Goats of the Week

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know the refs were bad when it's not just Packer fans, but members of the national media, who point out how bad they stunk. This is from Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column in SI:

Goats of the Week

Referee Terry McAulay's crew at Green Bay-Washington, for an overall poor job and costing the Packers two legitimate touchdowns. First, there was a pathetic holding call on right tackle Mark Tauscher, negating one Favre touchdown pass; there was nothing close to a hold on the play. Last year, the officials were told not to call offensive holding unless it was something an official actually saw. Well, there's no way an official saw holding on Tauscher. Never happened. Then, a second Packers TD throw was negated when Bubba Franks cleanly caught a pass in the corner of the end zone with one foot down before getting driven out of the end zone by Washington cornerback Fred Smoot. Incomplete. Insane.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fount this at www.packersnews.com

The holding calls on Tauscher and left tackle Chad Clifton, which came in a span of three plays and helped stall a red-zone drive that ended with Crosby's 37-yard field goal, were almost identical calls.On both plays, they engaged in legal blocks that become illegal because the ball carrier went from being behind the blocker to in front of the blocker.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071015/PKR0201/710150514/1989

Scroll down to "Did you notice?"

Anyway, I'm not sure about that explanation. They looked like pretty bad calls to me.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
You know the refs were bad when it's not just Packer fans, but members of the national media, who point out how bad they stunk. This is from Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column in SI:

Goats of the Week

Referee Terry McAulay's crew at Green Bay-Washington, for an overall poor job and costing the Packers two legitimate touchdowns. First, there was a pathetic holding call on right tackle Mark Tauscher, negating one Favre touchdown pass; there was nothing close to a hold on the play. Last year, the officials were told not to call offensive holding unless it was something an official actually saw. Well, there's no way an official saw holding on Tauscher. Never happened. Then, a second Packers TD throw was negated when Bubba Franks cleanly caught a pass in the corner of the end zone with one foot down before getting driven out of the end zone by Washington cornerback Fred Smoot. Incomplete. Insane.
THANK YOU for posting that!
I was starting to feel like everyone else in the sports world didn't see what i saw. Now i know it's NOT just the "homer" in me that thought the refs were AWFUL.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The holding calls on Tauscher and left tackle Chad Clifton, which came in a span of three plays and helped stall a red-zone drive that ended with Crosby's 37-yard field goal, were almost identical calls.On both plays, they engaged in legal blocks that become illegal because the ball carrier went from being behind the blocker to in front of the blocker.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071015/PKR0201/710150514/1989

Anyway, I'm not sure about that explanation. They looked like pretty bad calls to me.
HUH????? Since when can you NOT continue to block when a RB goes out in front of an O-lineman? You telling me that every time a RB goes out to try to get open for a pass, that the oline has to stop blocking for the QB???
That explanation makes NO sense to me. You'd have holds called on 90% of plays. I thought holding was when you grabbed a d lineman, or got your hands outside of the shoulders?
I think thats a bunch you know what.
(Oh....so you know......I'm not questioning you, just that explanation they tried to give!)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's 2 games in a row. I'm glad this is starting to raise a few eyebrows to even those people who aren't wearing green & gold glasses.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:

HUH????? Since when can you NOT continue to block when a RB goes out in front of an O-lineman? You telling me that every time a RB goes out to try to get open for a pass, that the oline has to stop blocking for the QB???
That explanation makes NO sense to me. You'd have holds called on 90% of plays. I thought holding was when you grabbed a d lineman, or got your hands outside of the shoulders?
(Oh....so you know......I'm not questioning you, just that explanation they tried to give!)

Yeah I don't get it either. Maybe someone here can explain. Or maybe Mike Pereira will address this on Official Review this week.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Goats of the Week

Thank you for finding this. So it's not just Packer fans who caught both TDs. What really ****** me off is not only would we have 28 instead of 17 points (we missed one FG, remember?), Favre would have 11 TD passes, Franks would have 3, and I forgot who the holding one negated. Yes, I'm a stat demon. I love stats.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hold negated the TD pass to Jones.

I hate to use officiating as an excuse, win or lose - but the last 2 games have shown that a crew can have a significant impact on a game. I think that bad calls were made both ways and really impacted the flow of the ballgame.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Makes you wonder if other refs in sports have a gambling problem? Both of those TD's extend the lead past the 3 point margin of the 3.5 line...

Stealing a line from someone here... "I am not saying... I just saying."

It was apparent that the skins couldn't put the ball in the endzone... but FG's were a possiblity...

<END>.... <pointless rant>

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes you wonder if other refs in sports have a gambling problem? Both of those TD's extend the lead past the 3 point margin of the 3.5 line...

It was apparent that the skins couldn't put the ball in the endzone... but FG's were a possiblity...

Yeah, I think it's more than a coincidence. Someone pointed out earlier that the penalties stopped after Woodson got the touchdown and helped the spread.

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers favored by only 3 over Bears, everybody picked the Pack to cover. national game, big money bet and Bears with many national games left equals FIX!

Washington game! Wasn't the line 3 1/2...... The game was not allowed to get out of hand.

Thank God the refs did not do enough to take away the win this time.

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not know what the hell the refs were doing,...I guess they figured since they missed the High/Low (Illegal) block on Cullen Jenkins previously they would make up for it buy calling a phantom hold on Tauscher. (tongue firmly implanted in cheek) :hammer:

Pack93z

Reaction score
I do not know what the hell the refs were doing,...I guess they figured since they missed the High/Low (Illegal) block on Cullen Jenkins previously they would make up for it buy calling a phantom hold on Tauscher. (tongue firmly implanted in cheek) :hammer:

We are lucky he didn't blow a knee out there.. it was an horrible play by the Redskins on that one.. you never chop a guy that is ingauged...

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
MidwestFavreFan said:

Yeah I don't get it either. Maybe someone here can explain. Or maybe Mike Pereira will address this on Official Review this week.

I think that they allow blockers to grab a little bit of the opponent's jersey as long as they have inside position with their hands, but maybe this becomes an illegal block when the ballcarrier moves past the defender, because then the defender is being held back from pursuit. I saw that Clifton did get just a bit of the opponent's jersey. I didn't see Tauscher do this.

At least this rule would provide a partial explanation for those calls, although I still think the one on Tauscher stunk.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch Kampman on the TD pass to their TE. But Tausch was holding. Mhm. Sure.
I nearly lost my voice at the game yelling to the ref that he was an *******.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you and the rest of packer nation... and it seems, also people who are not part of packer nation. I'm actually starting to get suspicious of some of these refs.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually I think the same thing. I try not to but you can't but help to wonder especially since what is happening in the NBA.

The holds were "touchy" calls and the Franks pass was a clear force out in my opinion.

We won but we could've won 28 to 14 instead.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Actually I think the same thing. I try not to but you can't but help to wonder especially since what is happening in the NBA.

The holds were "touchy" calls and the Franks pass was a clear force out in my opinion.

We won but we could've won 28 to 14 instead.

Yeah you don't want to think it, but it is out there.. even though the NFL tries to police it alot better than the NBA or for that matter any other leagues or sports.. it still creeps in..

That is sad too.. because most of the Refs/umps don't deserve that type of questioning.. but it is out there.. Money is the root of all evil.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats what i said in a different thread........about the NBA ref that got caught. You can't help but wonder when there are calls that bad, 2 games in a row. I mean, is the mafia threatening these refs before the games? Or do they have some side bets in Vegas? I saw guys on the Washington O-line pulling our guys down SEVERAL times, with no call made. Our guy TOUCHES their D man, and a flag gets thrown. Not once, but TWICE.
Has to make you wonder.

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was in a big sports bar in Charlotte; lots of skins fans, few GB fans. After that play, the skins fans at the next table couldn't believe it. Conversation was something like:
- Flag! baby! bring it back!!! [Cowboys fans boo the call]
[call and replay]
- Who'd they call holding on? That guy?
- Yeah
- Wow...
- Yeah, that's a really bad call [Cowboys fans still hollering / booing]
- Wow, we got a gift...

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just re-watched the game for the first time and wow. I mean WOW. We were lucky to get a win with the evident determination of these officials to give this one to the Skins.

I mean, I always think that good teams overcome poor calls. But these weren't poor. They were SHYTE!!

I still can't believe the non-force out call, which should have at least been a PI. Smoot never turned his head even, and made contact before the catch.

Bad, bad bad bad BAD holding calls twice on a very good drive to rob us of points and a good lead.

pretty questionable on the illegal contact calls all day, as well.

Not even a glance in Jenkins direction when he GOT HIS KNEE EFFING INJURED by an illegal block.

This game was sloppily done by The Packers, Redskins, but mostly by the Officiating crew.

I know we won, but I'm still really pi$$3d.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I know pib...I re watched it today as well..( you werent looking over my shoulder were ya?)

It is amazing what you see the 2nd time around...

The skins didnt get some calls either, at least one face mask should been called on our D really sticks out

But in general, I think the Pack did get hurt more by the refs

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just an old suspicious fart willing to see the worst in people with any kind of power, such as Refs. I saw it during our game with the Giants. The Packers led by three with the line at 3 1/2. For a while it looked as if it would stay that way...in fact I told my wife it would end that way. Luckily, the Packers got hot then. I DO hope some good will come out of the ******** the Packers have been getting. Packer fans can grumble all they want...no one will pay attention. But now, others are speaking up and THAT could make a difference. The NFL is adamant that no body can question it's officials, but that doesn't apply to those not playing or coaching. If the Commish has any balls, he'll address the issue.(behind closed doors, of course.)

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One or two bad calls on big plays can make a huge difference and in the NFL where "making a play" is so vital to winning it can kill a team.

We should have been winning this game going away. The officials were not going to have it.

I really had to bite my tongue listening to Skins' players after that game. It's amazing how fast amnesia sets in sometimes.

They were talking about how they should have won and they were lucky to even be in it.

TexasPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My GF had to stop me from yelling. I have acute bronchitis so yelling wasn't the best thing to do trying to get well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts