Good Defensive coaches that have become Head coaches....

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Defensive coaches that have become Head coaches have had Problems. there are a list of them that have failed and returned to what they do best. A few have gone on and done great things but that is usually not the norm. "Offensive" minded have faired better.

Jim Bates name gets thrown into the ring for H.C. position a lot on this forum but would that actually be a better move for the team? Lets look at some recent move to head coach and back.

Ray Rhodes- back to D(had some great Packers defenses but could not HC

**** Jauron- back to D

Dave Wanstedt- after leading Dallas's D to Super Bowls, Never really made it
and Norv Turner, Dallas offensive co-ord never made it either, it should be noted.

Tony Dungy had great defenses with Minnesota and Tampa but lacked at having D at Indy when made HC up til this year

I'm quite sure there are other comparisons out there that you folks will come up with. What I'm saying is, when a ball club moves a guy up, it's not always the better thing and then the defence is not as dominate for the Head Coach can no longer give total commitment to one side of the ball and also the defensive reins are handed to sombody else.

Defence wins Championships and I would rather have the best coaching it exclusively and have an Offensive minded HC. One that also knows the importance of the O-line for it also Starts there.

Give Sherman and Bates 1 more year together with a healthy Team, shore up the o-line, let Thompson take out the trash and have a good(high #) draft, have a little x-tra money to spend(might be gettin rid of some large contracts and (sorry)not offering too much to current players up for xtentions or FA). The D will have played 1 full year under Bates and WILL get better. Bates now fully knows what he has and will be giving Ted his "wish list".

As for some people calling this that a time to "rebuild" is nonsense because Teams now-a-days are always in some kind of "rebuilding" what with free agency and cuts and all. I hear all teams turn over a certain % of their personal every year. The days of rebuilding over a quite of few years are gone(unless you are the Bears). One Team can turn it around and end up in the Superbowl in 1 year now, but they do have to have a core or playmakers on the feild to make that happen.

You can change some of the non- core players and positions from year to year and not hurt the team that year, But changing Head, Offensive, and Defensive coaches, takes at least 2 years to take hold. Favre will not wait that long nor does he disire a change.

just my :twocents:

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rossely goes I say give Sherman one more year. Otherwise Sherman and Rossely should go.

Reaction score
I have no problem with Rossely the person. I just can't stand Rossely the OC. Honestly, I think MS should move on without Rossely. But knowing MS, he will not fire his best friend after one year failure for the O. The only way I see Rossely going is if he resigns. Then, I am all for hiring Mooch as the next OC. Could you imagine what that would be like?!!!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sherman will never get rid of his "pet hump" Rossley.....

(or is it the other way around...?)

OP
OP
C

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O.K.

Then Mike Sherman: Head Coach

Offensive Co-Ordinator: Steve Mariucchi

Defensive Co-Ordinatoer: Jim Bates

Q.B. Brett Favre

The rest of the positions let Thompson shore up.

The Packers Organization have to give this a shot or simular chance.
but nothing drastic or deviate what Bretts used to. Plus 1 more reciever.
Hey It's Christmas and we can wish now can We).

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheesehog...

(With a little editing..this is a much better scenario...)

Head Coach Steve Mariucchi

Q.B. Brett Favre

SherRossley: Unemployment Line.....

OP
OP
C

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Cheesehog...

(With a little editing..this is a much better scenario...)

Head Coach Steve Mariucchi

Q.B. Brett Favre

SherRossley: Unemployment Line.....

P@ck66, who do you like for Offensive Co-ord?

OP
OP
C

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also wonder who Brett would like to see in those positions. He has stated he does NOT want to learn a new system.( more or less changing the names of plays)

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Musscy...

HAve YOU been watching the Packers this year?

Still doesn't explain the Mooch obsession.

We already know about your anti-sherman obsession

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually prefer a former offensive coordinator to be head coach, but it's case-by-case. Wasn't Bill Bellichick a defensive coach? I know Tom Landry was. I'm thinking Parcells may have been a defensive guy too, but I'm not sure. I liked the Colts' hiring of Tony Dungy because they already had the talent in place on offense, and they needed a coach who could build the defense, which Dungy is doing.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66

like obi1 said, how does your response explain ppl's fascination w/ Mariucci. What has mooch done lately to justify him as a top candidate if MS were fired?

Members online

Latest posts