Good news: more bad news for the Grape Apes

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This could be good for us in a couple ways.
Number one, the Vikings losing Sidney Rice, who's great.
Number two, he's better than James Jones so it's another guy who goes higher or before Jones does. Might help us keep Jones (which is a good thing despite his bad drops).

News item: Sidney Rice to roam free.
Bad news for the Vikings, if and when free agency happens -- and assuming unsigned players will be unrestricted free-agents after four or five years. Rice has four seasons of accredited service with the Vikings, and it's very likely that when a new CBA happens, unrestricted free agency will revert to the original rules -- if you're not franchise- or transition-tagged when unsigned after four or five years, you're free. When Adam Schefter reported Sunday Rice would definitely test the open market before he signs with anyone, it meant the Vikings would very likely be playing without Rice this year. If there is a this year, of course.

Minnesota chose to franchise linebacker Chad Greenway and do nothing with Rice, meaning Rice, who turns 25 Sept. 1, will enter a crowded wide-receiver free-agent market led by Santonio Holmes (Jets), Steve Smith (Giants), James Jones (Packers) and Braylon Edwards (Jets). Rice would be the lead guy in the field because of his age, assuming there's no negative carry-over from the 2010 hip surgery that ruined his season.

I don't like what this portends for the Vikings. A rebuilding offense needs receivers who can help a developing quarterback, and losing a 6-4 emerging star (again, provided he's healthy) would be a big blow. There will be plenty of young, interested teams with cap room -- Tampa Bay and Kansas City at the head of the pack -- if there's a cap, as most people assume there will be in a new labor landscape. He'd be a perfect young catch for the Patriots too. It doesn't make sense for Rice to go back to an uncertain future if he can go somewhere with a solid quarterback on a team that's not rebuilding.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't need Rice. Why pay $5+ mil for a guy we don't need. I'd rather draft a 3rd rounder who's just as physically gifted like Terrance Tolliver. We'll need all the $ we can save once AR and CM contracts are up.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know TT will go with a young guy instead of signing an expensive, vested vet. That is what he does and it works.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, but it would be sticking it to the Viqueens for all the years they've poached and signed ex-/Packer players plus he's a pretty good return man.

Cheesehead Brittany

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets see... a proven guy who is still young... or a guy who has proven to drop half of the balls thrown to him... or a complete wildcard rookie...

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won't even be the leading receiver considering he'll be 2x teamed. Remember Rodgers throws to WHOEVER is open, he doesn't lock on to one receiver. It'll be a major bust if Rice doesn't get over 1,110 yds if we give him market price of probably around $7-9 mil a year. It's not worth it guys. We need to resign Rodgers and Matthews coming years, WR is not a need when we have an accurate QB who doesn't throw jump balls.

CSchw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets see... a proven guy who is still young... or a guy who has proven to drop half of the balls thrown to him... or a complete wildcard rookie...

Yeah, it'd be poetic having their #1 WR in our core of guys. They got two years out of Favre, they'd be seeing Sid Rice two times a year for the next half decade.

I don't think that TT will go out and spend the cash on him, but it would be pretty awesome.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we should drop james jones and get sidney
If I had a nickel everytime drop and James Jones was in the same sentence . . .

Very unlikely for TT to sign Rice. But we now have the attraction of being the best opportunity to get a SB ring, maybe he would take less to play with us. I would like it - but not sure what kind of 'locker room' guy Sydney is.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a great player, one of the best in the NFL.
But sitting out the year, chosing not to play and faking injury? That wouldn't fly in here.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we go with the "Proven guy over an unproven rookie" nonsense.

First- Rice had ONE good season in his entire career. One, which coincidentally enough happens to be the season when the planets mostly aligned for the Vikings. Everyone had a good season that year. Prior to the 2009 miracle season, Rice had 46 catches for 537 yards in two seasons, combined. He played 13 games in each of those seasons.

Sidney Rice: Career Stats at NFL.com

Second, winning championships without Vikings on our roster is the best way to stick it to the Vikings. Especially when you consider they choked away their chance last year, and we won the Super Bowl THIS year, with Aaron Rodgers and NOT Brett Favre.

Third, his agent is Drew Rosenhaus. That should be self explanatory.

Finally, we don't need to sign him, especially to a high dollar contract. Jordy Nelson can easily replace James Jones, Brett Swain will become the #4 and new guy will be #5, unless he proves better. That's the way we do it, that's the formula that works and there's no reason to change.

So in summary- Rice having one good season doesn't make him proven. Our way works. Why mess with it?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have the 2nd highest payroll in the league. were not signing any top FAs.

Let chicago get suckered into paying him a bunch of money. I would rather they buy a wr than an oline. or a younger D.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worried about our payroll. I think it's artificially high due to having to sign 15 guys in free agency while still paying for those who went to IR.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worried about our payroll. I think it's artificially high due to having to sign 15 guys in free agency while still paying for those who went to IR.

devoting $30 million to ILBs is an issue though. It wont be when Hawk is gone.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In an article before the Super Bowl, Holmgren was quoted saying when he, Thompson and Reinfeldt were in Seattle they agreed on about 90% of their personnel decisions. But on occasion when Holmgren would suggest filling a hole with a vet free agent, Thompson would invariably say, 'I can find better in the draft'. Thompson doesn't have to "sell" that idea to anyone anymore and we've just seen the results. The Packers' roster is stocked with young talented players who fit the schemes and fit into the locker room and will have to be extended over the next few seasons. Whenever I see the idea of the Packers acquiring a vet UFA, the first thing that comes to mind is, 'I'll bet Thompson thinks he can find better in the draft.'

Add to that Thompson seems particularly good at identifying WR talent in the draft - I include Terrence Murphy from his first Packers draft in the mix. I thought he looked great before his career-ending injury.

BTW, in that article Holmgren also said he thought that trio comprised the best front office in the league. My immediate reaction reading that was 'sure - you poached Thompson and Reinfeldt from the Packers!!'

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
of course with the exception of 2009 rice had mediocre stats. look who was throwin to him.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kdgy47ZagU]YouTube - #18 Sidney Rice - Minnesota Vikings highlights hd[/ame]

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course with the exception of 2009 rice had mediocre stats. look who was throwin to him.

So what. Michael Crabtree played in 27 games in his first two seasons and had a combined 103 catches for 1366 yards with Alex Smith throwing to him.

If Rice was that good, he would elevate the play of his QB. Simple fact is the guy is an under-achiever not worth having on our squad, especially when there's someone with more upside potential in the draft.

Latest posts