Good article on the Patriots

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like Belichick. AT ALL. But I have never had a problem with teams "running up the score." If the other team doesn't like it, then stop them from doing it. Its that simple.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like Belichick. AT ALL. But I have never had a problem with teams "running up the score." If the other team doesn't like it, then stop them from doing it. Its that simple.

I agree with this. There is no such thing as running up the score. It's professional football.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the way i see it. If you are up 38 to 0 in the forth quarter, i have no problem with runs and short passes to keep the other team's offense off the field. But if your starting QB has been taken out because you have the game in hand, then i think throwing long passes or bringing your starting QB back in to embarrass your opponent shows NO class.
Is it wrong? Nope. But i think it shows poor sportsmanship.
Now......the Redskins coach said he had no problem with it. Who here truely believes that? I don't......not for a second. I think he will be sure to file that away for future reference. Payback is a you-know-what.
And I also believe other teams are watching this, and if given the chance, may just retaliate if given the chance.
Now........what would Belicheat do if he had brought Tom Brady back in after he had that huge lead, and Brady got seriously hurt? I'm NOT condoning anyone trying to hurt another player on purpose, but i can see a team that has been humiliated on the field going after Brady or another of their "star" players for running up the score. Just so i'm clear, if it were me, i would NOT want my team to go after the other guys because of that, but some of those coaches and players don't appreciate being shown up, and may just do something like that.
Thats just my opinion of course, for what it's worth.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just in - NFL rules committee considering "mercy rule" similar to softball. If you're up by more than 50 points at the start of the 4th QTR the game is called.

I have no problem with them playing and scoring as long and as much as they can. People there paid to see professional football - they should at least see it from one team!!

If the Pats players were "getting in the face" of the Redskins that wouldn't be good sportsmanship although I didn't see that. The coaches send the players onto the field and the players run the plays the coaches call. Short run or deep pass - what do you want them to do take 4 knees and hand the ball back?

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think they were trying to get a psychological edge for next week as well. Imagine you are the Colts and have seen the Patriots rolling the way they have. Even if I were undefeated, intimidation would surface I think if not just a little.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with the way the NFL is set-up you have to run up scores when you get the chance. Even though Patriots have been a dynasty for many years, success goes in cycles, you have to enjoy it while you can, especially in a 16-game season. It's not like this is baseball or basketball and they are running up scores in game 55 of a 100 game season. It's only this season where Pats have been able to put these huge scores on anyway, remember their superbowl seasons they only just got across the line?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like most people here, I don't care if a professional sports team runs up the score. I agree with Clayton that Bellichick is doing it out of spite. He's not a classy guy, but oh well, what're you gonna do?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just in - NFL rules committee considering "mercy rule" similar to softball. If you're up by more than 50 points at the start of the 4th QTR the game is called.

I have no problem with them playing and scoring as long and as much as they can. People there paid to see professional football - they should at least see it from one team!!

If the Pats players were "getting in the face" of the Redskins that wouldn't be good sportsmanship although I didn't see that. The coaches send the players onto the field and the players run the plays the coaches call. Short run or deep pass - what do you want them to do take 4 knees and hand the ball back?
Like i said..........if there's alot of time left on the clock, by all means try to get first downs and whatever to keep the other team off the field. And i personally have nothing against running up the score. I'm just saying then, that they better not be surprised if someone takes offense to it and trys to do something in retaliation. Remember back in 1996, when Dallas had us beat with 6 fieldgoals? They were up 18-6 and the game was just about over. Then Dallas went for and got the 7th fieldgoal. Reggie White was MAD!!! Dallas said they did it so their kicker could share the record of 7 fieldgoals. Me, i thought it showed no class. But thats just me i guess.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Like most people here, I don't care if a professional sports team runs up the score. I agree with Clayton that Bellichick is doing it out of spite. He's not a classy guy, but oh well, what're you gonna do?

Just wait, someone is going to get hurt from the Pats and then Billy Boy will start the whinning that they took them out.. say Brady goes down clutching a knee or a shoulder..

Again, the only problem I had was the classless 4th down play.. kick the FG and move on..

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Belicheck is intentionally bringing about these criticisms to foster an us-against-them mentality. It's the theme for his season.

This started with the Patriots being found guilty of cheating, and now Belicheck is intentionally bringing further criticism on the team so it will have a beleaguered mentality.

There is also the intimidation factor.

This is a very clever way to make a team that is massively favored to win it all feel put-upon and disrespected.

Members online

Latest posts