Gm rankings for draft

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This article aside, the early returns (year 5 is still early for a GM) have been really positive for Gutekunst.

He could stand to improve his hit rate a bit further down the draft, but fan perception is skewed on that because very few people are properly calibrated in their expectations. What I mean is that drafting impact players after the 3rd round becomes exceedingly rare. Getting starters like MVS and Runyan on day 3 is pretty solid work in that range.

He's had a good track record so far at the top of the draft. It appears that he's drafted 7 impact players in the top 100 from 2018-2021. And that's even considering that he spent one of his 1st round picks on a QB who he thought he was going to need.

He got rid of one of the most overrated coaches in the league and replaced him with one of the best young offensive minds in football. LaFleur doesn't get credit because he has Rodgers, but his three year stretch of 39-10 is the best in Packers' history, with Rodgers or otherwise.

He navigated all the Rodgers craziness and managed to get him back in the building and content despite Adams not wishing to return.

He's made the moves to keep the top talent on the roster, except in the case of Adams, who wanted to leave, for whom he got a 1st and 2nd round pick.

He's facilitated the necessary coordinator adjustments.

And his instincts for pro acquisitions have been outstanding, both at the high end (Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Adrian Amos, Billy Turner) and low end (De'Vondre Campbell, Rasul Douglas, Allen Lazard).

Honestly, the one blotch on his record is the move for Jordan Love. And that was a mistake, but fans are completely unfair in how they assess it. They act as though Rodgers was an MVP coming into that draft. In reality he appeared to be on the decline, statistically. He hadn't hit a 100 passing rating for three straight seasons, and hadn't been above 110 for five seasons. Had he continued playing at that level, it would have made sense to replace him.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This article aside, the early returns (year 5 is still early for a GM) have been really positive for Gutekunst.

He could stand to improve his hit rate a bit further down the draft, but fan perception is skewed on that because very few people are properly calibrated in their expectations. What I mean is that drafting impact players after the 3rd round becomes exceedingly rare. Getting starters like MVS and Runyan on day 3 is pretty solid work in that range.

He's had a good track record so far at the top of the draft. It appears that he's drafted 7 impact players in the top 100 from 2018-2021. And that's even considering that he spent one of his 1st round picks on a QB who he thought he was going to need.

He got rid of one of the most overrated coaches in the league and replaced him with one of the best young offensive minds in football. LaFleur doesn't get credit because he has Rodgers, but his three year stretch of 39-10 is the best in Packers' history, with Rodgers or otherwise.

He navigated all the Rodgers craziness and managed to get him back in the building and content despite Adams not wishing to return.

He's made the moves to keep the top talent on the roster, except in the case of Adams, who wanted to leave, for whom he got a 1st and 2nd round pick.

And his instincts for pro acquisitions have been outstanding, both at the high end (Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Adrian Amos, Billy Turner) and low end (De'Vondre Campbell, Rasul Douglas, Allen Lazard).

Honestly, the one blotch on his record is the move for Jordan Love. And that was a mistake, but fans are completely unfair in how they assess it. They act as though Rodgers was an MVP coming into that draft. In reality he appeared to be on the decline, statistically. He hadn't hit a 100 passing rating for three straight seasons, and hasn't been above 110 for five seasons. Had he continued playing at that level, it would have made sense to replace him.

Worth quoting and encouraging all to read.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Honestly, the one blotch on his record is the move for Jordan Love. And that was a mistake, but fans are completely unfair in how they assess it. They act as though Rodgers was an MVP coming into that draft. In reality he appeared to be on the decline, statistically. He hadn't hit a 100 passing rating for three straight seasons, and hasn't been above 110 for five seasons. Had he continued playing at that level, it would have made sense to replace him.
I agree with all of this though I must add one more negative. Not getting rid of the ST coach mid-season last year was a critical mis-step.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all of this though I must add one more negative. Not getting rid of the ST coach mid-season last year was a critical mis-step.

Eh, I’d have supported a mid season cuttings but I also know mid season nothing drastic can change.

We now because he didn’t signed perhaps the best or one of the top five best ST coaches in the league.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Yeah, I agree with that too.

It would normally be strange to say that a move as drastic as firing a coordinator mid-season should have been a no-brainer, but Drayton was actually just that bad. Should have happened.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If I was going to get really specific, I would say that Gutekunst needs to do a better job in the 3rd round.

You can typically still find good players at a decent clip in that round, but he's yet to do it. Oren Burks, Jace Sternberger, Josiah Deguara, Amari Rodgers.

Hopefully Sean Rhyan can reverse the trend.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly, the one blotch on his record is the move for Jordan Love. And that was a mistake, but fans are completely unfair in how they assess it. They act as though Rodgers was an MVP coming into that draft. In reality he appeared to be on the decline, statistically. He hadn't hit a 100 passing rating for three straight seasons, and hadn't been above 110 for five seasons. Had he continued playing at that level, it would have made sense to replace him.

In my opinion a lot of fans unfairly assess Rodgers' performance in the seasons leading up to the Packers drafting Love as well. It's true his passer rating dropped since he won his second MVP in 2014 but he was still leading the league in TD/INT ratio from 2015-19.

It seems to me that was MLF's call and not a decision made by Gutekunst.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just curious how many fans calling for the mid season firing of the ST coordinator were appalled that the Packers fired McCarthy before the end of the season

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just curious how many fans calling for the mid season firing of the ST coordinator were appalled that the Packers fired McCarthy before the end of the season
I went back and forth with Drayton, mostly because I couldn't figure out how a guy that really did look and act the part and seemed to be respected by his players was getting such horrible results every week. I wouldn't have said much had they fired him mid season, he was earning it.

But he was a what, 1st year ST coach? Not that you'd fire him in a game and make him buy his own ticket home, you can still be respectful about it and do it in season. I didn't like they fired a guy who had been very successful and brought another Lombardi home when things were rough and in season. I don't think they were horrible about it, but I don't think they gained a lot in doing it. They interviewed guys the same and hired at the end of our season like they would have had MM finished the season.

anyway, I think theres a pretty big distinction between a 1st time coordinator and a super bowl winning coach with a decade dedicated to a team.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In my opinion a lot of fans unfairly assess Rodgers' performance in the seasons leading up to the Packers drafting Love as well. It's true his passer rating dropped since he won his second MVP in 2014 but he was still leading the league in TD/INT ratio from 2015-19.

He was still a good quarterback, there's no doubt about it.

But if he was still a ~95 Passer Rating type of player and they gave him 50M AAV, they would all but eliminate their chances of winning a Super Bowl.

If you want a real shot at a ring with an expensive QB, he has to be elite. Paying a giant chunk of your cap for "good" isn't going to get it done.

So I think the FO looked at who he has been for 3 straight seasons and knew that if things didn't change, they'd need to move on rather than extend him again.

Then things changed.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My bad. I thought Gute was MLF's boss.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts