Good Wisconsin Bowl Game.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
It was not pretty at times, it was not an offensive powerhouse game. But it was a great closely fought win for Wisconsin. It was also a very clean game, with few penalties called. Refs had an esay job except the Wisconsin TD run they said the runner's knee was down, but they got it right on the replay.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It was not pretty at times, it was not an offensive powerhouse game. But it was a great closely fought win for Wisconsin. It was also a very clean game, with few penalties called. Refs had an esay job except the Wisconsin TD run they said the runner's knee was down, but they got it right on the replay.
You mean the third down run at the end? That could have been called either way. The blown TD run was the step out of bounds that couldn't be seen from any camera angles shown. Game looked like Wisconsin def ran out of steam late in 3rd quarter. Was after 1am Wisconsin time by games end.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only caught the 1st half, well basically 2nd quarter because ESPN was showing A&M and whoever bowl game and I couldn't stream from app because apparently my Verizon log in was not working last night, but is today, so I missed the start and was too tired to watch the end.

I think the replay he's talking about was in the 1st half with Clement, the ball broke the plane before his elbow was down, but they called him down. They got it right with replay though. Unless another one happened in the 2nd half, I didn't see that.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot about Clement's run. At the end the Badger's needed a 1st down to ice the game and it was a judgment call on a 3rd and five that went for almost 5 yards depending on which sideline you supported. Look for the McElroy TD run that was blown dead. Badger's only long play I recall.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought the Badgers might get screwed again by the officials. The only camera angle they showed on McEvoy's long TD run was from the center of the field perspective (as opposed to down the sideline) and even so you could see green between his foot and the sideline. The ref who had a good angle still blew the whistle so it wasn't reviewable. For those who didn't see the game, check out LB Jack Cichy on this series. USC started with the ball on the 50 yard line and three consecutive sacks by Cichy put 'em back on their 21 to punt. Cichy also caused an INT by affecting the flight of the ball on USC's second to last drive. He sat out the first half because of a helmet to helmet hit in the Gofers game. It probably wouldn't have been that close if he would have played the first half.
Three consecutive sacks: http://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/924418

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Cichy was a beast, he also made the hit on the QB that caused the interception. Although ESPN awarded him the "Player of the Game", I think that award should have gone to Stave. Stave played a really nice game, made some tough throws and being able to go back in there with what appeared to be a broken nose....is what saved the game for the Badgers. Very entertaining game, despite refs who not only missed a few obvious calls, but could not seem to mark the ball properly. Can't tell you how many times they misplaced the ball. The blown whistle on McEvoy's TD run was almost a crushing blow. Just drives me nuts when refs blow a whistle too early and create a situation where the play could have gone on and then been reviewed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree Stave had a very good game. Like many/most Badgers fans I've been ******* him but he really showed up last night. One INT by him and they probably don't win that game.

Alvarez endorsed Chryst's first season as HC before the bowl game. I particularly liked this quote:
"Really a 10-win season," he said. "They scored at the end in that Northwestern game. I don't give a (expletive) what anybody says.
And I hope this is true:
"I always knew he was a good football coach," Alvarez said. "He is a good Xs and Os guy. He loves that. If there is anything that has surprised me it is what a tireless recruiter he is. He works hard at recruiting. He is thorough. He is going to look at every kid. He is going to approve every kid. That is something people don't know. He is going to make sure they can get into school and he is going to grade them. He is going to approve the tape before they offer the kid."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badg...rysts-first-season-b99641343z1-363789251.html

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Paul Chryst seems to be one of those down to earth, no BS, no flash straight up kind up guys. Some kids/parents may prefer the polished Urban Meyer types, but it is my hope that enough blue chip recruits see Chryst as the coach/man he seems to be, one who has their backs on and off the field.

I had to chuckle when I saw Chryst take the field last night in his "one size fits all" Holiday Bowl Sweatshirt.....Bielema would have still been in the locker room primping and making sure his tailored sweat suit looked just perfect.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Cichy, cause he did have one of the best defensive performances in a bowl game I've seen for the Badgers (and we did have a guy named J.J. Watt play in a couple of those) but I'm not sure everything would have fell like they did if he played the first half. He appeared to come in the second half with a pent up fury after sitting out as well as sporting some fresh legs.

After all, the guy had two career sacks coming into the game and was mostly an afterthought for the WI LB's who have first team All-American Vince Biegel as well as fourth team All-American Joe Schobert that I'm sure USC spent a lot of time (all their time?) game planning against. These guys can certainly open things up for other players and I think that's just what happened as Cichy's first two sacks he is clearly not even blocked.

Regardless, the future is bright in Madison and I look forward to Barry paying Aranda his well deserved raise this offseason to keep him from hopping on somewhere else as a lateral move. *Looking at you announcers who kept hinting the move to USC last night:mad:* Though it's hard not to see bigger and brighter things in this guy's future at some point.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't take anything away from Cichy. After the first sack they were on notice and didn't stop him. After the second sack they were on notice and didn't stop him. And he hit the QB's arm (or the ball) causing an INT on their second to last possession.

Unfortunately Aranda took the LSU DC job to double his salary to about $1M and of course the Badgers open next season vs. LSU at Lambeau...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Badgers Defense will really miss Aranda. That guy is on a fast track to a high level position somewhere. Amazing what he did with some really average players. The Bo Ryan of Badger Football IMO.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
An update on Aranda: It's been reported that he made a little more than $500K at Wisconsin and he will make $1.3M at LSU. It's tough enough for Wisconsin to compete with some football schools because of higher academic standards, not being competitive in salaries for assistant coaches really hurts. Particularly one as outstanding as Aranda.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must have been watching a different game. It was not a clean game at all. USC committed a ridiculous amount of penalties that did not get called. The officiating was atrocious.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The officiating was atrocious.

Totally agree with you. Missed/blown calls, poorly spotted balls all night long. I thought it was because I was tired being up that late, but rewatched the game and saw the same thing.

Staff online

Latest posts