Go get Claiborne

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Revis is done, Carr and House provide no upside, the only corner on the market left with any chance to make an impact next season is Morris Claiborne. Just turned 27, number 6 overall in 2012, and shown flashes of excellence when healthy. I've watched interviews of him and seems like a level headed guy who knows he has a lot to prove. I think there's a good chance he bounces back from injury and ends up a gem. I say bring him along and let Randall and Rollins compete for the no 2 spot while we let a rook develop. I don't see any other realistic options at this point after missing out on Gilmore and Bouye.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say if we pull in Hightower we have a good MLB group or if we sign barwin clay back inside a good lb group and get house or Claiborne we might have something if Randall can step up

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd rather have House. He's played well in this defense and isn't so injury prone. Sign House, draft a corner.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about Claiborne. When healthy he's shown that he can be one of the better cbs in the league. I'd take the chance on him still being relatively young to be able to get over the injury hump. House doesn't move the needle at all and doesn't really solve any problems, we can get depth and production that he would provide via the draft imo

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd rather have House. He's played well in this defense and isn't so injury prone. Sign House, draft a corner.

The Packers desperately need a #1 cornerback. House isn't capable of taking over that role.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think House would benefit from a change of scenery and being back with a defense he performed well in but he definitely can not be the only move at cb. Claiborne and House would actually be doable financially and would be an improvement. The Packers still have a decent amount of money left since perry's deal is a smaller cap hit next year and Bennetts deal wasn't huge.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is literally no one left at corner that I think has good value. House & trade are the options IMO. Get Haden from CLE. Good player from a 3-4 D with a HORRIFIC pass rush. That really put the pressure on him to perform unlike guys from teams with GREAT pass rushes.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is literally no one left at corner that I think has good value. House & trade are the options IMO. Get Haden from CLE. Good player from a 3-4 D with a HORRIFIC pass rush. That really put the pressure on him to perform unlike guys from teams with GREAT pass rushes.

Hayden has not been very good the past couple years

ChsPackerBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with Claiborne with his injury history. What I would do though is sign Barwin and House, then draft TJ Watt in the first and a solid CB in the second(This years draft is deep at CB). That would give us a very solid pass rush with a decent at best secondary for next year.

Unfortunately I don't think we will have the ability (money) to find a player that could sure up our #1 CB spot but again if it was me and I HAD to then I would trade our 2nd round pick for Trumaine Johnson and grab another CB in the third. Giving us a solid pass rush and a true #1 CB in the lineup.

D

Deleted member 6794

The pickings are currently extremely thin at cornerback but bringing back House doesn't address the need for a #1 cornerback.

Unfortunately I don't think we will have the ability (money) to find a player that could sure up our #1 CB spot but again if it was me and I HAD to then I would trade our 2nd round pick for Trumaine Johnson and grab another CB in the third.

There's absolutely no reason to trade for Johnson who has been franchise tagged at over $16 million for next season.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with Claiborne with his injury history. What I would do though is sign Barwin and House, then draft TJ Watt in the first and a solid CB in the second(This years draft is deep at CB). That would give us a very solid pass rush with a decent at best secondary for next year.

Unfortunately I don't think we will have the ability (money) to find a player that could sure up our #1 CB spot but again if it was me and I HAD to then I would trade our 2nd round pick for Trumaine Johnson and grab another CB in the third. Giving us a solid pass rush and a true #1 CB in the lineup.

Trumaine Johnson is an average starting CB set to make 16 million next year..... Hell ****ing no to that much less sending out a 2nd round pick for the right to pay him that

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House is a better option for us. Not injury prone Claiborne who was a bust in Dallas!
I dont recall watching a lot of Claiborne, but what I saw he looked poor to average. I remember chuckling to myself on more than 1 occassion that dallas wasted a high #1 on him.

House was a solid player who we matched up at times with the opponents #1. He is a wiser signing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers desperately need a #1 cornerback. House isn't capable of taking over that role.

Do you have this reply copied and ready to paste at all times? Which #1 corner is sitting out there to sign?

House was a capable player in this defense. Signing him and drafting a corner would help a lot more than merely saying "we need a #1" over and over again.

OP
OP
C

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Here's a short highlight video of Claiborne. He's a good route reader and very good at closing out tackles. He did a stellar job on OBJ and AJ Green last season so we know he's very capable.

The problem with Davon House is that he's not very good, and if you add him to the mix of Randall, Rollins, and Gunter then your competition at the CB position is left to 4 guys who are all at this point one step away from being out of the league. With 12 going on 34, we need to take a risk to get a number one corner and Claiborne is the only one left with the skill set to do so. I think the most important task for TT this spring is to make sure we don't see a repeat of the second half in Dallas and the massacre in Atlanta at the hands of our absent pass rush and miserable corner play. We can't just put our heads in the sand and pretend like everything is alright. The Pats are currently stacking their roster to bring # 6 for Brady by going out and getting themselves another impact corner. At this point, we have the worst collection of cbs in the league and we are in desperate need of talent at the position. Relying on a 21 year old in the draft to be the game changer we desperately need is unwise and should not be the main course of action.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Here's a short highlight video of Claiborne. He's a good route reader and very good at closing out tackles. He did a stellar job on OBJ and AJ Green last season so we know he's very capable.

The problem with Davon House is that he's not very good, and if you add him to the mix of Randall, Rollins, and Gunter then your competition at the CB position is left to 4 guys who are all at this point one step away from being out of the league. With 12 going on 34, we need to take a risk to get a number one corner and Claiborne is the only one left with the skill set to do so. I think the most important task for TT this spring is to make sure we don't see a repeat of the second half in Dallas and the massacre in Atlanta at the hands of our absent pass rush and miserable corner play. We can't just put our heads in the sand and pretend like everything is alright. The Pats are currently stacking their roster to bring # 6 for Brady by going out and getting themselves another impact corner. At this point, we have the worst collection of cbs in the league and we are in desperate need of talent at the position. Relying on a 21 year old in the draft to be the game changer we desperately need is unwise and should not be the main course of action.

A stellar player when healthy, but never healthy. We already have Clay Matthews and Nick Perry, no need for another one.

D

Deleted member 6794

I dont recall watching a lot of Claiborne, but what I saw he looked poor to average. I remember chuckling to myself on more than 1 occassion that dallas wasted a high #1 on him.

Claiborne significantly improved before getting injured last season. There's no doubt he's a more talented player than House.

Do you have this reply copied and ready to paste at all times? Which #1 corner is sitting out there to sign?

House was a capable player in this defense. Signing him and drafting a corner would help a lot more than merely saying "we need a #1" over and over again.

It would actually have helped tremendously to sign a #1 cornerback in free agency this offseason. As of right now Claiborne is the most talented player still on the market at the position but a risky one.

You ignoring that House doesn't provide a player capable of filling that role as well as getting annoyed by me pointing it out doesn't improve the Packers defense at all though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing i loved about house was how physical he was. Led to a few injuries early on... Maybe a veteran house who is big and savy enough to stay healthy would be a great thing... I like him.

Claiborn seems like a good option too... Amukamara or whatever his name is, was my hope above claiborn. But da bearz got him...

I believe a good upgrade on the dline would help our olbs and cbs look much much better...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Claiborne significantly improved before getting injured last season. There's no doubt he's a more talented player than House.

It would actually have helped tremendously to sign a #1 cornerback in free agency this offseason. As of right now Claiborne is the most talented player still on the market at the position but a risky one.

You ignoring that House doesn't provide a player capable of filling that role as well as getting annoyed by me pointing it out doesn't improve the Packers defense at all though.

It's nonsense to say that a capable player won't help just because they aren't a "#1." By your logic, we shouldn't sign anyone, Claiborne or otherwise. Not a #1, therefore won't help right?

House has played well in this system, is young, and has always been talented. Claiborne had like 7 good games last year in a system dissimilar to the Packers' and is notoriously fragile. I fail to see the huge discrepancy between the two guys. Other than maybe what your PFF grades said about 2016. But that's reductive because it fails to factor scheme and is heavily colored by a recency bias.

Members online

Latest posts