Glad we didn't trade Hundley this offseason

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to sign quality QB. Who is out there RGIII, Kapernick, maybe Romo. If Matt Flynn if still in shape he might be an option. Or we trade for someone. If we don't make a move our seasons is over.

Sign a quality QB? You can't find a quality QB in free agency in March let alone in October. RGIII? Come on, this guy couldn't make the Browns, who haven't had a decent QB since, pretty much Bernie Moser.

Matt Flynn hasn't thrown a pass in 3 years. I seriously doubt he's a realistic option at this point.

Kaepernick is probably the best out there but it would probably take weeks to get him up to speed on the offense.

They will sink or swim with Hundley. They are high on him and it's his 3rd year in the system. It doesn't really pay to draft and groom a backup QB if you're going to bail on him after 3 quarters when thrown into a fire with no practice against a top D behind 40% of his regular healthy offensive line.

Maybe Hundley succeeds, maybe he doesn't, but signing a guy off the street isn't going to keep the season from being over if it's over. There is no replacement for Aaron Rodgers walking through the door.

annuvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few names to keep an eye on as a replacement: Romo, RGIII,Eli Manning, Kapernick, Ryan Mallett.

Romo? He's out of football shape, was injury prone when fit and on the wrong side of 35 to make a comeback.
RGIII? He couldn't hack it in Cleveland, for the love of god.
Manning is under contract. Why would you want to sell the farm to get him when Rodgers will be returning by next season at the latest?

The only two QBs on this list worth considering are Mallett and Kap. Politics aside, Kap would offer the most upside IMHO.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he's under contract. As bad as the Giants are, no way they part with the guy who gives them the best chance to win.

Btw, in case anyone forgot, Flynn in his first serious relief duty against Detroit had no TD passes and our offense managed a measly 3 points. Hundley can say a little more than that at least. I still am concerned about our running game struggles though because I think he's gotta get help from it.

They knocked off Denver tonight they looked good.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, the drop in Kap's play had a lot to do with the entire 49er franchise falling into decline. It's hard to look good when everyone around you is failing. Prior to that, Kap led his team to the SB, which is something a lot of very good QBs in the league have yet to do.

That being said, the Packers owe Hundley a chance. His role up to now was to practice, learn and prepare in the event something like this were to happen. If he was never considered "the guy" to replace Rodgers in the event of a disaster like this, why would the team waste their time and his paying him for nothing?

Partially true but you missed the part about Frank Gore. I really don't believe Kaep can succeed without a 2000 yard rusher on his team. Frank Gore was actually a better RB than Adrian Peterson in his prime and people don't understand that. Frank Gore was 100℅ responsible for Kaepernick's success.

D

Deleted member 6794

Partially true but you missed the part about Frank Gore. I really don't believe Kaep can succeed without a 2000 yard rusher on his team. Frank Gore was actually a better RB than Adrian Peterson in his prime and people don't understand that. Frank Gore was 100℅ responsible for Kaepernick's success.

Gore didn't rush for more than 1,214 yards in a season after 2006. The Niners' defense was mostly responsible for them having tremendous success early this decade.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Here I thought it was the Packers defense that was mostly responsible for Kaepernick's success? :coffee:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't really understand why people are looking for the Packers to bring in someone besides Hundley. They've drafted him, developed him, and he's talented. It's time to see what he's got.

If Rodgers isn't coming back, this team isn't going to win a championship. We all know that. So if that's the case, just see what you have in your young QB. If he bombs, you probably have your best draft pick since 2009 and can perhaps land an impact talent to help Rodgers get over the hump once he's back. And if Hundley is good and they win some games, you can flip him for a nice pick or two.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My biggest fear at this point is that the OL will never get it all together so that we can actually see who Hundley is.

McCray-Patrick-Linsley-Evans-John ain't gonna give him a chance.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really understand why people are looking for the Packers to bring in someone besides Hundley. They've drafted him, developed him, and he's talented. It's time to see what he's got.

If Rodgers isn't coming back, this team isn't going to win a championship. We all know that. So if that's the case, just see what you have in your young QB. If he bombs, you probably have your best draft pick since 2009 and can perhaps land an impact talent to help Rodgers get over the hump once he's back. And if Hundley is good and they win some games, you can flip him for a nice pick or two.

pretty much lol

The ONLY guy i would consider trading for is Cousins(if he were available) but that would mean giving up on AR, which is stupid

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My biggest fear at this point is that the OL will never get it all together so that we can actually see who Hundley is.

McCray-Patrick-Linsley-Evans-John ain't gonna give him a chance.

That OL could even get Hundley killed! "Funny" thing about AR's injury yesterday, I think it happened while he the "starting 5" OL were in?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I seem to remember a lot of folks complaining about Rodgers when he first took over at starting QB. I say lets get behind the kid and give him a chance.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That OL could even get Hundley killed! "Funny" thing about AR's injury yesterday, I think it happened while he the "starting 5" OL were in?

That's true, but the hit also happened about 5-6 seconds after the snap and after Rodgers had left the pocket. So I wouldn't put that on his line. If he's going to scramble and draw a linebacker who's spying him, his line can't really do anything about that. They were all engaged with the DL and away from the play when it took place.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's true, but the hit also happened about 5-6 seconds after the snap and after Rodgers had left the pocket. So I wouldn't put that on his line. If he's going to scramble and draw a linebacker who's spying him, his line can't really do anything about that. They were all engaged with the DL and away from the play when it took place.

That was why I said "funny".....I totally expected that kind of hit over the last 3-4 weeks with all the shuffling of the OL. Maybe had some of the starters not been in......AR would have been taken down unhurt.....3 seconds earlier ;)

Bottom line, it sucks. The state of the OL sucked with all the injuries, but now with a backup QB in, who doesn't have nearly the abilities of #12, nor to do it under constant pressure, it's going to be trial by fire for Hundley.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That was why I said "funny".....I totally expected that kind of hit over the last 3-4 weeks with all the shuffling of the OL. Maybe had some of the starters not been in......AR would have been taken down unhurt.....3 seconds earlier ;)

Bottom line, it sucks. The state of the OL sucked with all the injuries, but now with a backup QB in, who doesn't have nearly the abilities of #12, nor to do it under constant pressure, it's going to be trial by fire for Hundley.

Oh I see. I'm a little slow today. Good one!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh I see. I'm a little slow today. Good one!

I think we all half expected AR to get hit hard and possibly injured during that period of an influx of talent and inexperience on the OL. However, to have that happen when the starting 5 are finally playing and it's a simple roll out, a play he does quite a bit, just made it even worse IMO, not that there is any situation that makes it "good".

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think we all half expected AR to get hit hard and possibly injured during that period of an influx of talent and inexperience on the OL. However, to have that happen when the starting 5 are finally playing and it's a simple roll out, a play he does quite a bit, just made it even worse IMO, not that there is any situation that makes it "good".

Kind of illustrative of the reality that sometimes football is brutal and it's no one's fault.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your description of the play reminded me of how that simple roll out play should have been an easy catch and first down to Martellus Bennet, but instead ... it was yet another drop. Obviously the loss of Rodgers on that play is paramount, but if we can't get better production out of the other players on this team when Rodgers IS playing, I don't hold out much hope for Hundley.... Oh and Nice TD catch Monty... not....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Your description of the play reminded me of how that simple roll out play should have been an easy catch and first down to Martellus Bennet, but instead ... it was yet another drop. Obviously the loss of Rodgers on that play is paramount, but if we can't get better production out of the other players on this team when Rodgers IS playing, I don't hold out much hope for Hundley.... Oh and Nice TD catch Monty... not....

Yes, so far I can see why Teams don't hold on to Marty, so much potential, but seems to lack focus on every play. He makes some great plays and follows them up with those. I think Monty was twisted around too much and probably didn't realize he had nobody around him and was bracing himself for a hit and trying to stretch it out for a TD, when all he had to do was secure the ball and walk in. I could feel that reversal coming and as Aikman said, had that not been reversed, there would have been a whole bunch of Cowboy fans complaining.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign a quality QB? You can't find a quality QB in free agency in March let alone in October. RGIII? Come on, this guy couldn't make the Browns, who haven't had a decent QB since, pretty much Bernie Moser.

Matt Flynn hasn't thrown a pass in 3 years. I seriously doubt he's a realistic option at this point.

Kaepernick is probably the best out there but it would probably take weeks to get him up to speed on the offense.

They will sink or swim with Hundley. They are high on him and it's his 3rd year in the system. It doesn't really pay to draft and groom a backup QB if you're going to bail on him after 3 quarters when thrown into a fire with no practice against a top D behind 40% of his regular healthy offensive line.

Maybe Hundley succeeds, maybe he doesn't, but signing a guy off the street isn't going to keep the season from being over if it's over. There is no replacement for Aaron Rodgers walking through the door.

You going to know if Hundley can be starting QB after 2 full games... sign veteran as insurance makes sense. If Hundley can handle it we all good.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, so far I can see why Teams don't hold on to Marty, so much potential, but seems to lack focus on every play. He makes some great plays and follows them up with those. I think Monty was twisted around too much and probably didn't realize he had nobody around him and was bracing himself for a hit and trying to stretch it out for a TD, when all he had to do was secure the ball and walk in. I could feel that reversal coming and as Aikman said, had that not been reversed, there would have been a whole bunch of Cowboy fans complaining.

Pretty much.

He was a big stud based off "potential" even when he was A&M.. I think at one point people had him as a high 1st round draft pick

He's like that guy you have on Madden who has very high potential, great body/frame, etc and you hope to develop him into something unstoppable

But this isn't a video game and he loses focus too often

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You going to know if Hundley can be starting QB after 2 full games... sign veteran as insurance makes sense. If Hundley can handle it we all good.

Well by then we'd likely be 4-4 and doubtful any veteran QB available is going to save the season at that point anyway.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much.

He was a big stud based off "potential" even when he was A&M.. I think at one point people had him as a high 1st round draft pick

He's like that guy you have on Madden who has very high potential, great body/frame, etc and you hope to develop him into something unstoppable

But this isn't a video game and he loses focus too often

Marty is very high on the list right now of 'guys who need to step up now.'

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Willing to place a friendly wager? Hundley is going to win at least 1 game probably more.
Boy, you're really going out on a limb here. One game? Even the blind squirrel finds the nut.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to see a full game from Brett Hundley first before judging him fully. This was a tough situation to be thrown into especially again that defense. He showed signs of potential with that back shoulder throw and the one he threw while rolling to his left. I think with a week to prepare, building some confidence, and confidence from his teammates. You could literally see the WRs just bummed so bad its like they weren't even giving Hundley a chance.
If he is absolutely horrible at least they have a bye to figure what to do...
Did you watch Hundley in preseason? The guy has regressed since the first preseason. He looked the same yesterday. He made a few plays and then tossed ints., looked lost, and sucked.

Members online

Latest posts