good game guys...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikes will probably have Rice back by then as well. So it should make for an interesting match up. Rice, Harvin, Moss, Shiancoe and Peterson in the Backfield.

As to the Packers run D. They need to work on it some more. The Jets have to RB's that can kill you.

Last I heard, Rice was off crutches, but still experiencing a bit of pain and discomfort. That was a couple weeks ago though, so I dunno if things have changed there or not. You guys would certainly be potent with him in the backfield again. I think your biggest issue will be who's taking the snaps. Brett can get a shot allowing him to play with the ankle, but if he continues to play poorly, does Chilly have the stones to bench him and can Tarvaris get it done?

I agree our run defense needs to be better. Having Jenkins and Pickett out at the last minute and filling the holes with our backup right tackle has a huge impact on our ability to defend against the run. Hopefully we can game plan a little better this weekend.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Last I heard, Rice was off crutches, but still experiencing a bit of pain and discomfort. That was a couple weeks ago though, so I dunno if things have changed there or not. You guys would certainly be potent with him in the backfield again. I think your biggest issue will be who's taking the snaps. Brett can get a shot allowing him to play with the ankle, but if he continues to play poorly, does Chilly have the stones to bench him and can Tarvaris get it done?

I agree our run defense needs to be better. Having Jenkins and Pickett out at the last minute and filling the holes with our backup right tackle has a huge impact on our ability to defend against the run. Hopefully we can game plan a little better this weekend.
Does Chilly have the stones? Good question. Many Viking fans are thinking the same thing right now. Many are comparing Favre to Jacksons 2007-08 games. Jackson was actually better during that stretch than Brett has been so far this year. I think you will see Brett for at least the first series in New England. IF, he shows any sign that the ankle is bothering him, I think Chilly takes him out. But we shall see.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other factor in the Favre saga (Can we call it a saga yet?) is the extra $6 Million they offered him to return. I don't know how much of that was guaranteed (I think $3M or so), but If I were Zygi and I gave a guy that kind of bonus, I wouldn't want his *** on the bench.

Out of curiosity, how do you think the Vikings will fare in the coming years knowing almost half of the veteran free agents you have won't be able to be re-signed?

Here's a run down of notable contracts expiring this year, according to http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractsmin.php:

• Brett Favre
  • Tarvaris Jackson
  • Randy Moss
  • Sydney Rice
  • Greg Lewis
  • Ray Edwards
  • Brian Robison
  • Pat Williams
  • Chad Greenway
  • Ben Leber
  • Erin Henderson
  • Lito Shepphard
  • Ryan Longwell

There's some other not so notable names on the list, like Eric Frampton, Ryan Cook, Naufahu Tahi and Husain Abdullah

The Vikings have a ton of draft picks that can be used for trades. I doubt Philly keeps both Michael Vick or Kevin Kolb, so I can see you making a trade there if the feeling is Tarvaris Jackson isn't ready to take over. I don't think Moss will return without Favre, and it really feels like Favre is going to be done after this year.

Anyway, what say you?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Just my thoughts on what I think they will do. But this is based on not knowing anything about the next CBA.

• Brett Favre - Retired. He's done.
  • Tarvaris Jackson - Resigned for about $3 million a year or gone, personally I think he wants out.
  • Randy Moss - Gone
  • Sydney Rice - Resigned. For how much? Depends on how he plays when he gets back
  • Greg Lewis - Gone
  • Ray Edwards - Wants to test Free market, they'll let him.
  • Brian Robison - resigned, fairly cheap. Can take Edwards place no problem.
  • Pat Williams - Retired
  • Chad Greenway - Resigned fairly good money.
  • Ben Leber - Gone if he wants to much.
  • Erin Henderson - Won't make as much as his big brother EJ.
  • Lito Shepphard - Gone
  • Ryan Longwell - Tough one. I think they let him walk. While great at FG's his KO have been getting shorter.
I don't see them bringing in Vick, Kolb or McNabb. If Jackson leaves, they'll sign some veteran QB and try for a young QB to work on, ie:Joe Webb. Frampton is a great on SP. Tahi. Will probably be gone. Abdullah will stick.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so down on TJack. He took most of the frist team reps in the preseason and during training camp. I don't think he is going to be off the chain awesome, but he might surprise some people. He has a big chip on his shoulder because of his perspective with the whole Favre saga. I'm sure he wants out of Minnesota, so I wouldn't be suprised if he came out with his guns blazing, trying to make an impression for the off season. That being said, he could still make some mistakes or bomb terribly. I just don't think he can be written off because he is a backup or because of how he played 2 years ago.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts