Goodbye to Favre fallacies

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I apologize if this was already posted. I didn't see it below but thought it was a good read.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061016/PKR07/610160467/1989

Posted October 16, 2006

Chris Havel column: At bye, good-bye to Favre fallacies

By Chris Havel

The Green Bay Packers' bye offered a welcome respite on several fronts.

I wasn't required to place blame for a loss. I didn't have to sift through postgame comments, and separate the reasons from the excuses. I wasn't subjected to poor substitution patterns, 12 men on the field, would-be interceptions or blown assignments.

I didn't have to use the words "Schottenheimer" and "inept" in the same sentence.

Best of all, I didn't have to endure Brett Favre bashing on a local or national level.

The prevailing misconception is Favre's presence in the starting lineup is retarding, handcuffing and hurting the Packers' ability to rebuild. I have heard Favre described as "selfish," "washed up" and "over the hill." I have seen him labeled as the problem, rather than the solution.

That kind of talk is getting older than Favre.

There are those in the national media calling for the Packers to trade Favre to a team willing to acquire a 37-year-old quarterback in return for a high draft pick or two. When a team makes such an offer, and I would be surprised, I gladly will expound.

Meantime, I will settle for destroying a fallacy.

Favre is playing at a reasonably high level. If he weren't, the national media wouldn't be calling for his trade. They would be demanding his benching.

They would note Favre's streak of consecutive starts shouldn't take precedence over the team's chance to win.

They would whine that Favre's proximity to Dan Marino's record for most touchdown passes in a career (420 to 403) should be secondary to the Packers' development of No. 2 quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Those words are penned, the speeches written and the rants cued up. The trouble is, Favre isn't ready to stand down. Nor should he be.

To say he is stunting the team's rebuilding is to neglect Greg Jennings' development. The rookie receiver has burst onto the NFL scene in a big way. He is playing with an old pro's savvy and a young man's legs. He is making Favre look good, and vice-versa, which is the way it is supposed to be between a quarterback and his receivers.

The offensive line is improving each week, despite a guard rotation that features rookies Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz and Tony Moll. Go ahead. Ask them if Favre's presence in the huddle inspires confidence. Ask them if Favre's accomplishments motivate them to play their best.

Favre's experience and ability give the Packers a chance to be competitive. In turn, that gives the defense and special teams added incentive to compete to their fullest.

With the game on the line, rookie linebacker A.J. Hawk is going to do whatever it takes to make the play. With the game on the line, kicker Dave Rayner and punter Jon Ryan are going to be tested, and the coverage and return units are going to sell out.

Rodgers is the only player whose development is being placed on hold. If he is unhappy, I don't sense it. If he is impatient, I don't see it. Rodgers knows his time will come when Favre is ready to leave, or when he proves himself the better quarterback.

Today, neither is true.

I totally agree with Havel on this one. Play Brett.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow. Usually reading Havel makes me want to puch kittens. But man, he makes a heckuva point. Finally, our bright spots get some press!

Mods:Can we get an applause/spite button for Havel? I think that would be neat.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Usually reading Havel makes me want to puch kittens
Love it.

Can we get an applause/spite button for Havel?
We could set it up to automatically attach to any post of his articles ;) that would be funny stuff. I don't suspect on a regular basis it would be out of the "red".

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually like Havel. As for the Favre bashing media they just prove you don't need to go to college to become a journalist. I think especially Jennings is gaining from Brett playing. One could argue that Brett still playing is helping Aaron's cause as instead of playing with rookie guards and a rookie receiver, he'll possibly be able to come in next year and play with these same guys who could be much improved.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some very good points in this article. The key one is that Favre gives us the best chance to win each week.

Benching Favre equates to giving up on the season. Why would the other players work hard and try to win each week if the coaches are giving up? Why would veterans try to mentor young players? Doing so would only help this season, which doesn't matter. So mentoring young players only helps them beat you out next year. What FAs would want to come to GB if they just gave up on a season?

Favre is the leader of the Packers and there's no question about it. This team needs that leader on the field to learn and get better.

I personally believe that getting a win streak going this season will help for the development of the players down the road. It will teach them how to win as a team and help them know what needs to be done to get the team to the next level. That means a lot more than a top 5 pick IMHO.

As for Rodgers development, he appears to be learning a lot from Favre. He will be much better off from his experience as a backup rather than being thrown into the fire. He will also be better stepping in with a more experienced OL.

In the end, you play the game to win. If it doesn't matter, than why doesn't everyone just forfeit the rest of the season? Better to lose all games than risk injury for next year.... blah blah, crap!

GO PACK GO!!!

Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Some very good points in this article. The key one is that Favre gives us the best chance to win each week.

1-4

Yes, but Favre can't be held responsible for all thsoe losses. He's done more with less talent on O.

Honestly, I think you'd have realized it isn't the best thing to take shots at Favre after your QB throws 4 INTs in a game, and the Bears have struggled for a decent QB for the last long while.

Rex's Monday night display is the closest thing I've ever seen to throwing the ball up for grabs, hoping your player comes down with it.

This is old now, Phil.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Bobby Roberts said:

1-4

Yes, but Favre can't be held responsible for all thsoe losses. He's done more with less talent on O.

Honestly, I think you'd have realized it isn't the best thing to take shots at Favre after your QB throws 4 INTs in a game, and the Bears have struggled for a decent QB for the last long while.

Rex's Monday night display is the closest thing I've ever seen to throwing the ball up for grabs, hoping your player comes down with it.

This is old now, Phil.

If Grossman is playing in three years on any team in the NFL in three years, I'll be surprised. I wouldn't be surprised to see Favre as a starting QB in three years. Favre still can throw 70 yards. Grossman's too injury prone. Talent or not, one's body has to hold up and the one saying everyone knows about history is history tends to repeat itself.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You read that article and you'd think our team is something special to watch. I'm glad Havel's keeping it positive and I agree with what he's saying but it doesn't have to come across like such an advertisement.

Members online

Latest posts