Glad we didn't trade Hundley this offseason

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Hopefully, with some reps this upcoming week or two, Huntley turns into everything we hope.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully, with some reps this upcoming week or two, Huntley turns into everything we hope.

yea he was pretty good.. .but that Oline and out defense are still HUGE question marks, makes the "Rodgers window" debate re open

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he was thrown into a terrible situation with no help from a bad defense, expect for the one interception...

no practice reps either I'm assuming
I agree with the reasons that he Did Not look pretty good.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still wish we'd kept Hill. Hill had a swagger about him that is important for a QB. I've never seen that in Hundley. QB has to be a confident leader. Hundley strikes me as a follower.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so what about Callahan???

I think ya'll are forgetting that Hundley at least knows the playbook and has "some idea" of what's going on out there....

Our Oline looks pathetic though

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Callahan would struggle behind this OL right now. You need a guy with pocket awareness and scrambling ability to get us through until AR is back. Hundley has some good tools, but his pocket awareness is abysmal. Taysom Hill fits the bill perfectly and he has a grasp of the playbook. I would trade a conditional draft pick for him right now. Hell, I'd throw in Butterfingers Bennett too.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Callahan would struggle behind this OL right now. You need a guy with pocket awareness and scrambling ability to get us through until AR is back. Hundley has some good tools, but his pocket awareness is abysmal. Taysom Hill fits the bill perfectly and he has a grasp of the playbook. I would trade a conditional draft pick for him right now. Hell, I'd throw in Butterfingers Bennett too.

true about the pocket awareness

You can tell Hundley can't sense pressure at all

But I think people are overlooking his physical tools... can he scramble, move, do bootlegs? Yes
Does he have a pretty good arm? I think so

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To me, the only guy in the league who wouldn't struggle behind the current o-line just broke his collarbone.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true about the pocket awareness

You can tell Hundley can't sense pressure at all

But I think people are overlooking his physical tools... can he scramble, move, do bootlegs? Yes
Does he have a pretty good arm? I think so

The problem is he doesn't recognize when it's time to scramble. He waits too long and gets in trouble. He's an easy sack.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, the only guy in the league who wouldn't struggle behind the current o-line just broke his collarbone.

Granted, but you have to go with the guy who gives you the best chance. Letting Hill go was a mistake. Lot of similarity to Majik in his prime.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are going to have to get him on the move more. He's a sitting duck in the pocket.

Which will be a lot easier now that he will be the number one guy in practice.

They can build everything around him and the current o line, rather than having plan that was set for Rodgers and all five starters for once.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they're going over familiarity with Hundley over Hill/Callahan...

The Saints (who ironically picked up Callahan last year too I believe) have Daniel backing up Brees so maybe a 6th or late round for Hill would do it??

The problem with this though is you don't have a very big "sample size" with Hill... you're going off his preseason performance which was outstanding but only ONE preseason

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which will be a lot easier now that he will be the number one guy in practice.

They can built everything around him and the current o line, rather than having plan that was set for Rodgers and all five starters for once.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how they look next year

He had a few nice throws including the back shoulder throw to Jordy that not a lot of QBs can make so I would give him at leat one more start

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am curious to see how this will turn out. Obviously the picks and the off target passes were tough to watch, but he had some good throws too. Biggest difficulty we're going to have now is having to play perfect football with drive management. What I mean is a QB like Hundley just isn't going to be the guy who's going to be digging you out of holes on down and distance, or at least not the way Rodgers might.

On another note, going to be interesting to discuss plan B if we're not winning period with Hundley. I will say this though:

1. Forget Romo, if you don't have any offseason workouts and have a bad back, you can't just be rushed out onto the field. It's never happened before and it won't happen now. Nothing to do with liking or not liking the guy, just looking at the fact that he's hung up his cletes, is settled into his new job at CBS, and it would take at least a month to get him ready if he even wanted to return to the field.

2. I saw Kaepernick's name floated around, and while he might be more skilled than Hundley, I'm not sure we wanna go there either, and it has nothing to do with off the field stuff and everything about on the field performance. I mean since the mid point of 2014 on out, his play has just been awful. Terrible decision-making on his throws. Also didn't understand that one poster who said he knew the west coast offense cuz I guarantee you that offense he ran under Harbaugh/Roman is vastly different from MM's. And last but not least for him to succeed, he has to have a dominant 2k rusher on his team like Frank Gore was. We can't offer him a run game here.

3. I'm wondering if we give the Ravens or Falcons a call to see what they want for Mallet or Schaub

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I still fault McCarthy, with the hits Rodgers was taking Huntley should have been getting more reps, this was going to happen at some point...

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am curious to see how this will turn out. Obviously the picks and the off target passes were tough to watch, but he had some good throws too. Biggest difficulty we're going to have now is having to play perfect football with drive management. What I mean is a QB like Hundley just isn't going to be the guy who's going to be digging you out of holes on down and distance, or at least not the way Rodgers might.

On another note, going to be interesting to discuss plan B if we're not winning period with Hundley. I will say this though:

1. Forget Romo, if you don't have any offseason workouts and have a bad back, you can't just be rushed out onto the field. It's never happened before and it won't happen now. Nothing to do with liking or not liking the guy, just looking at the fact that he's hung up his clothes, is settled into his new job at CBS, and it would take at least a month to get him ready if he even wanted to return to the field.

2. I saw Kaepernick's name floated around, and while he might be more skilled than Hundley, I'm not sure we wanna go there either, and it has nothing to do with off the field stuff and everything about on the field performance. I mean since the mid point of 2014 on out, his play has just been awful. Terrible decision-making on his throws. Also didn't understand that one poster who said he knew the west coast offense cuz I guarantee you that offense he ran under Harbaugh/Roman is vastly different from MM's. And last but not least for him to succeed, he has to have a dominant 2k rusher on his team like Frank Gore was. We can't offer him a run game here.

3. I'm wondering if we give the Ravens or Falcons a call to see what they want for Mallet or Schaub

Everything but number 3.

Might as well get a younger guy in his 20s in there... don't need Schaub or Mallet, don't need a bandaid... what will that do honestly???

Hundley had some nice throws indeed but obviously a lack of reps and practice with first team O showed
On a physicality standpoint, besides the fact that he just can't seem to "sense" pressure or guys coming around the corner, he appears to have the "physical tools" to succeed...
At least that's what I saw.

You can't teach some of those things and so it will be interesting to see

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything but number 3.

Might as well get a younger guy in his 20s in there... don't need Schaub or Mallet, don't need a bandaid... what will that do honestly???

Hundley had some nice throws indeed but obviously a lack of reps and practice with first team O showed
On a physicality standpoint, besides the fact that he just can't seem to "sense" pressure or guys coming around the corner, he appears to have the "physical tools" to succeed...
At least that's what I saw.

You can't teach some of those things and so it will be interesting to see

Oh I wasn't questioning Hundley is our guy, it's just plan B scenarios which would assume the worst case for Rodgers timetable and that Hundley had played so bad we lost to the Browns because of it. Those were just two names I threw out there just in case we had to do some shopping. I like the idea of going young too but don't believe there's really any other Jared Goffs out there to grab atm.

Members online

Latest posts