• Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eberle to Green Bay

In my mind, no doubt, a Packer's legend, Mason Crosby has been clutch and big time in the biggest games and most memorable in the special moments. However, it looks like age and attrition is calling for Father Time to make a visit.

New ST coach Bisaccia looks to have recruited Eberle from the Raiders.

Its possible more dramatic moves may come for the overhaul of the special teams unit?

Is it time for the organization to move on from Mason Crosby?

What are your thoughts?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd say no. He will be back next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have been advocating for the Packers to move on from Crosby for several years but with cap space being at an absolute premium and him struggling again last season now is the time to finally replace him with a cheaper kicker.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one thing is certain, it becomes more likely with each passing year, but nothing is assured. His contract does offer savings if he is cut, and while every bit counts it's not one where we save 11 million or something so I don't think he's gone just because it saves money. I think he's going to have real competition this year unlike many seasons in the past and he's going to have to beat them out for his roster spot.

But I don't think he's gone just to save money and will be replaced, IF somebody beats him out.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
A $4.7 M cap hit in 2022 makes him the 7th highest paid kicker in the coming season. Veteran minimum for him would be $1.12M. I voted yes but I'm hedging by saying it is more likely that he will redo his contract at veteran minimum ($1.12M/yr). He could still be cut prior to the season if he fails to beat out the completion and I believe it would give the Packers the ability to reduce the 2022 cap charge by about $3M with dead cap in 2023 ~ $1M.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were Russ Ball, I would tell Crosby that the Packers have to pay the minimum at kicker, either to him at the veteran minimum or to a unproven kicker. Nobody else is going to pick up Crosby, so either he plays at the veteran minimum or he hangs up his cleats. I think that the Packers would be fine with keeping him for the right price.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been discussed already on the signed roster for 2022 thread and a few others. No need for another new thread.

Since it exists though. No way a team enters camp with three kickers if one is the consensus veteran and team all time scorer like Crosby. Eberle is either here to replace JJ eventually (doubtful since they signed him to a futures deal too) or Crosby is done.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% gone if Aaron is not back.

50/50 if Aaron comes back. I don't think they will cut him, but I think it will be an open competition at camp.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% gone if Aaron is not back.

50/50 if Aaron comes back. I don't think they will cut him, but I think it will be an open competition at camp.
Zero reason a team scratching thin fiscally to have three kickers in camp and one be making top 5 money at his position - you don’t have such players competing

Reaction score
I think GB is making it clear they are not scared to go another direction at K. After another season of mishaps or might just be best to start with a clean slate. The chances of finishing around ~75% FG is super low with a new group.
It’s time to move on. Crosby has been a great guy, but his primary role is to put games away not screw them up. He makes way too much $$$$ to screw up a FG from “extra point” range.

I know there are other factors but I’d rather move on and take my chances. Possibly even at minimum.

D

Deleted member 6794

A $4.7 M cap hit in 2022 makes him the 7th highest paid kicker in the coming season. Veteran minimum for him would be $1.12M. I voted yes but I'm hedging by saying it is more likely that he will redo his contract at veteran minimum ($1.12M/yr). He could still be cut prior to the season if he fails to beat out the completion and I believe it would give the Packers the ability to reduce the 2022 cap charge by about $3M with dead cap in 2023 ~ $1M.

That might be an option from a financial point of view as the Packers would nearly save as much cap space as by moving on from Crosby.

I'm not convinced Crosby would agree to such a deal though. In addition it's far from certain he presents the best option anyway.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything from anyone really so far this offseason. It wouldn't surprise me if Mason is getting close to calling it a career either. He's been around a long time, he's been thru a lot personally and professionally. Retiring and enjoying the rest of life and family would not surprise me at all at this point.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been advocating for the Packers to move on from Crosby for several years but with cap space being at an absolute premium and him struggling again last season now is the time to finally replace him with a cheaper kicker.
I volunteer!
Literally!
They won't have to pay me a dime since I have zero experience.
Well, except for that one time I kicked a football through the uprights for grins and gigs on a field using a T.
I think I was like 1 out of 15?
So if I can get do overs (Get that ref who gave the SB Rams a break) from 10 yards away or less, I'm your man!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will the Packers get a new kicker?
Will their quarter back return or will he be replaced by a new one?
Will Jason the waterboy finally work up the nerve to ask Jill the assistant equipment manager out on a date?
Will Aaron Rodgers ever find the right one to be with?
Where is Packy the dog and do we find out if he is really a she?
Is the tundra still frozen?
Tune in again real soon for As The Bay Turns Green.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was kind of a jerk and did have a falling out with his bandmates.
Perhaps it will be Stills, Nash and Young for a semi reunion?
Ohhhhhhhh....
Mason. Not David.
Sorry. My bad.

Last edited:

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason will be released before March 16th. The Packers need every dime of cap space and Mason is past his "sell by" date. He is certainly not worth a premium salary.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a Crosby supporter until about the middle of last season. I remember him kicking the walk off winner against the Niners in week 3, and I remember how confident Rodgers was when he moved the offense into position for a 50 yard kick. Crosby made it.

I don't know when, maybe it was after the terrible game he had in Cincinnati, I lost confidence any time he kicked, even on PATs. Maybe it's in his head, maybe it's age, maybe it's both. It's just time to move on and find a new kicker. I hate to say it cause I like Crosby. But eventually we all have to move on.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that people neglect in the stats is the distribution and the variables. The variables were a new holder (who had holding issues in Buffalo as well), a new snapper mid-season, and terrible blocking not just on the edges but up the middle as well. During that early to mid-season stretch of changes, he missed a kick in 6 of 8 games.

When you dig into the stats more, you see that after all of the dust settled Crosby went from Week 12 to Week 17 without missing a FG or PAT. He missed a PAT against the Lions which was his fault. The miss in the playoffs was a complete blocking breakdown.

On one hand I would be fine with moving on from Crosby if it helps the cap and we aren't going all-in with Rodgers one more time. However, don't fool yourselves. While Crosby deserves some heat for some of the misses, there was a lot stacked against him and when the rest of the FG/PAT team did its job correctly he was successful.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that people neglect in the stats is the distribution and the variables. The variables were a new holder (who had holding issues in Buffalo as well), a new snapper mid-season, and terrible blocking not just on the edges but up the middle as well. During that early to mid-season stretch of changes, he missed a kick in 6 of 8 games.

When you dig into the stats more, you see that after all of the dust settled Crosby went from Week 12 to Week 17 without missing a FG or PAT. He missed a PAT against the Lions which was his fault. The miss in the playoffs was a complete blocking breakdown.

On one hand I would be fine with moving on from Crosby if it helps the cap and we aren't going all-in with Rodgers one more time. However, don't fool yourselves. While Crosby deserves some heat for some of the misses, there was a lot stacked against him and when the rest of the FG/PAT team did its job correctly he was successful.
All the points you raise are good ones. The long snapper change mid-season was a disaster, and at least in the punt block against SF, the rusher went through him as if he wasn't there. The holding was suspect all season. In hindsight, it may not be worth saving a few million in cap to get an untested kicker in a year the team is aiming for a SB. Something to think about anyway. Crosby still lets misses get to him too much. Thanks.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the points you raise are good ones. The long snapper change mid-season was a disaster, and at least in the punt block against SF, the rusher went through him as if he wasn't there. The holding was suspect all season. In hindsight, it may not be worth saving a few million in cap to get an untested kicker in a year the team is aiming for a SB. Something to think about anyway. Crosby still lets misses get to him too much. Thanks.
I think the highlight is the operative portion and just more of the overall Catch-22. IF they're thinking Lombardi, they want to keep as much of the band together as possible, including a kicker who hasn't failed in tight spots as much as he's come thought, but that gets tougher and tougher. IF not, sure, start looking for your next long-term kicker while the new team gets its feet on the ground.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that some of the misses certainly did get into Crosby's head, but that might have affected any FG kicker who got inconsistent play from the guys he depends on to do his job correctly. Crosby rebounded after his worst season in 2012 and I feel like he deserves the chance to prove that he can do it again.

I recently listened to a Planet Money podcast about the highest paid but highly monotonous job....long snapping. One of the players they interviewed talked about how precise the snapping is, lining up exactly the same distance each time from the holder - unless it's cold in which case you "move" the line of scrimmage in order to correct for the ball not moving as fast in the cold. The preciseness also affects how many revolutions the ball makes so that the holder catches it with the laces facing the same direction each time, the speed for timing with the kicker, etc. It was poignant in relation to how crucial the snapper, holder, kicker relationship is to successful kicks, not to mention making sure that the blocking is solid. I learned a lot, even as a former long snapper/center!

There are noted Crosby detractors on this forum, and for good reason. He hasn't been a great kicker in terms of stats and has now had two terrible seasons in his career. However, he has mostly proven to be a clutch kicker when it counts (except against teams named the Bengals) and probably deserves a shot. He probably also should agree to a pay cut, because James Brown ain't paying a kings ransom to keep the band together.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the highlight is the operative portion and just more of the overall Catch-22. IF they're thinking Lombardi, they want to keep as much of the band together as possible, including a kicker who hasn't failed in tight spots as much as he's come thought, but that gets tougher and tougher. IF not, sure, start looking for your next long-term kicker while the new team gets its feet on the ground.
Yeah Half that's what I was thinking. They came so damn close this year, and El Guapo did a nice job of highlighting hurdles Crosby had to overcome. He makes way more than he misses, I think he's good buds with Rodgers and respected on the team and by most fans. Don't mess with that this year unless it really becomes a problem. I don't think it will. And cutting a kicker doesn't save a ton of cap.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts