teaching him to take a little off the throws to 1st.

Thanks again.

8. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Hey Yoop... how accurate are those hand held radar guns?... we borrowed the High School's last weekend.

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Are you talking throwing, or girlfriends??? :rotflmao:

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    We got hold of one back in the 1970's, and clocked a tree going 30mph!!!(True story!)

11. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think they may be slightly more advanced now cheesey.

12. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    nice one! lol

13. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    They are accurate if they are calibrated properly, they also need to be recalibrated periodically.

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm SURE they are!
    (If you ask me, that tree wasn't going over 15mph!!!) :rotflmao:

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey.....you know me! A "Cheesey" answer for just about everything! :rotflmao: