Good article about the relationship between Rodgers/Favre

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/gunslinger-brett-favre-aaron-rodgers-feud-jeff-pearlman-excerpt/

Please delete if already posted . I couldn't find it anywhere.

Though there are things in here that don't paint Brett in a great light either, after reading this I'm starting to get a little more understanding of why Brett didn't really like Aaron and didn't really want to take him under his wing .

'Good morning, Grandpa?' Seriously Aaron?

Rodgers has disputed that the story is accurate though.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...rodgers-disputes-gunslinger-excerpt/92799904/

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good perspective, although Pearlman is insistent on the accuracy of his side too.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but there's definitely a big difference in the locker room between a joking 'Hello grandpa!' between two long time teammates who give each other a hard time all the time, and the same comment from a brand new rookie meeting a HOF caliber quarterback .

My guess is that it wasn't the first thing he said to him and he was joking, but he probably said it sooner than he should have.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Label this "When 2 Ego's collide". Aaron no doubt came to GB with a slight chip on his shoulder to begin with and why not? He was a potential #1 pick that thankfully slid all the way to Green Bay at #24. Not only a blow to his ego but a substantial hit to his wallet. Meanwhile Favre is "the man" in GB and is probably a little shocked to see the Packers already picking his replacement by using a #1 on a QB and not an offensive weapon he may have felt he needed at the time. Given the history of each of their personalities at Green Bay, it's easy to understand why they both came into camp that first year with an eye on the other and not knowing what the future held. What happened after that was just human nature of what happens when 2 strong willed people are competing for the same job. Both guys can be team players, but I think they both like it when their teammates look up at them.....not across or down.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Favre nor Rodgers were directly interviewed for the book, although Pearlman apparently interviewed 250-300 people, including long conversations with Bonita and others about Irv.

The Vikings media were buzzing about quotes that Nick Barnett targeted Adrian Peterson in the first meeting in 2007. Then before the second GB/MN game, one of the Vikings coaches stood up and offered $500k to the guy that took out Barnett. This got the Vikings media revved about Bountygate. In reality, the Packers and just about every team has offered incentive for big plays, big hits, and likely for knocking opponents out of the game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre didn't quit GB when he did or had stuck around Aaron might have gone to another team.
If that had happened maybe we would have been a lot worse than we are during the losing times.
As frustrated as I get with this team, I'd rather not be rooting for one that is in the cellar year after year with barely a glimmer of hope.

Too soon to think of Aaron's replacement.
Will be interesting to see if the winning seasons will continue whoever it may be.
Is it too much to ask for three winning HOF talented QBs in a row?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if he said," hey grandpa, I'm here to take your job" or anything else. I enjoyed all the years with Favre, even the bad ones, and I'm enjoying all the ones with Rodgers. But nothing sells books like controversy and people eat it up

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it curious that there are those who make such a big deal out of nothing with how Aaron allegedly greeted Brett for the first time.
More so than the first words of what the Pope says to a world leader when they first meet.
And yet the rest of everything else in the excerpt gets glossed over which I think has more significance.
I understood it was bad between Favre to Rodgers but no idea it was that bad, if true.

D

Deleted member 6794

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but there's definitely a big difference in the locker room between a joking 'Hello grandpa!' between two long time teammates who give each other a hard time all the time, and the same comment from a brand new rookie meeting a HOF caliber quarterback .

My guess is that it wasn't the first thing he said to him and he was joking, but he probably said it sooner than he should have.

I agree that the truth most likely is somewhere in the middle as Rodgers was probably joking but Favre didn't take it that way.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree that the truth most likely is somewhere in the middle as Rodgers was probably joking but Favre didn't take it that way.

Really good players like Favre and Rodgers can sometimes get away with having big ego's due to their skill level. Other players may not internally like it, but accept it due to what that particular big ego player does for a team. The danger of the big ego is when that players level of play doesn't match his ego, he is now opening himself up to more criticism and probably less tolerance of his ego from fans, media and his teammates. I think we have seen that over the last year with Rodgers and his reaction to it as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts