Giving the little man some props…

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a little man on the Packers squad who has played with a target on his back that has drawn plenty of criticism from the fan base. “He is too small,â€

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe he has run it back for a TD a couple of times in his career but only to have it called back for some dumb penalty away from the play. One constant with him is his sure hands. I can't remember who was the the full time returner for them before Antonio but I remember some drops and fumbles. Anybody recall?

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Chatman has really stepped up. He's been making some great catches out there. It will be great to have Ferguson back and have 3 good receivers on the field. We can really mix up the sets then.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello Bruce, wellcome back, IMHO you are 100% right on this guy, I´d rather have someone who is solid in his possition, humble, hard working, willing to compete and someone who gives 110% on every play like Antonio than having a starlett in the team.. I really like what Antonio has done for the team so far this season !!! I hope I can see him having a TD live at Lambeau this monday night I will be there!!!!

Sterling

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko and Bruce,

I heartily agree with your assessment of AC. He has performed admirably in a tough situation. And we all appreciate his sticky hands in fielding punts.
Chamuko,my man, I hope you do see him run one back on Monday night. And you had better bring lots of clothes. It's getting pretty chilly in these parts.
Enjoy your Lambeau experience and bring us a victory.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce...good to hear from you. I have to agree. I am one of the guys that is constantly looking for someone "more explosive and more exciting" returning punts, but you are exactly right in your analysis.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great Post Bruce!

Also to add to your facts...

Our little guy Has 11 Fair Catches, which of course drops his Yards Per Average a great deal, becuase a Fair Catch counts as ZERO yards on a returned punt. In my opinion a Fair Catch should not count as a returned punt becuase by waving off the punt he chose not to return it.

Bobby Wade and Chad Morton have only had to wave off 7 punts compaired to Antonio's 11.

Let's take the top 4 Punt Returners in the NFC and delete their Fair Catches and here is what their Yards Per Average are...

1. Swinton 20.03 YPA
2. Antonio 15.78 YPA
3. Wade 15.41 YPA
4. Morton 13.07 YPA

Take away the Fair Catch flaw in the stat, and he is 2nd.

RP

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce sometimes we need a look at the numbers to challenge our perceptions. See post kick in the head where I looked at Longwells numbers compared to other free agents at the end of the season.

1) Muffed punts. The stat is not kept at NFL.com but Chatman does not muff punts.

2) Roster spot. Chatman is in the receiver rotation and now starts due to injuries. A roster spot is not expended on a return man only.

3) He has kept the compeition at bay during training camps winning the job.

4) He continues to develope a rapport with Bret Favre and has gained his confidence.

He has increased his market value this year. Hats off to him.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allow me to add my praise to this "little" GIANT of a Packer. I, too, at first was disappointed in him as a returner. Hell, I always want every punt to the Packers taken back to the house. But when he stepped into the huge hole the Pack had at WR and played with all of his heart, he won me over. I hope to see him in G & G for many tears.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you can find another Desmond (and that's an ENORMOUS "if") that'd obviously be an upgrade, but as others have said, a solid hard worker that you can't help but cheer for.

BTW...good to have you back Bruce... You are a very level-headed and insightful poster on this board!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to see you back Bruce. Great post. I've always liked Chatman, in spite of the fact that I've always hoped he would be replaced by somebody with more size, speed, or talent. But I think I'm finally to the point where I can say that I'm very happy to have him as our punt returner and #4 receiver who is capable of performing admirably as a starter when called upon. He is deadly on those little slants!

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesehog said:
I believe he has run it back for a TD a couple of times in his career but only to have it called back for some dumb penalty away from the play. One constant with him is his sure hands. I can't remember who was the the full time returner for them before Antonio but I remember some drops and fumbles. Anybody recall?

Darrien Gordon?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notice who is leading the league in punting?

None other than Josh Bidwell... Go figure!

Reaction score
Hey Bruce, long time no see. Good to have you back. You are right about Chatman, he plays beyond his height. Give me a player who has a heart for the game over a player like TO anyday. Chatman has gained the trust of the coaching staff, the fans, and Brett be his work ethic and hard play. He is solid if not spectacular. He has delivered big punt returns in cluth times in the past. Granted they haven't been big, but he is a never say day type of person. I love to be able to watch him play and be a part of the Packers.

Obi1, I am sure the weather plays a factor in allowing Bidwell to punt further. But I am confident in Sander, and I have no worries about the punter position.

Members online

Latest posts