Good article on Thompson

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great article about TT. Great read for those that understand how good TT has been and even for his naysayers. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9524561/bill-barnwell-ted-thompson-influence-nfl

Interesting note about his FA tactic - the Packers and the Steelers are the least involved teams in free agency. Both are considered to be some of the best run franchises in the sport.

It also notes his signing extensions of key players like Rodgers and Jordy, which saved the team millions. I think the favorite part of the Jordy deal to me is that the Bears resigned Earl Bennett a couple months after Jordy's deal to a RICHER deal. Earl Bennett makes more than Jordy!

Do you agree with the final take, though, that Schneider has already surpassed him with the core he's built in Seattle?

Seattle: Wilson, Lynch, Harvin (though, that deal could turn disasterous with his injury history), Okung, Earl Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor ... (help me out, I know I'm missing some).
GB: Rodgers, Jordy, Cobb, Finley (for now), Sitton, Bulaga (??), Clay, Raji, Hawk (KIDDING), Hayward, Shields, Burnett

I mean, I know I'm a homer, but I still think our overall core is better. And if not, pretty darn equal. Plus, Seattle gets the huge benefit of getting to pay Wilson nothing for the next two years before it has to extend him. That cannot be underappreciated when deciding how to build a team.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But didn't Thompson come from the Ron Wolf tree?

Thompson has stated that he believes the more swings you get at the plate the better are your chances. The article says much the same thing.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you agree with the final take, though, that Schneider has already surpassed him with the core he's built in Seattle?

I dunno. That Harvin trade is looking pretty stupid at the moment.

It's a nice advantage to have a very good QB working for next to nothing. That will be a nice edge for Seattle over the next couple years...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle: Wilson, Lynch, Harvin (though, that deal could turn disasterous with his injury history), Okung, Earl Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor ... (help me out, I know I'm missing some).
GB: Rodgers, Jordy, Cobb, Finley (for now), Sitton, Bulaga (??), Clay, Raji, Hawk (KIDDING), Hayward, Shields, Burnett
Here's one problem: They have Okung, the 1st round OT.
We have Derek Sherrod..... that's just bad luck, not fair.
We also should have Nick Collins.

Percy Harvin would have to retire from his hip injury to even though one out. Or big mouth Richard Sherman or Earl Thomas, to even out Collins.
And Okung would need his RT to let the OLB come around and break his leg in 2 places.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, whatever. Seattle is a good team and I won't wish injuries on an team or player.

The author wrote a pretty good article describing Thompson's success. I've always been a big believer in playing the odds with more players drafted into the competition versus blowing our *** on "great" prospects. It's hit and miss and the odds favor quantity vs quality.

One of the key aspects of Thompson's success that wasn't properly addressed was his success at drafting. He not only acquires extra picks, but he's more successful than most and finding players that will contribute to the team. One could say that it's a product of his scouting and personnel staff, but one way or another he makes more right choices than wrong.

I'd love to see Thompson have even more success through trades and free agency, but the guy may know his own limitations and weaknesses better than the rest of us. I'm content with Super Bowls and division championships. I want more but I'm more than happy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The article says
The masterstroke was signing Charles Woodson... He made four All-Pro teams, and went from being considered a borderline draft bust to a player who seems likely to receive a Canton bust. It's one of the best signings in the history of free agency

BEST???? I am not sure I ever thought of it that way...

Most would say Reggie, but I think Woodson is right there, maybe even better? Mostly because he seemed to just get better and better each year...And maybe even had more of an impact than Reggie as a whole..

Reggie had great moments Elway sack in Gb on a Sunday night with everyone chanting Reggie..And the SB sacks..But Chuck seemed to do it more?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the "best" comment comes from the difference in trajectory. Everyone knew that Reggie White was the star and darling of the first free agency period. We landed him and were rewarded. The difference is that NOBODY wanted Woodson except for TT in GB.

We could argue all day about who had a greater impact on defense, who was the better leader, who contributed most to winning the Lombardi Trophy, but there is no argument about who came in with higher expectations and who went from rags to riches.

That's the author's point. TT saw gold in the trash when others saw a cheesecurd covered with ketchup. Wolf paid market price for a gold bar and got gold bar value.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie had great moments Elway sack in Gb on a Sunday night with everyone chanting Reggie..And the SB sacks..But Chuck seemed to do it more?
I WAS THERE!
I couldn't remember if it was a Sunday nighter or a Thursday nighter... I know it was the old TBS or TNT night games.... and I remember it was Sterling who was the King Sharpe, not Shannon.
I also know it was the old Broncos uniforms, and I also wore the funny presidents mask of Slick Bill CLinton, Bubba, before the game at the tailgating parties..... got all kinds of Monica/Cigar jokes from folks so it was about that Lewinsky time...... good times.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And so it continues on........ here's an update, a new article touching on Thompson's recent work and style.

comments can be made here after reading.... > http://packersinsider.com/?p=6247

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ehind-by-nfl-elite-b99180633z1-239781131.html

Thompson has made his share of outstanding picks in the draft. It's his area of expertise, and his drafting record over the years is better than the norm.

Last year, Thompson went blithely along with McCarthy on the idea that Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman were capable backups when everyone in America knew that they weren't. Given Vince Young's mental limitations, his signing Aug. 5 made no sense, either.

The pipeline from Thompson to the defense has all but dried up after the draft-day trade for Clay Matthews in 2009. That has placed undue burden on Capers, but as someone regarded by many in football as a top-five to top-10 coordinator it's incumbent upon him to perform better than this.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While Woodson was a great acquisition, IMO Reggie’s signing was more important and had a greater impact because his choosing to come to Green Bay not only made it OK for other UFAs to come to Green Bay but for some to want to come. IOW, Reggie’s decision elevated the Packers in other players’ eyes around the league so Reggie’s signing had more impact beyond just his play on the field. Also Reggie was an immediate bone fide leader while Woodson grew into that role. White’s signing occurred very early in Wolf’s tenure in Green Bay, about 1 1/2 years after he took over in Green Bay. Wolf had already acquired his franchise QB and with White’s signing he acquired the foundation the D would be built upon. About four “short” years later…

But both had a huge impact on the field. Both are HOFs but IMO White’s signing, after the two decades long “dark ages” was had more impact.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Woodson was a great acquisition, IMO Reggie’s signing was more important and had a greater impact because his choosing to come to Green Bay not only made it OK for other UFAs to come to Green Bay but for some to want to come. IOW, Reggie’s decision elevated the Packers in other players’ eyes around the league so Reggie’s signing had more impact beyond just his play on the field. Also Reggie was an immediate bone fide leader while Woodson grew into that role. White’s signing occurred very early in Wolf’s tenure in Green Bay, about 1 1/2 years after he took over in Green Bay. Wolf had already acquired his franchise QB and with White’s signing he acquired the foundation the D would be built upon. About four “short” years later…

But both had a huge impact on the field. Both are HOFs but IMO White’s signing, after the two decades long “dark ages” was had more impact.

The quote didn't say the best, just one of the best. While Reggie is likely the greatest FA acquisition I doubt anyone would disagree with Woodson being say top 5.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one problem: They have Okung, the 1st round OT.
We have Derek Sherrod..... that's just bad luck, not fair.
We also should have Nick Collins.

Percy Harvin would have to retire from his hip injury to even though one out. Or big mouth Richard Sherman or Earl Thomas, to even out Collins.
And Okung would need his RT to let the OLB come around and break his leg in 2 places.

That's a good post, our Defense would have looked radically different with Nick Collins back there. Personally I think the trio of Rodgers Collins and Matthews was a far better talent base than anything Seattle or San Francisco had.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The quote didn't say the best, just one of the best. While Reggie is likely the greatest FA acquisition I doubt anyone would disagree with Woodson being say top 5.
My post was responding to LTF and El Guapo, not the article. I can think of a couple of posters (who may, or may not still be posting here) who would disagree Woodson was in the top 5, but he's a lock for the HOF and helped the team win a title so he's got to be one of the all-time best UFA acquisitions IMO.

Dsm Packaholic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article. The 2 least active teams in free agency are both sitting at home today watching the playoffs. The Packers best defensive player of the last decade was also a free agent.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what I take away from this article? That our front office when we built our core was REALLY good, not so sure that's the case anymore with all these front office losses. Hopefully TT is building back up the scouting department but our last few drafts haven't added much outside Cobb, Daniels and Lacy. Admittedly that's three very good players but a team that relies so heavily on the draft needs more than three great players over three years.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Favre showed up on a plane and started a stupid circus for no reason, I've been as big and staunch of a Thompson supporter as you will find. However, as of now, me thinking of him in a very high, positive light - those times are dwindling fast. Sorry, but it's all on him. Every time I see a "fire Dom Capers" thread, I merely turn the other way, it's so ridiculous. Capers and the coaching staff, are only as good as what they're given to work with. Since the BJ Raji and Clay Matthews picks, Ted's draft picks on defense, have been pretty much an overall colossal disaster. At this point, I'm not even sure he could get it right in free agency on defense. As bad as this defense has gotten, the only thing that isn't Ted's fault, is Nick Collins getting hurt.

It isn't coaching, it's the subpar talent on the field. Every single team in the NFL can pretty much complete passes on us to the flanker wideout, in the flat, over the middle, you name it. We see it every single week. The run defense is respectable at times, but that may even be generous. Unless Ted nails every defensive pick in the 2014 draft, I think we're in trouble. Look at the weapons that every other NFC North team has on offense these days. If we don't fix this defense, we're gonna fall even further behind. Go ahead and sling arrows at me, but I don't think my observations are that far-fetched.

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Favre showed up on a plane and started a stupid circus for no reason, I've been as big and staunch of a Thompson supporter as you will find. However, as of now, me thinking of him in a very high, positive light - those times are dwindling fast. Sorry, but it's all on him. Every time I see a "fire Dom Capers" thread, I merely turn the other way, it's so ridiculous. Capers and the coaching staff, are only as good as what they're given to work with. Since the BJ Raji and Clay Matthews picks, Ted's draft picks on defense, have been pretty much an overall colossal disaster. At this point, I'm not even sure he could get it right in free agency on defense. As bad as this defense has gotten, the only thing that isn't Ted's fault, is Nick Collins getting hurt.

It isn't coaching, it's the subpar talent on the field. Every single team in the NFL can pretty much complete passes on us to the flanker wideout, in the flat, over the middle, you name it. We see it every single week. The run defense is respectable at times, but that may even be generous. Unless Ted nails every defensive pick in the 2014 draft, I think we're in trouble. Look at the weapons that every other NFC North team has on offense these days. If we don't fix this defense, we're gonna fall even further behind. Go ahead and sling arrows at me, but I don't think my observations are that far-fetched.

No, you're absolutely right, the problems on defense are mostly deficient personnel, and that falls 100% on Thompson.

I still have faith in Thompson's drafting abilities, but he really needs to break out of this slump in picking defenders really quick .

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, you're absolutely right, the problems on defense are mostly deficient personnel, and that falls 100% on Thompson.

I still have faith in Thompson's drafting abilities, but he really needs to break out of this slump in picking defenders really quick .

I have faith in his drafting abilities, too. But the fact is ... his refusal to participate in free agency on any relevant level, causes one huge problem and that is - when his draft picks don't pan out, he has no one to replace that player. This is why Ron Wolf used free agency extremely well. Besides R. White, he brought in guys like Santana Dotson, Andre Rison, Keith Jackson, Sean Jones, etc. Wolf sure as hell didn't teach Ted to be draft and develop only - that's all on Ted.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But it's unreasonable to expect TT's picks to develop that quickly. Most players take until their second and third year to "get it." This is true even of the best players in football. Rodgers wasn't ready until 2007, Jordy Nelson did nothing until his 3rd year, Haloti Ngata was just a solid contributor until his second and third seasons. fans need to chill out and give guys like Datone Jones and Perry time to grow and learn.

Edit: the last few years have not favored an aggressive approach in Free Agency, not with pay days pending for Matthews and Rodgers. You lock up your starts first and then if there's money left over then you dabble in Free Agency. Perhaps this offseason will see a more aggressive Ted Thompson, even still I think locking up Shields is the priority. I want to see Ted Thompson grab some talented hard playing underachievers.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson and Reggie were both great signings. Now, take a look at free agent signings around the NFL. VERY VERY few end up as home run signings like those two. That's just a fact. Even if a signing looks decent on face value, look closely at it and usually it's a negative.

A perfect example of the "normal" status quo free agent signing is Peppers in Chicago. This is exactly how 90% of free agent signings end up. Now the Bears are on the hook for his remaining contract, he's been grossly underperforming...and most importantly, they are starting from square one now at that position instead of having somebody growing skills at the position! Bears fans, as is often the case with NFL fans, almost have no problem at all that they're pizzing millions away of salary cap space by most likely, letting him walk now!

Bottom line... free agent signings can work out but it's got to be the right situation. History proves that big name big contract signings don't pay off most of the time.

Members online

Latest posts