1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

GO LIONS

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Raider Pride, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Tomorrow.... The Grey Cup.

Go B.C.

WINNIPEG -- Lions linebacker Carl Kidd was asked if anyone is ever motivated by bulletin board material during Grey Cup week, and it would not be surprising to see his response cut and pasted onto a wall by one of the Montreal Alouettes this weekend.

"I don't need no more motivation," Kidd said yesterday. "I heard they're guaranteeing wins, they're mad because they're not getting the respect. Hey, they should have played good during the season to get respect. We earned our respect, ain't nobody giving us our respect ... we went out and took our respect."

Not only are the Lions favoured by more than a touchdown in tomorrow's Canadian Football League championship game at Canad Inns Stadium, they have been lauded as the cream of the crop for most of the week.

They also ended up participating in an impromptu parade across the stage at the league's awards show on Thursday night, winning five outstanding player awards.

"We had the best players, and whatever they won, they deserve," Kidd said. "It's just fortunate that we're playing in the game and our guys won all the awards. So if they need bulletin board talk now, they got it. Point-blank."

And there it is.

The Lions can afford to be confident. They tied a franchise record with 13 wins this year despite injuries that forced the offence to rely on the fingers of three different quarterbacks.

Dave Dickenson, Buck Pierce and Jarious Jackson all saw playing time, and all managed to keep the offence moving forward.

Slotback Geroy Simon was a big reason why, leading the league with 105 receptions en route to his first outstanding player award.

Ryan Thelwell recorded the second-most receptions on the team -- with 53 to his credit.

There is an aura around the whole offence when it runs on all cylinders, especially when Dickenson is at the helm. His small physical stature belies his courage, which might be both his greatest attribute and largest liability.

The 33-year-old was sidelined with post-concussion syndrome for the second time this season, and spent part of September wading through the fog that rolled in after absorbing another heavy blow to the head.

His health, and ability to stay healthy, will be monitored almost as closely as his performance on the field.

Then again, everything is closely monitored during the build-up to the Grey Cup.

"I don't think Montreal needs any more motivation, with the fact that this is the Grey Cup," Lions defensive end Brent Johnson said.

"Both teams are going to be selling out to win this thing."

Montreal was the best of a mediocre bunch in the East Division, squeaking past Toronto for first place with a win in the season finale.

The Alouettes took advantage of every Argonaut weakness again in the division final to book passage to Winnipeg, but may have exposed a few of their own in the process.

The defence, which used to mirror the aggressive swagger of former coach Don Matthews, has sunk back into the pack.

Montreal allowed opposing quarterbacks one of the highest completions percentages in the league (63%) and allowed more than 100 yards rushing per-game.

2. jdlax

jdlax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Tomorrow is going to be one hell of a day. First the Packers are going to hang a loss on the Patriots, then the Lions are going to slap the Alouettes around, winning the first Grey Cup in forever that they are "supposed" to win, and finally the Canucks are going to lay a beating on the Blackhawks.

3. mikegrubiak

mikegrubiak Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    For a minute I thought you meant the Detroit Lions! :shock:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

4. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder who would win a battle between the Lions? LOL
    I hope BC will win but even though the GC is in my backyard I really don't care much

5. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh now it's finally time for the only good part of the GC. Here comes NELLY Furtado. To bad she's gotta be bundled up and hide her best ASSets

6. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    So did I because it was not in the NFL forum. Just like Detroit.

7. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the Lions won the cup and then they broke the trophy. There's a joke in there somewhere but I'm not feeling creative today